Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Crime gated community

Hello, I will like to know if anyone has experience any crimes lately (Year 2009) with in a gated community? (i.e. Armed robbery, home invasion, scams, etc).

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

are we interested in a particular area ?

Moderator - Clown Central
    Post Thanks / Like

Gated community means nothing.
    It's false security.

Even in the States one of my girlfriends lived in one.
    She told me to call when I got there so I could be let in.

I knocked on her door and told her I was there.

Don

Post Thanks / Like

Hi jrhartley,

Well we can start with the Northern side of the country, Santiago.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont live in gated community in Sosua...to date no crime apart from theft of oranges off the tree

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Take responsibility for your own security....guards can be paid off, gates can be beached, and they hinder response from police and fire brigades....that's anywhere in the world.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I have, a couple of months ago, inquired on the RE-Forum of this board about that very issue, in specific some well known luxury neighborhoods. Besides some PM hinting a history of "hidden away" problems I found that for obvious economics many residents of such developments and especially those linked to the commercialization of properties within these neighborhoods "hold tight", in other words, don't tell and also invest quite a bit of effort and even money to assure that issues are not disseminated.
    I found some worrisome reports about Casa De Campo and a few other luxury developments on the South Eastern Coast, where especially some assaults and murders have "leaked" into public domain.
    If you are good at using search engines in different languages, you will find some reports and stories.

Still, I think that one has to stick to observation and logic over what some people do or don't tell.

Large gated developments spend thousands in "security" with effective results which often are not much more than window dressing (show) and may only scare away novice delinquents.
    Large neighborhoods are extremely difficult to control and make safe. Interestingly enough, in some, the individual security of luxury homes is next to nil. Sure, the idea of a luxury Caribbean lifestyle does usually not include having to barricade one away like in a barrio. A residence with "open" homes oozes the impression of safety and freedom so many are prepared to pay top Dollars for.
    Still, prospect buyers should never forget that this is a third world country where the vast majority of it's inhabitants struggle day in day out, for life. The "Robin Hood" syndrome is thus rampant... it seems nothing but OK for many to take a little away from those who seem to have too much and in many cases don't even seem to use it... which brings us to an other phenomenon the observer should not overlook; low occupancy within some of these neighborhoods. Some have an average occupancy rate as low as 25% (residents and short time tenants combined... if you buy to produce rental income, that's a number to ponder!). It would seem reasonable to suspect that "neighborhood watch" will be next to nonexistent in situations like these... which brings us again back to the security of each property.

I know some properties in Punta Cana as well as Casa De Campo have been implemented with advanced preventive electronic and structural security measures. Nowadays, one can do that without having to resort to unsightly steel bars around all windows, patios and entrances, especially if aspects of safety can be considered during the initial architectural design (a home can be designed to look good and offer safety or look bad ans still offer no safety at all). In other luxury developments (I won't name, you can look and rate for yourself), most properties have virtually NO physical safety (ridiculous looks, bad or interior grade exterior doors, etc), little to no surveillance or alarm and thus rely exclusively on the perceived safety from a "gated" entrance (but weak perimeter separation just meters away from the impressive gates) and patrolling guards, which are said to be warned that should they ever succumb to the obvious temptations and become the cause of problems, they will find themselves severely punished (citing examples which again hint a history).

So Vercceti, I doubt you will find yourself served a lot of juicy detailed stories here... but some reports can be found and also risks be suspected when one looks at every situation with the pink colored glass safely stashed away.
    If you look at a particular development, don't be shy and talk to people in the street, make "friends" and let them share "stories" with you.

I live in a very small gated but unguarded community in Puerto Plata (city) and we have never ever had the slightest problem. But then, we have an 80% occupancy rate and the homes are laid out in a horseshoe shape with the main view on the entrance. Also, moost homes are still fortified and all have alarm (to which WE respond, even when it's always only been a false alarm).

... J-D.
    Last edited by J D Sauser; 10-17-2009 at 10:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi J D Sauser, base on your experience living on a small gated community, what are pros and cons of living there?

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SantiagoDR View Post
    Gated community means nothing.
    It's false security.

Even in the States one of my girlfriends lived in one.
    She told me to call when I got there so I could be let in.

I knocked on her door and told her I was there.

Don
    How many crimes have you heard about in Sea Horse Ranch over the past 10 years? Have you tried just walking in to Sea Horse?

What about Punta Cana Village, Cap Cana etc?

If you know of crimes, please list them here, with the sources.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

some criminals used to live inside sea horse ranch, but thats another story

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast