Concrete stamp mold

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Anybody know where i can buy a concrete stamp mold in SD area? I wanted to build a rustic type path through a jungle to a river and thought that would make the best finish. Maybe I'll give it a green colour. I am looking for rounded stone slab mold. Thanks.

Santiagoguy

Apr 21, 2009
For advertising rates please contact Robert@DR1.com

Sorry this is "trolling for business"-free zone, unless you area paying advertiser; and even then only within reason.

Gregg
Mod.

Last edited by a moderator:

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Trolling????

Santiagoguy- you are wrong! I am not trolling for business but if you read my post, I am looking for a place that sells concrete stamps in the SD area???

For advertising rates please contact Robert@DR1.com

Sorry this is "trolling for business"-free zone, unless you area paying advertiser; and even then only within reason.

Gregg
Mod.

Drake,

You misread the post.

The post is directed at Santiagoguy who answered your post with a solicitation for business from you which is not permitted unless he was a paid advertiser on this site. And no he didn't offer any place to buy concrete stamps.

Gregg
Mod.

Last edited by a moderator:

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Concrete stamps?

Gregg
you should have indicated that Santiagoguys post was deleted for solicitation for business. The way it appears is you are informing me of trolling.

By the way does ANYBODY know where I can get these concrete stamps?

Sep 22, 2009
Gregg
you should have indicated that Santiagoguys post was deleted for solicitation for business. The way it appears is you are informing me of trolling.

By the way does ANYBODY know where I can get these concrete stamps?

Gregg, Moderator: Ph.D. Cambridge, Moderation Engineering

Maybe someone can help the OP?
Drake, what is a concrete stamp anyway?

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
what is a concrete stamp anyway?

A concrete stamp is a form (usually molded rubber, I think) which is applied to semi-set concrete thereby transferring it's contours to the surface of the concrete. It is usually a repeating pattern which can be continued to make a concrete walkway resemble a flagstone path or a path made of pavers, etc. It is often combined with concrete dyes to make the surface resemble the desired effect in both shape and colour. Used most often but not exclusively for pathways.

Examples - www.cadillacconcrete.com

Gregg

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2009
A concrete stamp is a form (usually molded rubber, I think) which is applied to semi-set concrete thereby transferring it's contours to the surface of the concrete. It is usually a repeating pattern which can be continued to make a concrete walkway resemble a flagstone path or a path made of pavers, etc. It is often combined with concrete dyes to make the surface resemble the desired effect in both shape and colour. Used most often but not exclusively for pathways.

Gregg

Ahh, then I would imagine the OP can get one from one of the large pourers like H Moya, Tavares, etc. Not sure, just need to call around and ask. Knowing DR, perhaps jump in the car and go down there is more effective.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Drake, I don't know of a source who sells the stamps in the DR.
However, I looked into it in Spain years ago. It is an item which is mostly made by or for companies which franchise the business idea.
Have you ever done it?
When we looked into it (we had to find a "paving" solution for 8000sf.), we learned that for each pattern you need not just one interlocking hard rubber stamping mat, but several, so to be able to stamp 10x10ft to 12x12ft segments at once to get an even pattern. It takes quite some experience to catch the right window of opportunity in the concrete curing progress not to sink in the "mud" and to still create a good pattern. Contrary to what is seen around here, the correct staining technique is not to paint the finished hard product, but to stain the top layer of the still wet concrete before applying the molds. That too, is a technique which needs some testing to get a good, not grayish nor over colored result which goes deep enough into the concrete so that wear will not show in the first two months.
Yet it was the cost which finally turned us away, paired with the risk of poor and difficult to repair aging. Concrete slabs to tend to eventually crack here and there... especially in regions with earth movement. Given the size of our project at that time the acquisition of the stamping mats was not really a big item in the equation.
I don't know what project you have in mind or if you plan to go into business, in which later case I'd suggest you look for a quality provider in the US.
Our project included a large parking lot, leading into a drive-thru 3-car garage and paths and ways throughout the property. We finally settled for colored city traffic graded concrete pavers... the look we tried to imitate. Actually, we wound up with the "real" stuff for about the same price in materials and similar but fool proof (re-doable) installation effort, a more service-maintenance and repair friendly finish and a durability which by far surpasses stamped concrete. The result was stunning and people visiting that property rave about the looks.
There are companies in the DR which make decent quality pavers. But I don't know their pricing.

