character bashing is it punishible?

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
One thing I always stayed away from is trying to bash someones character or talking bad about a person. If I think that a person is a screw up or whatsoever my believes are that I don't have to tell people that even if it is the truth, it will come out sooner or later anyway. One thing I despise is telling lies about someone by attacking a person's integrity and honesty.
I've been told that here in the DR that is against the law and one can report this to the authorities.
Is this true and does anyone have experience in this?
Would appreciate your comments.

Sep 22, 2009
One thing I always stayed away from is trying to bash someones character or talking bad about a person. If I think that a person is a screw up or whatsoever my believes are that I don't have to tell people that even if it is the truth, it will come out sooner or later anyway. One thing I despise is telling lies about someone by attacking a person's integrity and honesty.
I've been told that here in the DR that is against the law and one can report this to the authorities.
Is this true and does anyone have experience in this?
Would appreciate your comments.

As a non-DR legal guy, I "think" DR follows a similar process for Liable and Slander, as in the US.

Public remarks which result in a provable loss of income, business, etc. MAY be considered a civil trespass. This, as you know is slander. It could be against an individual or an entity.

Printed, published comments which result in the same is considered liable. For example, publishing in the "Times" that company "X" is paying bribes to "Y" political figure is Liable if it is only the assumption of an indiviual or group of individuals.

In DR, I'm sure you can sue anyone for most anything civilly (for the right price), such as the other user commented above. However losing such a case where one accuses another is just as risky as being the accused.

Signed,
Not a licensed attorney

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Does Freedom of Speech exist in the DR--?

If you'd know me than you'd know that I'm far from being afraid. My first idea was to pull a Rambo on the person as I have done many times in my life before but I'm getting too for that. Thanks though for your sympathy,

You are welcome.

Sep 22, 2009
...and even if it is completed the rewards are dismal. Imagine taking something all the way to the Supreme Court only to have an award of RD$1,000,000 handed to you. If you think that would cover the legal costs...you are sadly mistaken.

Honestly, slander and libel cases are generally reserved for Hollywood and big business, where malicious misinformation verbally stated or printed word would result in major income or other personal loss.

Remember, success has enemies.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Sometimes the plaintiff is more interested in the deterrent effect and in clearing his or her name than in the award. That was definitely the case in the Hernani Salazar v. Marino Vinicio Castillo (Vincho) case which resulted in the one million pesos award cited above.