Info needed from Techies

Hsekhar

Oct 11, 2009
Just post your present internet connection speed and the intended internet connection speed you are trying to take. Normally around 1 to 3 MBPS lines are good enough for watching Youtube videos without waiting much time.

Sep 22, 2009
A jammed up slow hard drive will slow this down even if you have a fast connection

Annie,

The 100Mbps is your on-board Ethernet card. This doesn't come into play too much if you're not on a local network (like in an office setting).

The traditional 10/100 ethernet cards are more than sufficient to handle your Claro connection. When you signed up, you elected a speed plan: 256, 512, 1026, etc.

However, those speeds are not guaranteed (especially since Codetel is short on bandwidth (which is like Internet talk for fluid viscosity). You can Google "how fast is my internet connection" and some decent sites will pop up where you can perform a quick test.

In NY, I had Optimum, and viewing video was instant. DR is a different story based on the number of subscribers vs. available bandwidth.

You PC or laptop is a huge factor as well. Most people assume their Internet connection speed is the limiting factor, but this is not true. An older PC/laptop may have a very cluttered (fragmented) hard drive and this is the #1 problem of slow PCs/laptops. Memory is also a factor, but not as much as disk read/write speed.

The new 'SATA' drives are quite fast. This combined with dual processing and memories up to 4gig RAM and higher will result in super-fast buffering times with a 512K Internet connection.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
upload .09

speed for video download 17 min-

I have a brand new 500 gig hard drive

so what now?
Call Codetel and have them do a report ticket. They will ask you to do some computer diagnostics on the phone.

We pay for 1.5/756 here. During the week we get those speeds. On weekends, it may slow down to 300/600 or less.

IMO, the growth of the innerweb in many areas exceeds the bandwidth capability of Codetel. They can do all the research they want. Fact is the pipeline is crowded and you have to share limited capacity with a lot of other folks.