Just some thoughts I thought I'd share with you...

And some pictures of the finished result using pavers too:

Parking lot:

2m3jjoo.jpg

Paths and ways around the home:

294q91f.jpg

Round shaped layout of small pavers (the same was done around some large palm trees):

nl3mvq.jpg

... J-D.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Jungle path options?

Thanks JD for the good advise
Im just looking for a rustic finish with something different to a flat finish for a 100m x 1m wide path that would link our back gate to a river. Im thinking of putting concrete slabs on the flat parts. I want to see how i can match it all without looking like a mess. Im going to check Hache and Americana for the stamps. do you think that I am better off going for prefab concrete steps and slabs then inventing with stamp molds?

Sep 22, 2009
Thanks JD for the good advise
Im just looking for a rustic finish with something different to a flat finish for a 100m x 1m wide path that would link our back gate to a river. Im thinking of putting concrete slabs on the flat parts. I want to see how i can match it all without looking like a mess. Im going to check Hache and Americana for the stamps. do you think that I am better off going for prefab concrete steps and slabs then inventing with stamp molds?

The Drake,

Here is the company in Santo Domingo where you can find all that you need.

Regards,
G

Industrias Aguayo de Construccion, CxA

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
... Do you think that I am better off going for prefab concrete steps and slabs then inventing with stamp molds?

Yes.
Unless you have some serious experience working with concrete and even at least some with stamped concrete, I'd recommend you use stone or concrete pavers or slabs laid on a good bed of gravel and sand.
If there are bumps... you can fix'em. Not so with stamped concrete.
If the rain works a river underneath your paved ways, you can fix'em, again not so with stamped concrete.
Pavers and slabs can be "fun" to work with and you set the pace... not so with concrete... if things go wrong, time works against you and things tend to get messy.

... J-D.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Im looking for 2x4ft conrete slabs which I did nt see on the Aguayo website or could be 4x4ft slabs. Any suggestions?
Thanks

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I thought 'concreto estampado' was made at the site.......you pour the cement then stamp? no? or the slabs already come with designs?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
I thought 'concreto estampado' was made at the site.......you pour the cement then stamp? no? or the slabs already come with designs?
Correct MAR. You prepare the ground (level, gravel bed and and plastic sheet cover your ground, build wooden borders and lay steel wire mesh).
Great care should be give to make sure the border framing is solid and that each section is not to long and wide to prevent early cracking. The concrete should ideally be poured 4 to 5 inches (10 to 12 cm) thick at least or thicker for vehicular park ways.
The problems really occur with the mixing of a uniform and big enough load of concrete to do a full section at a time. Time is of essence in the whole process is you want a good result.
Then, ideally you would tint the top with a special powder. It's easier and IMO nicer to use 2 or 3 shades and intentionally try to get a blend or colors than an even color. The problem is again... or just starting to be TIMING. The tint should dissolve on the still wet and plastic concrete so that it penetrates the surface about an 8th of an inch (so there won't be immediate wear off of the tint... we're not "painting", we are tinting). The ideal moment to do it is difficult to catch and can only be found by trial and error (certainly not on your project), what furthermore complicates the whole process, is that the ideal time to sprinkle you tinting powder coincides with the right moment to stamp the tinted concrete with the interlocking hard rubber shapes. Concrete has at that time started to cure... just enough so you don't sink into it like standing on mud with your stamps, not not so much that you have to jump around on them to to create tears in the concrete.
If you find the result is questionable, you can right out start to take it all apart and redo it before the mess hardened out.

Here's an example on how it's done, although it's not visible if they have maintained proper sectioning (to prevent tears and fissures):

YouTube - Stamped Concrete Installation, Concrete pouring and finishing

Short, it's not a HomeDepot express kind'a deal and that's one more reason the supplies are not really marketed to the general public.

On top of that... as I said, I question the cost of it all vs. the result when compared to the real deal.
Stamped concrete can look real nice when it's PERFECT. But it's likely to age poorly, difficult to repair without it quickly looking like the redneck special.

... J-D.