How do they disconnect the new electricity meters?

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
In the "good old days" if you didn't pay your electricity bill they used to come out and turn the meter upside down (apparently). Being an honest timely person :ermm: I have never been disconnected, but I was wondering if anyone had been while owning one of the new digital meters?

Do they still just turn it around the wrong way and assume you don't have the brains to turn it back again, or is it a bit more complicated than that?

Thanks

Feb 7, 2007
From what I have seen, they disconnect your "input" cable and leave the meter there ... makes it easier for people to reconnect. I have seen them doing it in various cities (EdeEste).

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Last week the jerk off actually pulled out the ladder, climbed to the wires and disconnected me that way.

Feb 7, 2007
Last week the jerk off actually pulled out the ladder, climbed to the wires and disconnected me that way.

Yep, that's what I was saying. If you pass your invoice due date by 1 day, you get hit with a 300 pesos reconnection fee, even if no disconnect takes place. You pass your due date by 3 days they come in and bring the scissors.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Wouldn't it actually make the meter run in reverse?

Not the new digital ones. As for the older ones, people used to turn them upside down for the weekend. A good way to lower the numbers. The good old days are gone.

Sep 22, 2009
Not the new digital ones. As for the older ones, people used to turn them upside down for the weekend. A good way to lower the numbers. The good old days are gone.

Funny sh--. At my place up North they tell you they have no new meters. The send a guy to survey the house and send you a bill based on that estimate. They showed up and asked me what appliances I had in the house, without going inside or looking on the roof. Do I need finish the story? lol

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009

I had a friend in the UK who was a heating engineer, he built a heated pool in his garden and used to run his gas meter back to front regularly to keep his bill down. That was in 1980 but I don't think you could get away with it now!