Are genuine cannoli's available in santiago

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Been looking at a lot of bakeries here but to no avail. There must be one bakery here that sells cannoli's. Preferrably a real Italian bakery. Before any Sicilians gets upset, I know cannoli's originated in Sicily. But I really doubt if there is an authentic Sicilian bakery here. There must be cannoli lovers here that can help.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The only two "fine" bakeries that I know of are the La Campagna (three locations) and Francepan on 27. Super. Nac. does have some desserts but I don't know if any will have what you are looking for. If so I'm interested to know where.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
And if you do find a bakery that makes them do not buy them if they are already filled and have been sitting there for a day. The best tasting ones are filled minutes before purchase or they will be soggy. If the shell isn't crisp and crunchy it's no good ;)

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Back in the states I did a lot of cooking for my family. I am going to try and make my own. I've looked up recipies on the internet and I am giving it a go. I used to cook 30 different flavored (natural) custard eclaires and homemade Greek Baklava that were fantastic. You are right, cannolli's need to be servered fast. And yes, I am a man that loves to cook. I used to cook the greatest meals for my family and guess what they really loved........TACO BELL, The food that is cheaper than dogfood. I could never figure.

Last edited:

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
oh, forgot to say,.....when I finally make them perfect, chocolate chips and all, I will post the recipe. Maybe even with pistachios. Here comes another 10 lbs.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'll have one with pistachios please and some lemoncello which I'm in the process of making right now. I got a taste of the real stuff and need to make my own now.

BTW chocolate chips don't go on Sicilian cannoli, yeah I know I know ;)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
oh, forgot to say,.....when I finally make them perfect, chocolate chips and all, I will post the recipe. Maybe even with pistachios. Here comes another 10 lbs.

Better yet, post your address here in Santiago so we can "test" them first hand, hehe.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Better yet, post your address here in Santiago so we can "test" them first hand, hehe.

Actually Chip, that's not a problem. But I don't think I have enough tables and chairs for... say everybody. I really cook a mean EVERYTHING AMERICANO

Changing the subject, I can't even find a good prime rib here. OK, I can't find one at all. I would give my left n*t for a prime rib roast.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Waytogo, it's been my experience that once you leave Brooklyn all cannoli taste terrible. :cheeky: Well, maybe not ALL, but unless you're buying them from a bakery in a very Italian neighborhood [a "little Italy", South Philly comes to mind] you're taking a chance. I had an OK one at a Columbus Day Italian Festival on the 10th from a bakery with a booth there. They filled them as you ordered them {$3 a pop}, and the filling was very good, but the ends of the shells were dipped in chocolate, and then, before I could say something, they dipped the freshly filled cannolo into a tub of chocolate chips.:ermm: Bakeries fill them with all sorts of things [custard, cream, even chocolate 'stuff', etc] instead of the ricotta cheese mixture that they're supposed to begin with. A few years ago an Italian bakery opened about 10 miles from my house, the owners moved here from Brooklyn. Heavenly. I can't even imagine finding a decent one in DR unless it's at an upscale Italian restaurant with Sicilian born owners. Hey, I wonder if that's a cottage industry I could start when I retire there......be an old Sicilian lady making cannoli!

Let me know if you don't like the way your recipes come out, I can send you a couple that family and friends use.

AE

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Waytogo, it's been my experience that once you leave Brooklyn all cannoli taste terrible. :cheeky: Well, maybe not ALL, but unless you're buying them from a bakery in a very Italian neighborhood [a "little Italy", South Philly comes to mind] you're taking a chance. I had an OK one at a Columbus Day Italian Festival on the 10th from a bakery with a booth there. They filled them as you ordered them {$3 a pop}, and the filling was very good, but the ends of the shells were dipped in chocolate, and then, before I could say something, they dipped the freshly filled cannolo into a tub of chocolate chips.:ermm: Bakeries fill them with all sorts of things [custard, cream, even chocolate 'stuff', etc] instead of the ricotta cheese mixture that they're supposed to begin with. A few years ago an Italian bakery opened about 10 miles from my house, the owners moved here from Brooklyn. Heavenly. I can't even imagine finding a decent one in DR unless it's at an upscale Italian restaurant with Sicilian born owners. Hey, I wonder if that's a cottage industry I could start when I retire there......be an old Sicilian lady making cannoli!

Let me know if you don't like the way your recipes come out, I can send you a couple that family and friends use.

AE
Please pm me with the recipes. Failures here are expensive. I would much rather try a family recipe. I always like to experiment a little to see if my taste buds are still alive. Daily rice and beans dull the culinary sences. If they turn out good, I'll make you a batch. AND...With Ricotta cheese

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Please pm me with the recipes. Failures here are expensive. I would much rather try a family recipe. I always like to experiment a little to see if my taste buds are still alive. Daily rice and beans dull the culinary sences. If they turn out good, I'll make you a batch. AND...With Ricotta cheese

I'll pm you tonight when I get home. Now I'm sitting here at work craving one :ermm:

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I never made them before, but I won't quit until they are perfect. (I hope)............ Like a Jew really knows a great Cannoli. But I do know a great Chicago Vienna hot dog I'll make you a batch (cannoli's) and you be the judge.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
There's an Italian "gourmet" market (I think it;s called Punta Italia?) in the large plaza directly across the street from La Sirena. I haven't been inside, but I've heard the owners are Italian..maybe they can help find what you're looking for.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I will definitly check it out. I am waiting for AlterEgo to send me a recipe.....hope she didn't forget

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Happened to be in Santiago again.......

There's an Italian "gourmet" market (I think it;s called Punta Italia?) in the large plaza directly across the street from La Sirena. I haven't been inside, but I've heard the owners are Italian..maybe they can help find what you're looking for.

........and checked this place out.............

NO CANNOLI's..................

and the owner wasn't there and the person working there had no idea where to get them..........

This place seemed to have mostly italian pastas, olives, cheese, wine and some tables to sit and eat..........not sure what they serve cause I was in a hurry...............only know that they don't have pastry!

Its in the Plaza on the same side as the JETBLUE office but further back from the street.........

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I will definitly check it out. I am waiting for AlterEgo to send me a recipe.....hope she didn't forget

I didn't forget waytogo, I'm sick as a proverbial dog and haven't dug out the recipe/s. I'll do it as soon as I can crawl to the kitchen. Now if there were a fresh batch of cannoli in there I'd be scampering :) Chicken soup has nothing on fresh cannoli!

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
You haven't tasted MY chicken soup. I just happened to make a fresh pot of homemade chicken soup. The real deal, chuck full of fresh carrots, celery, onions, mucho pollo, and more....After a few hours in the ref., I take off all the fat that goes to the surface.so yummy
I really enjoy HOMEMADE food....Take your time and take care, remember, a lot of fluids.

S

sheepshanx

"everything americano"

Actually Chip, that's not a problem. But I don't think I have enough tables and chairs for... say everybody. I really cook a mean EVERYTHING AMERICANO

Changing the subject, I can't even find a good prime rib here. OK, I can't find one at all. I would give my left n*t for a prime rib roast.

You know what I didnt like was when you go to a "finer" restaurant, I didnt see many of them but anyway, and you tell them how you want your meat prepared. No matter what, it always, ALWAYS, comes back well done. And its like chewing a rubber tire, albeit a bias-ply tire. Or maybe more like the inner tube?
And whats up with steak sauce? I mean, if you re going to over cooked it, over season it, and offer a wet piece of lettuce as accoutrement, why not indulge me by hiding this disasterous piece of meat, under 4 ounces of A1 equivalent?