Will we have to pay to go to the beach?

RenatoSosua

Bronze
Nov 8, 2006
groups.yahoo.com
A proposal to put a tax on beach use

The bill proposes a judicial framework for the use and access to beaches, coastlines and riverbanks

SANTO DOMINGO. The Chamber of Deputies was given a legislative proposal that would limit the activities in the areas of the beaches and would order the collection of a RD$35.00 per day fee from each foreigner older than 12 years old that is staying in a hotel at a tourist area...

more here:
A proposal to put a tax on beach use - DiarioLibre.com

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
yup

looks like that is the plan

of course, it would help if people here would train their kids to pick up after themselves.

Even when I walk around Gazcue in the mornings, the places where they have either colmados or schools are covered in trash. COVERED!!!!!

The bill proposes a judicial framework for the use and access to beaches, coastlines and riverbanks

SANTO DOMINGO. The Chamber of Deputies was given a legislative proposal that would limit the activities in the areas of the beaches and would order the collection of a RD$35.00 per day fee from each foreigner older than 12 years old that is staying in a hotel at a tourist area...

more here:

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
The question is whether this money will be used to do something good or just another way to make more money to buy new jeepetas;)

more here:

RenatoSosua

Bronze
Nov 8, 2006
groups.yahoo.com
No chairs rental!

In the same proposal: "The law, if approved, would prohibit the exclusive occupation of beach areas with any type of equipment (such as chairs, beds, umbrellas, and lifejackets) for commercial use and would not permit any commercial propaganda".

I'm usually going to Sosua beach and I cannot imagine that place without chair rentals!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
looks like you can not even byo

In the same proposal: "The law, if approved, would prohibit the exclusive occupation of beach areas with any type of equipment (such as chairs, beds, umbrellas, and lifejackets) for commercial use and would not permit any commercial propaganda".

I'm usually going to Sosua beach and I cannot imagine that place without chair rentals!

looks like you could not even bring your OWN chair,

And could not go topless

well, there goes all the French tourism in LT!!!

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Also imagine paying your 35 pesos without proper change!!!:paranoid:

Have you ever tried to get change from a mercado, bank, anywhere here. You are flatly told no. Now whenever I go shopping, I give a 2000 peso note, whatever the sales amount.
When they ask me for a less denomination, I tell them no. Try and get
change at the beach, lots a luck.

Sep 22, 2009
Yeah, this will work well. They're going to build a state of the art accounting, colletions and enforcement system to monitor and control the beach tax. When can we expect this up and running? I want that job.

Sep 22, 2009
I don't think adding 5 dollars to the all-inclusive hotel bill will cause disdain for many tourists, but I just can't believe that this is what they came up with. Can you imagine the Camera de Cuentas sitting around doing a whiteboard session. "Hey, a beach tax!!!" It will cost more to develop, run and maintain then they will be able to collect.

After all the payoffs and skimming, they're going to have to pull out of their pokets to keep that system afloat. I'd love to see the P&L on that.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Just one thought

looks like that is the plan

of course, it would help if people here would train their kids to pick up after themselves.

Even when I walk around Gazcue in the mornings, the places where they have either colmados or schools are covered in trash. COVERED!!!!!

Would not blame the kids! the parents are the worst, the kids only do what they have been taught.
You do see the kids throw their garbage in the street, but their parents throw it out the car window.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
It'll never work...

It would be a complete disaster if they tried to implement it. The beaches would end up DIRTIER than before by the time people burned all those tires on them. :cheeky:

Can't they look at the real issues and come up with more viable, positive and sustainable solutions? I already mentioned my suggestions in the other thread about limiting beach access...

1. Involve ayuntamientos in cleanup and infrastructure. They charge fees to vendors and businesses to use their stalls, make money.
2. Hire more POLITUR and make them actually do their job. Kick people out who litter and break rules, fine them, put them in jail if warranted.
3. Work with, not against locals. Have educational campaigns about importance of keeping beaches clean, tourism. Organize vendors into unions, only allow them to offer any service if they have a permit. They must wear uniforms, have i.d., etc.
4. Be creative to come up with other solutions, do research on what other countries do...

Really, what kind of message does this idea send out about a country, where you ask visitors to pay US $1 to use a freakin' beach, and locals 50 cents? The TRUTH, maybe? That the country is in such a sad state that it can't handle its own territory by other more logical, institutional cost-effective means...

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
What about a publicity campaign by the government teaching the Dominicans to respect mother earth? I've seen this done in Panama with progress maybe this can and should be done here.
It would be better for the country if the people are educated and not having their money taken away because that would give them the attitude to keep on throwing the garbage out since they're paying for it.
Look for example the electricity in the barrio they pay RD200-300 per month and when there's electricity they have all the lights and all the electric appliances on because they're "paying" for it;)

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
worked in the States as well

What about a publicity campaign by the government teaching the Dominicans to respect mother earth? I've seen this done in Panama with progress maybe this can and should be done here.
It would be better for the country if the people are educated and not having their money taken away because that would give them the attitude to keep on throwing the garbage out since they're paying for it.
Look for example the electricity in the barrio they pay RD200-300 per month and when there's electricity they have all the lights and all the electric appliances on because they're "paying" for it;)

It was Lady Bird Johnson that took this one one. Taught people that throwing trash out of the cars on the highway was just not on

and perhaps the $500 fine helped the ad campaign along.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This proposal was the most harebrained idea I have seen for ages. The ramifications are are so mind-boggling that I am literally dumbstruck!!

Can you imagine the tentacles of graft, corruption and red tape? No, I hope this gets laughed out of the Chamber of Deputies.

Wait for the thunderburst from Asonahores and every "association" that pretends to defend the beach vendors...

This is a cluster @#%^, waiting to happen.

HB

Reactions: mountainannie

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Annie: It was not Lady Bird. It was my mother and tens of thousands of women like her in the early 50s that mounted the "Don't be a Litterbug" campaign. Many of these women were in "Garden Clubs" and other such civic activities. There were no fines back then, just the shame of people pointing and saying "Litterbug!"....There were stickers and buttons with (good grief!) pins on them...

I have yest to come up with a similar saying in Spanish...as I have said previously on this site....

HB

Sep 22, 2009
Annie: It was not Lady Bird. It was my mother and tens of thousands of women like her in the early 50s that mounted the "Don't be a Litterbug" campaign. Many of these women were in "Garden Clubs" and other such civic activities. There were no fines back then, just the shame of people pointing and saying "Litterbug!"....There were stickers and buttons with (good grief!) pins on them...

I have yest to come up with a similar saying in Spanish...as I have said previously on this site....

HB

Commonly accepted: "Asquerozo" (when I see people spit or throw garbage on the ground - this is what I say). A dirty or filthy person (also used for an old, bald and fat guy trying to pick up 20-year-olds)

The lack of a precise term may be indicative of the lack of need to point out such an individual here. Lol

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I am sure the proposal was started because someone needed a way to pay for cleaning up the garbage that Dominicans leave behind.

Instead of enforcing existing laws, by fining people who litter, these beaurocrats come up idiotic ideas that are completely counter productive.

The easiest way to clean the beaches would be to have undercover cops patrolling the beach and fining RD1,000 everybody who throws a Presidente bottle in the sand. Whoever doesnt pay on the spot, gets booked at the station. The cops could be financed from the fines. Controlling the cops would present another challenge though.

The main point is, most of the problems existing today, could be simply solved by just enforcing existing laws.