Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Danger from Packs of Dogs

Last night my brother was attacked and bitten by a pack of dogs in Gazcue.

I have lived in Gazcue, Santo Domingo for almost 7 years and consider it to be one of the safer neighborhoods in the city. However, last night my brother, who was visiting, wanted to go out so I took him to the Colonial Zone. He stayed after me and since it's only a 10 minute walk, he decided to walk home instead of pay the exorbitant taxi fare.

It was around 2 am, my brother is 6'6", very fit, he walks up Calle Cervantes from the Hotel Melia and when he turns on Bolivar to go to my apartment, he was attacked by the pack of dogs who knocked him down (note his height) and proceeded to bite him deeply in the calf. Of course we are taking him to a doctor right away.

I have walked up that street many times, earlier in the evening, and never thought about this potential danger. I shudder to think what might have happened if he was smaller and less fit.

I always felt bad for the animals on the street but I know see that there is another concern.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry Rabies!!

Quote Originally Posted by creativeliza View Post

I have lived in Gazcue, Santo Domingo for almost 7 years and consider it to be one of the safer neighborhoods in the city. However, last night my brother, who was visiting, wanted to go out so I took him to the Colonial Zone. He stayed after me and since it's only a 10 minute walk, he decided to walk home instead of pay the exorbitant taxi fare.

It was around 2 am, my brother is 6'6", very fit, he walks up Calle Cervantes from the Hotel Melia and when he turns on Bolivar to go to my apartment, he was attacked by the pack of dogs who knocked him down (note his height) and proceeded to bite him deeply in the calf. Of course we are taking him to a doctor right away.

I have walked up that street many times, earlier in the evening, and never thought about this potential danger. I shudder to think what might have happened if he was smaller and less fit.

I always felt bad for the animals on the street but I know see that there is another concern.
    There has been at least one death here from rabies in the Capital.. and I think that there were two other cases which survived.

They treated the rabies with some sort of pills here which is not SOP in the States where you have to get a series of abdominal injections.

So I hope that your brother is OK and that you CALL THE US EMBASSY to make sure of the treatment here....

and, yes, I have lived here in the neighborhood (and yes, the two of us are friends.) for 5 years and have NEVER heard of the street dogs -- of which we have quite a few-- ever behaving like this.

So there is going to have to be some sort of eradication,

I am sorry for this from both the human and canine perspective,

Keep us posted, Eliza

and best to your brother...
    holler if you need help

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation The Clinic

Quote Originally Posted by creativeliza View Post

So I do feel for your bro. Need do a 7-day-plus booster (highly recommended).

Last year I was doing a nightly run and was bitten badly by a stray "kept fed by a colmado owner".

The anti-rabies clinic located near Duarte Vieja (arriba), frente al Liceo Juan Pablo Duarte is in a real bad area, but have free and services (treatments). There the locals will be happy to share dog bite stories and bite comparisons while you wait for your injection.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by gringobizadvisors View Post
    So I do feel for your bro. Need do a 7-day-plus booster (highly recommended).

Last year I was doing a nightly run and was bitten badly by a stray "kept fed by a colmado owner".

The anti-rabies clinic located near Duarte Vieja (arriba), frente al Liceo Juan Pablo Duarte is in a real bad area, but have free and services (treatments). There the locals will be happy to share dog bite stories and bite comparisons while you wait for your injection.
    Carrying a stick, long tree branch or a piece of iron bar is HIGHLY effective when waved at approaching dogs.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pig View Post
    People come first, if they are getting out of control then they need to alarm the streets and get out and shoot any on the streets. Simple. I love dogs but every couple of months when I lived in Las Nigras ESP they would sound the alarm so people with dogs knew to keep them indoors, and dogs on the street were target practice for the guardia and policia local
    A dog early warning system. Interesting...

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

sorry for your brother, and yes the abdominal injections(painfull ones) are the only real protection.

there is a device called dogstop, made by Multivet, which is a can producing a very highpitched ultrason sound, which is extremely effective in scaring of dogs. we sold plenty to the postoffices in Belgium for mailmen having rounds with not such nice dogs on it.

I also feel bad about the dogs, but a dog who has bitten once, will, in all likelyhood do it again. What if it had not been your brother, but a child.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by belgiank View Post
    sorry for your brother, and yes the abdominal injections(painfull ones) are the only real protection.

there is a device called dogstop, made by Multivet, which is a can producing a very highpitched ultrason sound, which is extremely effective in scaring of dogs. we sold plenty to the postoffices in Belgium for mailmen having rounds with not such nice dogs on it.

I also feel bad about the dogs, but a dog who has bitten once, will, in all likelyhood do it again. What if it had not been your brother, but a child.
    It's in the back, not the abdomen.

Moderator - Clown Central
    Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday when taking my wife in town (Santiago) we turned the corner and there were 12 dogs in total (One was obviously female) crossing in front of traffic.

Whenever a gang of dogs come up where I live I try to discourage them.
    One thing they seem to be afraid of is rocks thrown at them.
    Being behind a very high wall does make it safer to do this and many times I catch them on their approach up the hill via the security cameras.

Once dogs are in a pack they become much braver and harder to control, similar to us humans.

Paintball guns and pellet pistols would be nice to have access to.
    (It's appears easier to get an illegal gun then one of those in the D.R.)

Don

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow that's quite a story. Grew up with dogs myself as my dad use to train dogs in the Netherlands for the police and military. Have only been bitten twice in my life and both times was by my own dog by accident though because my dogs were involved in a dog fight and it was my own mistake because I involved myself in their fights. Hearing that dogs attack a person to me it sounds that the dogs most likely had rabies. My experience after living in the New World for quite awhile now is that dogs are normally a lot friendlier towards foreigners than Dominicans, they love to go after the Haitians. Have 2 dogs myself now and they always go after the Haitians when they walk by, a foreigner walks by and they just wiggle their tales. This is not normal dog behavior that's for sure!!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, but most Dominican dogs are not pack hunters....

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast