Jobs for english speaking people in DR

CWF

Aug 19, 2009
I hear there is a demand for English speaking people for jobs in DR?

Maybe this is an option I should explore then we would not have to go through the hassle of my wife getting liscened in Canada as a doctor.

If anyone can pass any info to me my e-mail is cwfernie @yahoo.ca

Meegwetch,

B

BettyDiamond

bar persons and table wipers are in great demand with English skills

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I hear there is a demand for English speaking people for jobs in DR?

From whom are you hearing this? Would seem they could tell you where to apply to fill the need?

As far as I know, there's no extreme demand at other than Dominican wages unless you bring a very specific skill set that is not available locally.

Collingwood

Dec 4, 2004
I was talking to a friend who has started work 2 weeks ago at a call center in Santo Domingo. She was hired based on her rudimentary English. The starting salaries after some training however is only about 30,000pesos per month.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
hmm and what happen after the first two weeks - you dont pass the training and have to reapply for a further two weeks

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Say What?

I was talking to a friend who has started work 2 weeks ago at a call center in Santo Domingo. She was hired based on her rudimentary English. The starting salaries after some training however is only about 30,000pesos per month.

How did you get this figure, most of the Call Centers are paying from 90 to 110 pesos per hour for inbound projects, plus various bonus, and they did not want rudimentary English and these inbound projects were for USA projects and they want high level english skill.

If your doing outbound(sales) you might reach the 30k mark. but no way for inbound, 110x44/36=135us a week. 30,000 would be great for most. not only!

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
hmm and what happen after the first two weeks - you dont pass the training and have to reapply for a further two weeks

If you don't pass the training you don't have a job simple as that!!!
A buddy of mine had to start working in a call center. They told him all kinds of bs of how much money he was going to make etc. but he's clearing approx RD9000,- every 2 weeks!!!!
The first couple of months after I arrived here I worked for a call center and to be honest I was not impressed at all with the way they work.
I was thankful though that I had the opportunity to work because I had to bring the bacon home even though it was only rice and beans but I was able to feed the family. One other disadvantage is that in call centers a lot of deportees work who all have "issues" as they call it themselves and I personally was glad when I left that environment.

Collingwood

Dec 4, 2004
Regarding my friend who started working at a call center recently she did mention that she was selling into the USA - Diabetes Medication or insurance or something like that. So that would be Outbound. As to the amount of 30,000 pesos its the number she told me that she will earn per month.

Radel

Mar 3, 2008
Synergies in Santiago is the hottest call center right now, The pay is good and You don't have to sell anything .

sandratennis

Jan 5, 2010
job

hey , i was wondering if you spoke to anyone at Synergies. I'm from Europe but for the next few month I will stay in Santiago and I was looking for a job,since I cant speak spanish very well the call center is my only option.Can you give me any details if you have please? Thank you very much

Franklyn

Jan 13, 2010
hi to all, i was in the santiago area, which i am planing to move i hope very soon, can any one else tell me another call center which is pretty good, and have a good paid check, pls send me any information, thanks

meandjose

Feb 11, 2010
30,000 pesos

so this doesn't seem to be very much or is it? whats the wages like there? would it be hard to get a job as cashier, for English speaking?

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
so this doesn't seem to be very much or is it? whats the wages like there? would it be hard to get a job as cashier, for English speaking?

Minimum wage is 6500 pesos a month, so 30,000 pesos is pretty good. I doubt that a cashier, even if bilingual, would make that much.

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
Minimum wage is 6500 pesos a month, so 30,000 pesos is pretty good. I doubt that a cashier, even if bilingual, would make that much.

huh call center paying 30,000? outbound sales maybe, inbound help is about 18,000 to 20,000,

I know java developers that would like 30,000

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
huh call center paying 30,000? outbound sales maybe, inbound help is about 18,000 to 20,000,

I know java developers that would like 30,000

Which is a shame, IT pay is so neglected in the DR is not even funny. I've known IT managers earning 20,000 pesos a month.

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
Which is a shame, IT pay is so neglected in the DR is not even funny. I've known IT managers earning 20,000 pesos a month.

Me too, MainFrame paid much better even here, but they are all gone from the island now, think Codetel's was the last.