quick wasp sting relief

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this thread is mainly to share my pain.
i was stung by a wasp. twice. in my face: nose and eyebrow. hurts like hell and swelling is proceeding. i am not allergic but i took claritidine just in case plus a pain killer.
but i would appreciate any advice as to more immediate relief: do i put ice on it? butter (or other grease)? some ointment?
please help! :(

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
vinegar - but possibly not round your eye,actaully most things just delay the swelling.You will get it eventually
Im an expert on wasp/bee stings - there are various sizes of wasps

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no baking soda at home :(
but i rubbed vinegar in my face. feels a bit better, i think, but i smell like a cheap wine factory...

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
you will get followed by strange british people now- let me know if anyone tries to lick your face

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Menthol

Here they put Menthol on stings which is like Vics cream but i never found it does much.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Is it wasp season at the moment? There are hundreds of the little buggers at my house.

What's the best way to get rid of them? The Baygon green seems to be quite effective. It downs them immediately. I then remove their little paper houses, but new ones come back and start making a new one almost an hour later!

They also seem to like my garage. When I'm down there working on my car, I go armed with my can of Baygon and have to give it a good spraying every half hour. They swarm there!

i've only been stung once, and it hurts like hell! I'll try the vinegar trick next time if it happens, but I'd rather be rid of them completely.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
hum

Toothpaste works on burns, perhaps it will work on stings. Get some witch Hazel if possible.

The baking soda, or a meat tenderizer. make a paste and apply, don't know if some of the natural tenderizers would work or not.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I was stung last week, I squeezed around the area tightly with fingers to make stinger protrude (it was a bee, wasps don't leave stinger in) and BB removed it. Swelling and itchiness occured mainly 24 hours later. Discussed with Dr. Jim when I happened to see him 2 days later & he suggested that a hot compress applied immediately would slow down action of venom. When a wasp stung me a couple of years ago I had some pain & a really swollen hand for about 5 days, but nothing worse.

Bug bites and stings

Wasp and Insect Sting Allergy

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
thank you all for advice - vinegar made it a bit better, i think, because the nose did not swell. but the swelling around the eye is pretty bad. good that i use night and day lenses because there is no way i could take a contact lens out of my piggy eye now :)

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Garlic

A cut clove of fresh garlic rubbed on the point of sting usually takes sting away immediately. Tried and true.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
good for getting rid of fine lines- the bee sting that is ! my hands looked like a chubby babies when I got them stung

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Having been stung in the face regularly as a child for climbing fruit trees(maroteando), my nickname was :chinese: "El Chino". The cure then was to pee on the ground and apply the mud to the sting site. Don't remember if it worked.:p

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
A cut clove of fresh garlic rubbed on the point of sting usually takes sting away immediately. Tried and true.

Years ago we were driving to Boca Chica [already off the main hwy on one of the side streets] when a wasp flew in our car window and bit me on my arm. My husband stopped in a little colmado to see if they had anything to put on it and he came out with a garlic clove cut in half, the old lady in the colmado said it was the best thing. It sounded odd but I tried it, and it worked!!

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
meat tenderizer does work. it works on jellyfish stings also. i do not have extreme reactions to bites and eat plenty of garlic so there may be some truth to that also. hope you and lambada recover and kill the beestards!!!!!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Thank goodness it was only a wasp and not a Dominican "Guaba"...'cause then you'd have to eat some Shyte if you wanted relief. Pee works for wasps...I volunteer...