Is there a CHEAP way to mail stuff from the US to DR?

JJBro1

Oct 15, 2009
I have alot of things that I want in the US that I want mailed to me here in San Pedro, but its really expensive and can go up to $100 in shipping. Is there any other way besides mailing the stuff to someone in the US that's coming down to the dr anyway? Is there some service that specializes in deilvery from the US to the DR?

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I have alot of things that I want in the US that I want mailed to me here in San Pedro, but its really expensive and can go up to $100 in shipping. Is there any other way besides mailing the stuff to someone in the US that's coming down to the dr anyway? Is there some service that specializes in deilvery from the US to the DR?

Other than using a reliable mail forwarding service in the DR which is expensive your choices are a Mule or Carrier Pidgeon!

It is what it is !

PC

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Eps charges around $US3 per pound for shipping from Miami or NYC. That's fairly reasonable for smaller items.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Here are Eps's exact rates from Miami in pounds:
1-2.99.........$4.75 per pound
3-4.99.........$4.50 " "
5-9.99.........$4.10 " "
10-14.99......$3.65 " "
15-19.99......$3.35 " "
20-49.99......$3.00 " "
50-99.99......$2.80 " "
100-199.99...$2.50 " "
200-499.99...$1.90 " "
500 +...........$1.60 " "

These rates are in U.S Dollars
Shipping from New York is 8 to 12% higher, more pounds less %
They also tack on Per Shipment...6.50 D.P. for Servicio DGA
Combustable cargo...Approx. 12 D.P.
The cargo doesn't have to be combustable, they charge this for the packaging the item is shipped in. Paper, cardboard box...You get the drift.
Never had a problem, but customs does check EVERY shipment and retapes.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
CPS = Caribbean Parcel Service is less expensive and so is Business Mail.

However, I do not know if they have offices in SPM.

You mentioned having stuff carried down by friends and family. That is the least expensive way.

However, it is also a good thing to get used to doing without a few of those things you think are so necessary to your daily life...Part of living in paradise...

HB

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I'm using Transexpress and Vimenca for the first time to get a box from the US via Miami to Sosua.

Transexpress tells me that it will be delivered to my home. Anyone know if this is true? Or do I have to go to the Western Union in town to pick it up?

Transexpress tells me that I'll receive a call and then a delivery.

Just want to know what is true - don't mind picking it up, but it would be lovely to have it delivered.

Thanks for any input - haven't sent it yet - and suggestions and what happens on the DR end.

Regards

Feb 7, 2007
Drro: no it will not be delivered. In SD and ST they offer in-home delivery, for about 100-300 pesos charge. Not available in other DR cities.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Thanks. So will they call me and then I go to the Western Union office to pick it up?

Appreciate what you say, don't like surprises!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Not Too Bad

I receive my parcels via CPS for 169 RD$/lb.
That rate goes down with heavier (> 10 lbs.) stuff.
I can live with it.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Thanks Windeguy, appreciate it.

Was somewhat apprehensive since they're so much cheaper than the others.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
What things?

We are getting more and more things in from the States here in the Capital every day. Are you sure that these things are not available here? They just might not be available in SPM. Do you want to try posting what it is that you want and see if some of us can spot them for you as we go about?

JJBro1

Oct 15, 2009
We are getting more and more things in from the States here in the Capital every day. Are you sure that these things are not available here? They just might not be available in SPM. Do you want to try posting what it is that you want and see if some of us can spot them for you as we go about?
Well the things I want to send are really expensive and I don't want to buy them again. I'm trying to send a keyboard and a drum machine so I can make music on my computer, some comic books that I own, a
couple of video games and my wii.

Mar 1, 2009
I was looking for a way to send some items as well, this is SUPER helpful (I took some of them in my maleta when I flew in last week, what a pain). My dominican friends mentioned EPS but I didn't understand what they meant. Sometimes my spanish malfunctions. Montero Shipping charges a fortune.

JJBro1

Oct 15, 2009
EPS keeps talking about miami, what if i want to mail something that's from california?

GKLSY

Sep 7, 2009

Can you tell me where to get a small microwave and aprox. how much it will cost? Are there places that rent small appliances? Any places that sell used items? Will I be able to just plug it in and use it, or is there something electrical I will need too? Thanks!

JJBro1

Oct 15, 2009
The way several of these businesses work including EPS and TransExpress is that they give you an address in Miami where you have products shipped to within the US. The packages are collected in Miami and then sent to your local office in the DR.

For example, your package from California would be sent to your "address" in Miami and then forwarded to the DR.
i see, so how do i create this address?

Feb 7, 2007
Just had my first experience with Vimenpaq/Transexpress.

The package got to Miami on Friday afternoon, it was on Monda in SD and Tuesday at 5 pm I went to local Vimenca to pick the package up. The cost was !!!! 95 pesos !!! per pound, rounded up to the next half-pound. I paid less than 700 pesos including fuel surcharge, EPS cost would be at least 1000 pesos for the same item.

The tracking is easy, website is very informative and shows progress for the package step by step, you get email notice when package is received in Miami.

Delivery time and tracking is on par with EPS, price is 30% cheaper.

Another thing: I know DR Aduana is a hit and miss; in this case the sender did not include the invoice (why, I don't know) the item was $197 - so on board of the $200 limit - and this item frequently sells for more than $200 - but the item was neither delayed nor charged taxes/duties.

The only issue I see with Vimenpaq is the cumbersome box address (which if you mess up your package may end up in a different country) - e.g. for DR it's DO80QXXXXXX - I have already suggested them to make this easier to remember.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Wanted to share my experience - first time using Vimenca - somewhat skeptical but...used Transexpress from NY to Miami, package arrived in Miami on a Monday, was in customs in SD on Tues and in Sosua on Wed. I kept calling Transexpress and was able to track the whole thing online; and the Transexpress person sent a message (without my asking) to say I'd pick it up on Friday. Today I went in, with the email from them printed out and in 5 minutes was out. 13 lbs US$27

Don't know if this was a fluke but I am very pleased.

The only inconsistency is that Transexpress told me they deliver, not in Sosua they don't but it's easy enough to pick up at the Western Union office.

I'd use them again in a heartbeat!