I guess it's progress....but

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
This is my personal rant ....

You know I got it, progress is important, one thing that I have gotten to enjoy over the last few months is waking up and looking out my window at a nice view of the Caribbean Sea each morning. I am not that close about I guess 8 or so blocks from the Malecon, but I got a pretty good expansive view, and now they are ruining it. About a quarter of a block away they are in the process of putting up another apartment building, right in front of my VIEW!!!!!

I have watched this for the past few months and I was hoping against hope that they would stop before it obstructed my view, but it is now obvious to me that they are going to go higher, so in a few weeks or maybe a month or so the majority of my view will be gone as well. Boy will I miss it, I get my strength everyday when I look at it.

The thing that gets me, is as you go around the city you notice so many other apartment building that are no where near capacity or are completely vacant, and yet they are constantly building more, higher and higher, that I think will most likely be vacant for a long time before they ever put anyone in any of them, and yet they add more?? You would think that someone would say the economy isn't that good, we have too many other buildings that are just sitting there, but no!! Let's add one more and ruin Yayow's view;)

I don't get it but I guess it's progress.

OK my rant is done, everyone have a very nice day.

Peace Out!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
yup

You know I got it, progress is important, one thing that I have gotten to enjoy over the last few months is waking up and looking out my window at a nice view of the Caribbean Sea each morning. I am not that close about I guess 8 or so blocks from the Malecon, but I got a pretty good expansive view, and now they are ruining it. About a quarter of a block away they are in the process of putting up another apartment building, right in front of my VIEW!!!!!

I have watched this for the past few months and I was hoping against hope that they would stop before it obstructed my view, but it is now obvious to me that they are going to go higher, so in a few weeks or maybe a month or so the majority of my view will be gone as well. Boy will I miss it, I get my strength everyday when I look at it.

The thing that gets me, is as you go around the city you notice so many other apartment building that are no where near capacity or are completely vacant, and yet they are constantly building more, higher and higher, that I think will most likely be vacant for a long time before they ever put anyone in any of them, and yet they add more?? You would think that someone would say the economy isn't that good, we have too many other buildings that are just sitting there, but no!! Let's add one more and ruin Yayow's view;)

Peace Out!

We are going to lose the Malecon all the way along all the possible routes where they can build the Torres... which is only along the avenues here in Gazcue. The Bank Agricola is going to be sold and a new Torre goes there.

The Torres along the Malecon will have to go through a good big storm before the locals have much confidence in them so they will be vacant for a while.

Best to get in the old sections and roof parties!!!

there is no way to stop the Torres!!!

(although there are an increasing number of neighborhood protests against them)

ole!

Fishguy

Oct 22, 2006
yet they are constantly building more, higher and higher

Lieonel's dream is to have enough housing so the entire population can move to Santo Domingo and he won't have to bother thinking about the rest of the country (not that he does now, mind you).

Just imagine the expansive metro system he could build to replace the current monstrosity he's already built. Just imagine the money he could throw at it if it served more than the 1/2 of 1% of this country's population.

No more nagging about transmitting that useless electricity to other parts of the island! No more huelgas from people that have dirt roads. No more complaining about cement factories. The benefits go on and on....

Reactions: mountainannie

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
In the same vein, WTF is it with all the new malls being built when most of the existing ones are struggling to let their units and some languish completely empty or unfinished?

It's not just in Santo Domingo - there is a veritable epidemic of gratuitous mall building in Punta Cana/B?varo.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Why are all those new Torres and malls being built even though a lot of existing ones are struggling to fill up? Because it is the easiest way to launder all those millions of USD produced by the sale of the white stuff flown through the DR and delivered to the streets of The US and Europe...Can't keep all that loot just lying around can't trust the banks or the government, so what to do what to do? Oh yeah build apartments and disco clubs...

Reactions: mountainannie

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com

Peace Out!

Move to the new building - get your view back :D !

Gregg

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Move to the new building - get your view back :D !

