Going from temporary to permanent residency?

bobsimmons

Oct 14, 2009
Hello:

I got my temporary residency in November of last year.

When is the earliest I can come to the D.R. to get my permanent residency? What if I got my permanent residency on the 20th of November of 2008? When is the earliest I could come to the D.R.?

When is the latest I can come without losing the ability to get my permanent residency? I understand that there is a $20 per month late fee for each month that you go beyond a certain date. But how long can a person delay it without losing it?

Thanks for your input, Bob :glasses:

bobsimmons

Oct 14, 2009
clarification

I just can not put my finger on the law concerning exactly when I can come back to get my permanent residency if I got it on Nov. 20th of 2008. Would I have to get it exactly on Nov. 20th of 2009 to keep the rules or could I get it a week or two before that time or a week or two after that time? I just do not know and I need help in planning my return.

Thanks, Bob :glasses:

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I applied for my permanent 2 weeks after expiration. I paid 3800 for the medical tests and no late charge was attached.

bobsimmons

Oct 14, 2009
Guzman Ariza attorneys?

What is the email address of a good lawyer with Guzman Ariza that can help me with my permanent residency? I need one who can speak English of course.

Tell me what I need to bring. Remember this is my permanent and not my temporary residency that I am going to get.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
All they wanted to see was my temporary residence card. They did not ask for my passport or cedulla. But, I would bring everything anyways because It might depend on who's at the window. I was also told if it goes more than 30 days exporation, there is an 800 peso fine. You will also need to purchase an information form headed...
Secretaria de Estado de Interior y Policia for 100 pesos.
If you have someone that can go with you that speaks Spanish and English you will save at least $500 U.S. An attorney really isn't necessary. Just common sence
Good Luck

Last edited:

bobsimmons

Oct 14, 2009
I would like to save $500

I would be willing to pay someone $300 who was not a lawyer who could go with me to get my permanent residency card.

But how much would immigration charge me beyond the $300 that I pay the person who goes with me and translates for me when communication needs to be done? What are the immigration costs?

The person who goes with me to immigration must also take me to get a chest x-ray and a blood sample etc. if immigration
requires it.

I need to save as much money as possible. But I also need to get a valid address on my permanent residency card and not a fake one.

Last edited by a moderator:

bobsimmons

Oct 14, 2009
All they wanted to see was my temporary residence card. If you have someone that can go with you that speaks Spanish and English you will save at least $500 U.S. An attorney really isn't necessary. Just common sence
Good Luck

But don't they want you to get a chest x-ray and give them a blood and urine sample? I was told that these are important also for getting the permanent residency. But perhaps things have changed? waytogo can you comment on this?

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Read my post number 3....$3800. D.P for medical tests. I took the 5:30 am Metro to the capital, 540 D.P round trip, arrived at 7:45, took a taxi to Direccion General De Migracion....350 D.P. round trip...arrived at 8:00 am sharp. Was the first one in line and had to wait 25 minutes until they opened the window. Directed to a room where they took blood and urine.
Then to another building which was a 30 second walk where they took the x-ray. Total time spent waiting and the tests...1 hour. I am finishing up in Santiago. Nice and easy. NO LAWYER NEEDED...PERIOD

bobsimmons

Oct 14, 2009
Hoops I have to jump through?

Lawyers want to make you think it is so difficult and they make you think you have to jump through so many difficult hoops.

Here is the list I have from a law firm. Please tell me how much of this I will really need and how and when I should get it.

Thank you, Bob

1. Three photocopies of the provisional residency card.

2. Affidavit by two residents of the Dominican Republic regarding the good morals and good behavior of the applicant.

3. Notarized letter of guarantee from a Dominican person or corporation or a permanent resident.

4. A certificate of good behavior from the Dominican authorities

5. Medical exam performed in the Dominican Republic (blood test and chest x-rays)

6. 4 front photos and 2 profile photos (all 2 x 2 )

7. Completed application forms

After approval of the petition, the applicant receives a Permanent Resident Card valid for a two-year period, renewable for additional two year periods. :glasses:

Last edited:

travel1000

Jan 31, 2007
Where you can find sponsor?

my problem is that I cannot find sponsor.
Read my post number 3....$3800. D.P for medical tests. I took the 5:30 am Metro to the capital, 540 D.P round trip, arrived at 7:45, took a taxi to Direccion General De Migracion....350 D.P. round trip...arrived at 8:00 am sharp. Was the first one in line and had to wait 25 minutes until they opened the window. Directed to a room where they took blood and urine.
Then to another building which was a 30 second walk where they took the x-ray. Total time spent waiting and the tests...1 hour. I am finishing up in Santiago. Nice and easy. NO LAWYER NEEDED...PERIOD

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We are going from temporary to permanent residency this month and use the Guzman office.

We are told to bring new photos..... all the information from the original application for temporary residency still applies.

