The Border

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
There is a new, informative internet page up by the Pan American Development Foundation (OAS affilitated) which gives an informative history of the border region.

The Border becomes a wall: 1936-1986 Our Border | Nuestra Frontera | Fwonty? Nou

The most interesting part here for me was seeing the history of Belledare.. Elias Pina and how the border route was changed to Jimini.

Since the Lakes on both sides of the border are flooding and the customs offices on both sides are in danger, and since the Lakes border right up against the mountains, and since the San Juan de Maguana area has lots of food production which does not get sold, and since Haiti is now building a new customs office in Belledare, it would seem reasonable to change the main traffic route back to the north.

Just as a matter of curiousity, how many DR1ers have been to Elias Pina?

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
Elias Pinas - Belladere crossing

The main route may eventually automatically change to the Elias Pinas - Belladere crossing - both passenger and truck traffic will eventually gravitate towards the shortest and most comfortable route. While the road from Santo Domingo to the Haitian border is shorter and in a better condition to Elias Pinas than to Jimani, the the opposite is the case on the Haitian side; the road from Belladere to Lascahobas is terrible.

That said, the European Union plans to fund the rehabilitation of the road all the way to Mirabalais to link up with the already flunky newly rehabilitated road linking to Port au Prince - say it may just be a matter of time...

Reactions: mountainannie

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Mr C has been working in the area over the last few weekends - he visited Hondo Valle, B?nica, El?as Pi?a. The nearest I've been is Jorgillo and Vallejuelo in San Juan province.

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
warning - no immigration officer

By the way; for the ones that thought this was a practical entryway for a round Island trip including Haiti - at present there are no immigration officials at the Belladere border, hence you would either have to return through the same border when you return to the DR, or go through signicifant hazzle trying to get an entry stamp from the national immigration office in Port au Prince; :ermm:

This will change, once the Belladere border complex is completed and inaugurated later this year or early 2010. ;)

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
border crossing

I crossed over into Belledare in April on foot, well on concho., and they gave me a customs certificate which they said would certainly be a valid paper for traveling about in Haiti.

Remember that there is a time zone difference. Haiti is one hour later.

So if you are a early bird, like me, you will have an interesting hour at the Belledare side, waiting for the officials to get to work at 9 when you left the dR at 9

Belledare is worth a trip, really so much nicer than Ouanminthe and/or Anse a Pitres.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
clearly

Mr C has been working in the area over the last few weekends - he visited Hondo Valle, B?nica, El?as Pi?a. The nearest I've been is Jorgillo and Vallejuelo in San Juan province.

We are going to have to have a DR! meetup in Matas de Farfan!! There is a really great hotel there with a pool, and a Haitian chef.

It is my dream of a summer residence.

WHO
is coming?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Sounds great - I didn't know about the hotel in LMF, I always stayed in San Juan.