And the "beach battle" rages on......

LA71009

May 13, 2009
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic ? Dozens of Dominicans wearing flip-flops and swim suits and carrying coolers and surfboards soaked in the sun outside Congress on Friday to protest a proposal they say will limit public access to beaches and rivers.

"This is not the constitution of my country," they yelled, referring to a recently approved constitutional amendment that allows for private property along coasts and rivers.

One man spread several towels on the asphalt road and lay down. Another set up an inflatable palm tree.

"The beaches belong to the people, not to businessmen," the protesters chanted.

One of the Caribbean country's biggest attractions is its white-sand beaches and turquoise waters along its eastern coast, which is peppered with dozens of celebrity homes and exclusive resorts.

Legislator Minou Tavarez Mirabal went outside to talk with them. "These kind of protests are to let us know that citizens are watching us," she said.

People also have spoken out against other constitutional amendments, such as denying citizenship to children of foreigners born in the Dominican Republic and prohibiting abortion even in cases of rape, incest or a health threat to a woman.

President Leonel Fernandez and opposition leader Miguel Vargas Maldonado supported the amendment that guaranteed the right to private property along beaches and rivers, without giving any reasons.

Reactions: mike l

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The two political leader leader$ did not need any rea$ons...Besides, what i$ theoretically
going on i$ that acce$$ to the beach it$elf i$ what i$ re$tricted....

However, this i$ bu$ine$$ at it$ be$t...

Get my drift???

HB

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
written by_

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic ? Dozens of Dominicans wearing flip-flops and swim suits and carrying coolers and surfboards soaked in the sun outside Congress on Friday to protest a proposal they say will limit public access to beaches and rivers.

"This is not the constitution of my country," they yelled, referring to a recently approved constitutional amendment that allows for private property along coasts and rivers.

One man spread several towels on the asphalt road and lay down. Another set up an inflatable palm tree.

"The beaches belong to the people, not to businessmen," the protesters chanted.

One of the Caribbean country's biggest attractions is its white-sand beaches and turquoise waters along its eastern coast, which is peppered with dozens of celebrity homes and exclusive resorts.

Legislator Minou Tavarez Mirabal went outside to talk with them. "These kind of protests are to let us know that citizens are watching us," she said.

People also have spoken out against other constitutional amendments, such as denying citizenship to children of foreigners born in the Dominican Republic and prohibiting abortion even in cases of rape, incest or a health threat to a woman.

President Leonel Fernandez and opposition leader Miguel Vargas Maldonado supported the amendment that guaranteed the right to private property along beaches and rivers, without giving any reasons.

Thanks for posting this.. Could you cite the source?

I was there and would have put the number in the hundreds,,, as in perhaps 300. Not a lot of people but very big energy in that they were mostly young, and kept drumming and chanting for the entire hour that I was there despite a pouring rain that had the press with cameras huddling under the umbrellas of the ice cream vendor.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I wish!

And "the people's voice" is seen in today's cartoon in Diario Libre:

Boquechivo en DiarioLibre.com

Annie: and what were you doing there? Sunning or drinking Presidente.?

HB

Naw, I was walking around with the camera and tape recorder and press pass trying to find someone intelligent to get an interview... which I did.

but it did have the makings of a fun party .. with lots of people who brought spaghetti and bread. There were ice cream vendors all over but once I saw that some of the vendors were selling beer, I figured that it was going to last a long time.

At the start, there were more police and press than people,.. but I suspect that the kids just stayed and stayed.

Anyone have any idea when it dispersed?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
No but Boquechivo says that the beaches are for those who drink beer, eat "espaguettis" and use "voladoras"....

A smart protest, IMO...and with one PLD deputy calling her coworkers "Borregos" = +/- to 'idiots' , you really have to appreciate the state of things...

HB

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Minou?

No but Boquechivo says that the beaches are for those who drink beer, eat "espaguettis" and use "voladoras"....

A smart protest, IMO...and with one PLD deputy calling her coworkers "Borregos" = +/- to 'idiots' , you really have to appreciate the state of things...

HB

Was that Minou who did the name calling? I have yet to sit down with today's papers.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Some photos from yesterday's protest

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
WOW!! More like 50,000 words....

"O sea"; your news item down the drain???

I see old FLEFLAS is still agitating...they date from the 70s....

HB

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
thanks!

I'm not the OP but it looks like AP (play on words intended :cheeky:). Herewith in Miami Herald.

Dominicans in beach gear demand access to beaches - World AP - MiamiHerald.com

Did not know that AP had a stringer here... hope that he does a better job next time... as in hundreds not dozens and as in the new constitution actually gives more rights to children of immigrants than the old one.. but nonetheless, it is good see that is now some news coverage of something other than baseball and tourism.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I know this may be a bit premature to ask, but I'm curious, do you think all of this will have a real impact?