preventing cockroaches

eibbed

Jul 31, 2009
This is the grossest thing I've asked, but does anyone know how to avoid, prevent, exterminate, kill or rid an area of these huge, flying cockroaches. In the U.S., I've heard about these huge bugs but never actually saw one until two days ago, and I'm terrified! Please ... any suggestions (except the sarcastic ones) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
this may sound crazy but

it works. Mix equal parts of baking soda and icing sugar (yes that is correct) sprinkle it where you have seen them, around the toilet etc. I know it works because I had one in my sink, sprinkled it on it and watched it squirm. I now have little bits all over and no cockroaches, you'd think I'd have ants but nope! Safe for kids and pets!!!
Make sure you do keep your house clean etc as mentioned already and maybe try this too.

eibbed

Jul 31, 2009
any kind of chemical effective?

We don't have food crumbs, house is very clean and dry, no water on bathroom floors, etc. Having a pet is not an option - and, besides that, I don't like animals in or around the house.

I just saw one about 10 minutes ago and it took one-half of a 16 oz. can of pest killer to just make him fall down. I'm at wit's end. Does anyone know of an exterminator?

keep your house clean and dry. No food crumbs, have cats around and make sure bathroom floor is clean and dry.

eibbed

Jul 31, 2009
hmmm ... ???

I much prefer a natural method to get rid of them ... have seen four in three nights. When you say icing sugar, do you mean powdered sugar, or the extra-fine sugar that's generally used for baking? (Powdered sugar is what I use for making cake frosting).

And, one more question ... what do you mean you "have little bits all over"? Do you mean little bits of the baking soda/sugar mixture or little bits of bugs all over?

Excuse my terror about this, but I think I'd rather wrestle with a snake than see another one of these awful pests!

Thanks!

I would like to find a health food store or similar place to buy essential oils because there may be an aromatherapeutic way to ward off pests like these. I know there's one for mosquitoes.

it works. Mix equal parts of baking soda and icing sugar (yes that is correct) sprinkle it where you have seen them, around the toilet etc. I know it works because I had one in my sink, sprinkled it on it and watched it squirm. I now have little bits all over and no cockroaches, you'd think I'd have ants but nope! Safe for kids and pets!!!
Make sure you do keep your house clean etc as mentioned already and maybe try this too.

Mariposazul

May 5, 2005
@ La Sirena (and other places) you can find this little matchbox that is yellow/red-orange with black writing (?). It has a picture of a roach on it. It is like chalk and you draw on your counters/floors with it. It works for ants anyways. God only knows what is in it!

Here's a link of the crazy stuff:
view Image

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
In my experience as far as the huge " palmetto " bugs or cockroaches go you can't stop them.

These creatures actually fly into your home the second you open your door during palmetto bug season.

They differ than ordinarry cockroaches that thrive underneath your stove top.

Here's the absolute worst part.

They love Tooth Paste !

To wake up and see a 1" creature making love to your tooth brush is appaling so I came up with a solution!

Store your brush inside a travelling tooth brush holder and poke holes into it for ventillation.

Dip in Listerine before brushing...just in cockroach case !

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
We have found that the best way to stop or heavily reduce the number of flying pests entering the house is to suspend a string curtain in any door etc that does not have a fly screen. The kind of string curtain that you either actually have seen or at least pictures of hanging across many middle east shop doors. Ours is made with lengths of a braided string.

wilywes

Feb 4, 2008
I much prefer a natural method to get rid of them ... have seen four in three nights. When you say icing sugar, do you mean powdered sugar, or the extra-fine sugar that's generally used for baking? (Powdered sugar is what I use for making cake frosting).

And, one more question ... what do you mean you "have little bits all over"? Do you mean little bits of the baking soda/sugar mixture or little bits of bugs all over?

Excuse my terror about this, but I think I'd rather wrestle with a snake than see another one of these awful pests!

Thanks!

I would like to find a health food store or similar place to buy essential oils because there may be an aromatherapeutic way to ward off pests like these. I know there's one for mosquitoes.

I would like to know more about the aromatherapy way to get rid of mosquitos.. Do tell please.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Citronella oil is supposed to repel mosquitoes. In burners, candles, a few drops on the pillowcase or even in the water used to mop the floor.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
a little obvious - but get pest control to spray floors....it doesnt get rid but at least they lie on their backs and can be removed easily.Needs to be done yearly I think , I get away with two usually,but I only have them in the outside washroom

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
mixture

Yes I mean the sugar you make frosting with. I sprinkle a little bit of the mixture around the toilet in the cupboards etc. and they stay away. I keep all food in containers or in the fridge. Clean, clean, clean....and they are less likely to come. I've only ever had a couple of them here and there but the mixture works.
Here is the link that I got this info. check it out: Roaches - Get Rid of Cockroaches Organically Video - About.com

YB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Palmetto Bugs aren't like the typical German cockroach, and they don't really fly from place to place. They like dark and damp, and they can compress their body to get into some tiny places.

They mainly come out at night.

Indoor cats are good because they enjoy the sport of tracking and killing at night. They definitely keep the population down.

But the #1 best...and cheapest...way to get rid of them is simple: boric acid, tablets (my preference) or powder, placed in darp areas...like under and deep in cabinets, under the fridge, etc. Like 20 Mule Team Borax that Ronald Reagan promoted in the 50's. In fact, MOST anti-roach products have boric acid in them.

I'm from Tampa, home and Ground Zero of Palmetto Bugs, because we have so many...well....palmettos. They literally grow like weeds there. And the bugs follow.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Yes I mean the sugar you make frosting with. I sprinkle a little bit of the mixture around the toilet in the cupboards etc. and they stay away. I keep all food in containers or in the fridge. Clean, clean, clean....and they are less likely to come. I've only ever had a couple of them here and there but the mixture works.
Here is the link that I got this info. check it out: Roaches - Get Rid of Cockroaches Organically Video - About.com

YB

I used this method to get rid of ants following after it was recommended on a thread and IT REALLY WORKS!!!!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
those big buggers that fly into your house? get mosquito screens. that will work well. those cucarachas are not small dirty bastards living under the sink, they are travelling type. just stop them from entering the house.
and indeed - cats are the best cucaracha exterminators. only problem is that they tend to place dead victims when the owner can see them and appreciate the effort. thus our cats usually put cucaracha corpses into our shoes...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The last time we were in SD I saw a giant palmetto bug in my suegra's house, which is really unusual. I don't think I've seen more than a few in 35 years there. My husband tried to kill it but it escaped . My suegra was very calm, she said that meant it was going to rain. ????????

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
anyone have any experience with the electronic devises? it seems the ones you plug into a receptacle would be the best method if it works. i don't know where i heard this but it works. if you hang a ziplock baggie full of water by your doors it keeps flies from entering you house when the door is open. it must have something to do with the reflection/refraction of light that they think looks like a giant fly eye!