Rica Singles American Cheese

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I occasionally buy Kraft cheese slices for burgers or grilled cheese sandwiches. With a new puppy, I've been using it in small pieces for training... but it's expensive.

So, in the grocery store the brilliant idea to purchase Rica Singles Queso Americano slices for training, since they're significantly cheaper.

Problem is... the dog will NOT eat it. This is the 2nd dog I'm aware of that will not eat this product. If you can get it in their mouths.. they spit it out.

Anyone use this product themselves, or have dogs that will/won't eat it?

Hmmm... looking now at ingredients. Maybe I know why ;)

Rica Singles: Water, Palm Oil, Corn Starch, Gelatin, Whey, Modified Potato Starch, Sodium Citrate, Salt, Carrageenan, Kasal, Lactic Acid, Natural and Artificial Flavoring, Sorbic Acid, Citric Acid, Annatto and Oleoresin, Paprika color

Kraft: Milk, whey, milkfat, milk protein concentrate, salt, calcium phosphate, sodium citrate, whey protein concentrate, sodium phosphate, sorbic acid as a preservative, apocarotenal (color), annatto (color), enzymes, vitamin D3, cheese culture.

I guess maybe I don't want a slice of water & palm oil, either.

Sep 22, 2009
I occasionally buy Kraft cheese slices for burgers or grilled cheese sandwiches. With a new puppy, I've been using it in small pieces for training... but it's expensive.

So, in the grocery store the brilliant idea to purchase Rica Singles Queso Americano slices for training, since they're significantly cheaper.

Problem is... the dog will NOT eat it. This is the 2nd dog I'm aware of that will not eat this product. If you can get it in their mouths.. they spit it out.

Rica Singles: Water, Palm Oil, Corn Starch, Gelatin, Whey, Modified Potato Starch, Sodium Citrate, Salt, Carrageenan, Kasal, Lactic Acid, Natural and Artificial Flavoring, Sorbic Acid, Citric Acid, Annatto and Oleoresin, Paprika color

Kraft: Milk, whey, milkfat, milk protein concentrate, salt, calcium phosphate, sodium citrate, whey protein concentrate, sodium phosphate, sorbic acid as a preservative, apocarotenal (color), annatto (color), enzymes, vitamin D3, cheese culture.

CFA,

Discounting your dog, how do you find the taste and texture of the Rica product compared to Kraft? Are you satisfied re cost vs. quality?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
CFA,

Discounting your dog, how do you find the taste and texture of the Rica product compared to Kraft? Are you satisfied re cost vs. quality?

these sound like the ones I tried that when you bent them in half would not break, and immediately laid back out flat. I only tried them once and threw that away

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Dry dog food

high quality dog food makes all the difference to a dog... as said it will erase skin-problems, itching, all kinds of intestinal problems, etc... and in the end, will be a lot cheaper then cheap dogfood (you have to give less, and will spend less on the local vet)...

as far as training food is concerned, jamon will not hurt a dog... cheese may not be the best training treat because of the kind of proteines in the cheese... and yes dogs know quality... and will love one kind of jamon, and have an attitude of "eat it yourself" with another kind...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Ever tried to make a grilled cheese sandwhich with one of these imitation cheeses? Needless to say the cheese I tried doesn't melt. Funny thing is the American imitation cheese is more expensive that the local cheddar, which is quite mild and melts really well. The Michel and Sosua brands are good real cheeses and go for RD110-120 a lb.

Nov 25, 2008
I think your dog is a better taste of product......and he/she can't even read

Bottom line is any product made in the DR copying an American product for $20-30 peosos cheaper is NOT worth the saving, if you have any doubt ask FIDO...huf..huf

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I dunno.

Sme Dominican cheeses I just can't get used to eating. It's one of those things I'll spend $$$ for to go imported...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
dominican cheese: try cheddar san juan, it is pretty good. and sosua products are generally better than michel, in my opinion.
still, we mostly buy imported cheese - mozzarella, munster and gouda.

as for dog treats: we buy cheapest salami. our dog loves it. on the other hand our dog is bottomless basura disposal and she will eat bread, potatoes, pancakes, tostones, boiled bananas as well as any kind of meat or cheese. heck, she even eats medicine (pills) directly from my hand. no need to conceal it in food. she also licks the hand of vet when he pumps her with vaccinations.

just so you know - our dog normally eats good quality dog food and all human stuff mentioned above is either treats or garbage disposal :)
my neighbours dog (also a rottweiler) will eat absolutely anything including lettuce and mango skins.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
did i thank you yet?

thanks to both you and your dog...

i am a dairy freak but here I keep saying sin queso, sin queso

now I know why

thanks for the info

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I believe their chocolate milk drink is even more amazing... it does not taste lake milk and nothing like chocolate... and they can still sell it??? Amazing !!!