Give a pillow!

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Last Saturday with a friend we visited the Fundaci?n Madelaes Hogar de Ni?as in the sector of La Victoria. This is home to 18 beautiful little girls, from 2 to 18 years old and its run by this most amazing lady, Maria Elena. It was so touching to see the love, respect and attention they have for each other.

At this moment the center is standing up simply from donations. At the end of this month, the girls will be moving into this brand new home donated by the embassy of Japan. Maria Elena mentioned to us that one of her dream is to use their new facilities to give Craft classes to her community to help her neighbors have products they could make themselves and sell later.

Walking around the small home where they are now we could see the evidences that they live with only the basics; sharing old beds, very old bedcovers and most beds lack of pillows, a few furniture and very little clothing in their closets.

I was so touch by these little girls that I decided I want to do more….just a little something to let them know that they are special. I went out and bought 15 yards of pink fabric to make them pillow cases: I will hand paint them and right the name of each little girl on each one. So I have that part covered, what I would like to ask is if any dr1 member would like to join this donation and help buy them new pillows? We would need 20 pillows in total: 18 girls and it would be nice to make two for “mama” Maria Elena. Of course they need many …many other things but it would be a start and a special gift so the princesses can sleep like little angels.

If you wish to make personal donations please contact Maria Elena. Needed are:
- Bed covers
- Beds
- Clothing
- Shoes
- Panties
- Toys
- Craft supplies

Madelaes - Hogar de Ni?as (please note that the website was donated by another organization)
Tel. (809) 222-8770
Cel. (809) 258-8770

3994853173_02bc515742.jpg

3995612346_2858213bcf.jpg

3995612284_f156c5f247.jpg

3995612502_06d267d6da.jpg

3994853309_afbfbc04df.jpg

You can view more pictures here:
Find Your Friends on Facebook | Facebook

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
What a worthwhile cause, I'll be packing one suitcase full of goodies [hair accessories, craft items, etc.] for those lovely girls. I'll get them to them before Three Kings Day/Jan 6th.

Is there someone here on DR1 I can Paypal money to now to pay for some of the pillows? Just PM me if you're already buying some and can add mine to your shopping list.

AE

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
Can you find please find out if there is a shipping address, to send stuff from the U.S.?

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
What a worthwhile cause, I'll be packing one suitcase full of goodies [hair accessories, craft items, etc.] for those lovely girls. I'll get them to them before Three Kings Day/Jan 6th.

Is there someone here on DR1 I can Paypal money to now to pay for some of the pillows? Just PM me if you're already buying some and can add mine to your shopping list.

AE

Perfect! I will see for the paypal info...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Juanita, this is great. I'll give you a donation when I see you next week. :)

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
There is a special in El Canal, Santo Domingo. 2 pillows for $295! Can't get a better deal then this!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
GREAT project!

AE

You can send your contribution through my Paypal at roeblingelizabeth@msn.com

Send me a PM on how much you are sending and what you want me to buy.

I will certainly go to La Sirena and do the shopping and take it over to them before Christmas.

I am in for four pillows and LOTS of M and Ms for the holidays.

THANKS so much for finding this. It is always great to find a wonderful project.

I know there are several orphanages like this that deserve our support.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You can send your contribution through my Paypal at roeblingelizabeth@msn.com

Send me a PM on how much you are sending and what you want me to buy.

I will certainly go to La Sirena and do the shopping and take it over to them before Christmas.

I am in for four pillows and LOTS of M and Ms for the holidays.

THANKS so much for finding this. It is always great to find a wonderful project.

I know there are several orphanages like this that deserve our support.

Hi Annie, just Paypal-ed you $20, from what Juanita says [above] that should cover 4 pillows. Thanks a lot!

AE

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
I am going for sure on the 25th, when they inaugurate their new home. The plan was to take the pillows that same day. Here is the map location of the foundation:

10327_147530921383_128814171383_2666094_5210227_n.jpg

Reactions: AlterEgo

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
AZB, you better put in at least two pillows or you can forget about ever cooking at my bbqs again...

Reactions: mike l

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Folks! Thanks to our dr1 members we have our 20 pillows! This is fantastic! When we go and deliver the goods I will post all the details and pictures here! The girls will be happy!

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
OK; consider it done!!

8 pillows. 8 pillow cases.

top that.....

Be careful to whom you issue a challenge...LOL.

After reading the early parts of this thread the Beyond The Beach Children's Foundation asked juanita to get current pricing for metal bunk beds and good quality mattresses (not cheap Dominican knock offs).. She has done exactly as we asked

AND

I am extremely pleased to announce that the board of directors of the Beyond The Beach Children's Foundation has approved an expenditure sufficient to supply Fundaci?n Madelaes Hogar de Ni?as with two complete good quality metal bunk beds c/w two good quality mattresses, each. this should take some of the pressure off of the sleeping arrangements and provide a place for some of the newly supplied pillows to find a home. The logistics to transfer the funds to juanita may take a little while but several of the directors will be in Punta Cana at the end of this month and we expect to deposit the money in juanita's bank account at that time.

The expenditure will be approx. $1100.00US

Gregg Andrews
Secretary
BTBCF

Last edited:

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Gregg that is SUCH amazing news! “Mami” Maria Elena and the girls will be so grateful to Beyond The Beach Children's Foundation. For sure it will be like Christmas in October for them!!! Thank you so so much!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Woo Hoo Fireguy!! That's the best news I've read in a long time, you made my day. I can't wait to see the photos later!

(nothing to smile about in NJ, we're getting hit with 2 back to back nor'easters, flooding everywhere, roads closed, our little island is cut off except for the Atlantic City Expressway)

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Well done gregg!!!

Thanks for meeting the challenge!!!

And those beds are going to need mattress pads and sheets as well?

Juanita, can you get the prices on those for our generous DR!ers?

These are only 18 girls so I think that perhaps between us we can give them a pleasant nights sleep.

Since neither Juanita nor I have cars, we are also going to need a bit of help here in SD with the transporting.

Anyone in the Capital with a Jeepeta want to help us with the delivery....

and before you get all mushy and holiday feeling like you had better check the map on where this place is....

because it looks like Moca to me!!

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Thanks for meeting the challenge!!!

And those beds are going to need mattress pads and sheets as well?

Juanita, can you get the prices on those for our generous DR!ers?

These are only 18 girls so I think that perhaps between us we can give them a pleasant nights sleep.

Since neither Juanita nor I have cars, we are also going to need a bit of help here in SD with the transporting.

Anyone in the Capital with a Jeepeta want to help us with the delivery....

and before you get all mushy and holiday feeling like you had better check the map on where this place is....

because it looks like Moca to me!!

The beds we will supply will have mattresses, but no bedding.

Juanita is also trying to source a less expensive alternative (but still good quality) and if she locates a source we may even be able to supply more beds for the same approved amount of money.

The main reason we are able to do this is because of the professionalism displayed by juanita in the recent sale of her Los MiniWiz puzzles to BTBCF. Our every (reasonable) request was professionally handled and we will soon have almost 240 of her puzzles on trial (half on the North Coast and half in Punta Cana) which could lead to many, many more sales in the future (assuming that they are well received). BTBCF requires a local contact in whom we can place our trust and prior to the puzzle purchase we had no such Sto. Dgo. contact as it is not a vacation destination and therefore not a vacation destination for any of the Board Members. Most of our trusted contacts are developed over repeated vacations in a particular destination, usually PUJ or POP.

Hopefully more good info to follow.

Gregg