No mention of sponsors, etc. but maybe they cover all that for us.?

travel1000

Jan 31, 2007
For the permenat residency

there is no special requirement about sponsor finacial situation. At least, no special reqiurement appears in governemnt website.But I need to confirm this on the ground .For the provisioanl residency, sponsor need to own a property , car or have 10000 peso in his bank account.
The sponsor had to promise that he has to take care of you finacially if you cannot support yourself including living cost medical cost and deportation cost. Basicly, it is empty promise because no mechanisim in DR to enforce it. It is mechanism to enable lawyer to make money out of it. The lawyer always sponser his client because they know that it will never be enforced. I do not think you can easily find some person in this board because most people here come from industrial countries and when yhey see the promis in paaper and they connect their home country legal sysem. Lawyer use this conception difference to make money from us. All detail requirement you can find in dr immigration department website

Direccion General de Migracion

What does the form or letter say that a sponsor needs to sign?
What else does the sponsor need to do or say?

If I know those answers maybe I could pay someone to be my sponsor?

Thanks, Bob ;)

bobsimmons

Oct 14, 2009
We are going from temporary to permanent residency this month and use the Guzman office.

We are told to bring new photos..... all the information from the original application for temporary residency still applies.

No mention of sponsors, etc. but maybe they cover all that for us.?

Did you use the Guzman law firm the first time to get permanent residency?

When you say that all the information from the original application still applies do you mean that the letters of guarantee are in your files from your temporary residency and they can be used for your permanent residency without going through the original law firm or people who supplied them? Please find this out.

Bob :smoke: (without the cigarette)

Last edited:

bobsimmons

Oct 14, 2009
The sponsor had to promise that he has to take care of you finacially if you cannot support yourself including living cost medical cost and deportation cost. Basicly, it is empty promise because no mechanisim in DR to enforce it. It is mechanism to enable lawyer to make money out of it. The lawyer always sponser his client because they know that it will never be enforced.Direccion General de Migracion

I would think it would be hard to find someone to sponsor me UNLESS THE PAPERWORK FROM THE TEMPORARY RESIDENCY IS STILL IN THE FILES AND CAN BE USED BY IMMIGRATION TO GET MY PERMANENT RESIDENCY WITHOUT THEM CONTACTING MY PREVIOUS LAWYER WHO MAY BE TICKED OFF THAT HER PREVIOUS PAPERWORK IS BEING USED AND THIS TIME (GOING TO PERMANENT RESIDENCY) SHE IS NOT MAKING ANY MONEY OFF OF IT.

I need some feedback please, Bob :squareeye

travel1000

Jan 31, 2007
The sponsor does not need to show finacial solvency fro the second time application

I think permenant residency application is seperate application because you submit again basicly some kind of paper work again.The sponsor could be different from first time. My situation is same as yours. I just comfirm from immigration that anybody with dominican citizenship or permenant residency can be a sponsor for permenat resident application ( the second time )
I would think it would be hard to find someone to sponsor me UNLESS THE PAPERWORK FROM THE TEMPORARY RESIDENCY IS STILL IN THE FILES AND CAN BE USED BY IMMIGRATION TO GET MY PERMANENT RESIDENCY WITHOUT THEM CONTACTING MY PREVIOUS LAWYER WHO MAY BE TICKED OFF THAT HER PREVIOUS PAPERWORK IS BEING USED AND THIS TIME (GOING TO PERMANENT RESIDENCY) SHE IS NOT MAKING ANY MONEY OFF OF IT.

I need some feedback please, Bob :squareeye

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
We sponsored someone in the last year, not for money, I hasten to add. He is a friend. And yes they can enforce the deportation cost quite easily, which is why you would never get an existing resident worth his salt doing this for a complete stranger. Too many risks. If the person turned out to be a fugitive from justice in another country, I can promise you that the resident would be opening themselves up to all sorts of unnecessary hassle.

bobsimmons

Oct 14, 2009
I just comfirm from immigration that anybody with dominican citizenship or permenant residency can be a sponsor for permenat resident application ( the second time )

It is good to know that even a person with permanent residency can be my sponsor. But how many sponsors does a person need? I heard it was two?

Bob :)

bobsimmons

Oct 14, 2009
you would never get an existing resident worth his salt doing this for a complete stranger. Too many risks. If the person turned out to be a fugitive from justice in another country, I can promise you that the resident would be opening themselves up to all sorts of unnecessary hassle.

I agree with you as what you said pertains to the risk of being a sponsor for the temporary residency. If a person is going from temporary residency to permanent residency that person has been already checked out by a law firm in the D.R. and they went through the interpol check and have been found to not be a fugitive from justice
by reason of the fact that their temporary residency was approved.

So the second time when a person applies for permanent residency the sponsor(s) can rest assured that just a few months previously the person they are going to sponsor was already checked out and given a full bill of legal health which they can prove with their temporary residence card. They could not have gotten that if they were a fugitive from justice.

Bob

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I agree with you as what you said pertains to the risk of being a sponsor for the temporary residency. If a person is going from temporary residency to permanent residency that person has been already checked out by a law firm in the D.R. and they went through the interpol check and have been found to not be a fugitive from justice
by reason of the fact that their temporary residency was approved.

So the second time when a person applies for permanent residency the sponsor(s) can rest assured that just a few months previously the person they are going to sponsor was already checked out and given a full bill of legal health which they can prove with their temporary residence card. They could not have gotten that if they were a fugitive from justice.

Bob

We'll agree to differ then. There is nothing which would convince me to sponsor a total stranger.