Gregg

Thanks Gregg,

May have to do that;), of course right now they are just putting up the shell, still much more to do and then after it is complete if I moved into it for the first 18 months I would probably be the lone inhabitant of the building.

I just hope now that they have done as much as they have, that at least they have the decency to finish the job, and don't leave a complete eye sore of an uncompleted building. Actually I am getting quite an upclose lesson in their construction procedures as I watch this thing go up.

Yayow

Jan 9, 2004
So true....

and lets not forget all that heavy construction equipment needed to construct those Torres and Malls.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Why are all those new Torres and malls being built even though a lot of existing ones are struggling to fill up? Because it is the easiest way to launder all those millions of USD produced by the sale of the white stuff flown through the DR and delivered to the streets of The US and Europe...Can't keep all that loot just lying around can't trust the banks or the government, so what to do what to do? Oh yeah build apartments and disco clubs...

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
those Haitians, aren't they?

(ducking now to avoid the flurry of rotten eggs)

Yes the manual labor is done exclusively by Haitians, at least they are working and making a salary. The foreman who is in charge is Dominican he comes by occasionally with blueprints etc.

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
benefits

Yes the manual labor is done exclusively by Haitians, at least they are working and making a salary. The foreman who is in charge is Dominican he comes by occasionally with blueprints etc.

Well, at least some social benefits come out of it...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I don't want to hijack this thread.....but what are they doing with the torre on the malecon that's been sitting there for YEARS because someone forgot to put one center beam in? At least that's what I was told...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's still there - it's become extremely useful as a crack den, a caba?a substitute and a billboard.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
those Haitians, aren't they?

(ducking now to avoid the flurry of rotten eggs)
More impressive is Dominican leadership.

Its amazing how people that can barely build a nice avenue (judging by the constructions in Port-au-Prince) can build such beautiful highrises and other complexes in the DR.

Same people, different rulers. Hmm, maybe its a sign of the future ala United Arab Emirates.

Hmm, I wonder how Haiti would look with the Dominican elite running the show.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

Those projects are built after a certain percentage of the apartments are sold. When that doesn't happen, the projects are canceled.

Many people buy apartments are investments since its much more stable than say investing in the stock market or a business venture, and has greater returns than leaving the money in the bank!

And the economy has been rebounding as of late.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
OK, can you back it up?

Contrabando, lavado de activos y la econom?a dominicana

:surprised

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I don't want to hijack this thread.....but what are they doing with the torre on the malecon that's been sitting there for YEARS because someone forgot to put one center beam in? At least that's what I was told...

The other rumor that made its way around is that the foundation is no good and its sinking. Should have been knocked down 8 years ago. Was a good restaurant there before.:tired:

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
More impressive is Dominican leadership.

Its amazing how people that can barely build a nice avenue (judging by the constructions in Port-au-Prince) can build such beautiful highrises and other complexes in the DR.

Same people, different rulers. Hmm, maybe its a sign of the future ala United Arab Emirates.

Hmm, I wonder how Haiti would look with the Dominican elite running the show.

Now I know who built the original bypass around mirador norte to Charles de Gaulle because it was only about 6 months after it opened that it was all broke to crap. must have been Haitians that done the work I guess, and here I thought it was Dominicans that did not use the proper mix on the asphalt, plus applying to thin without a proper bed, and stuck the money in their pockets. Well who knew? See I learn something every time Nal's posts.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Those projects are built after a certain percentage of the apartments are sold. When that doesn't happen, the projects are canceled.

Many people buy apartments are investments since its much more stable than say investing in the stock market or a business venture, and has greater returns than leaving the money in the bank!

And the economy has been rebounding as of late.

When you embark on a business venture, your first step is to establish whether there demand for the product you plan to provide.

DR residential and commercial property developers seem to do the opposite - build lots more of what is already available and for which there is clearly insufficient demand. Who wants to invest in a half or three quarters empty mall or apartment block?

Other than a blind lack of business sense, what explanation is there other than a lot of money that needs laundering?