Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyS

Jun 19, 2007
encuentro_masters_poster.jpg

DannyS

Jun 19, 2007
This should be a great event......

Definately. I've seen names attending and some photos of the DR Surf Legends from back in the day when they were groms. Pretty cool.

and a good time to check out a fairly "unspoiled" beach...at least by DR standards...

Not sure I'd call Playa Encuentro unspoiled what with a cleared parking area, "parking attendent" and snack shack. There are some truely unspoiled beach areas with surfable reefs but Encuentro has the most consistent surf. BUT CERTAINLY unspoiled by my NJ standards, jaja. It is why I'm here.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Is the local guy still there calling the shots?
If so, no thanks. Great idea though, wishing
you all much luck.

May 24, 2009
www.swellsurfcamp.com
I think the evening do at Cinnamon is the inscription and opening bash. They're planning a few days of competition after that.

Far be it from me to comment on the current management of Encuentro beach tflea, but if you saw Encuentro 5/6 years ago, it was a disgusting dump of garbage, flies and dog-sh*t. At least now, it is very clean and very picturesque.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
BTW...this is the same weekend as the Cabarete Jazz Fest so...sun and surf in the day and Cool Jazz (on the main beach) at night... should be a nice weekend to be in Cabarete :)

maggiemay

Aug 31, 2002
My husband Ricardo is one of the organisers, the concept of the event isn't just a contest for the Masters it's also a reunion for the surfers that have surfed since the sport started in the DR. There's going to be live bands on the beach while the contest goes on and DJ's playing music from the 60's 70's and 80's plus food and drink stands. The youngest competitors will be 35 years old and theres even some over 60's envolved. Even the little kid groms will also get a chance to show their talents and there will be an expression session from the best young pro surfers from the island. It should be a great weekend event for the whole family and it's bringing a lot of people to the north coast where it's desperately needed.
Maggiemay & Ricardo

DannyS

Jun 19, 2007
MaggieMay - Your Husband

Richardo was one of the first guys I met at Encuentro. I overheard him talking to one of the younger kids about my tatoo - "see that's old school". I got my coffee and went over introduced myself and told him the story behind the ink.

He's always been friendly in and out of the water. One of my first times there, I whistled him that I was on the wave - very uncool as a visitor. I paddled back and apologized. "Lo siento, new guy has no business calling off a local." He just said "no man that was your wave". Never forgot that, hope he did, ha. For that matter, I can't think of a place I've been where there were more than just a couple guys in the water where the locals are friendlier. But I've traveled and live in a place that gets crowded in the summer, I know how to behave (usually that is)

A gentlemen and good ambassador for North coast surfing. Looking forward to the event. Nice job.

Danny

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Swellsurfcamp; I visited Encuentro the first time in '94, but no matter, I just don't like bullies. But I love the place itself, it's unique. It's just not the domain of one person, it belongs to the people at large......

May 24, 2009
www.swellsurfcamp.com
Swellsurfcamp; I visited Encuentro the first time in '94, but no matter, I just don't like bullies. But I love the place itself, it's unique. It's just not the domain of one person, it belongs to the people at large......

TFlea - me neither, but sadly it's just the way the country is. Given that we cannot change that, I try and look at the up-side and it is a more pleasant/cleaner place to be these days.

Back to the OP's thread......the competition that Ricardo is organizing will be very entertaining........ :bunny:

Status
Not open for further replies.