'Private Beaches' an Issue? Just check THIS out!

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Chamber of Deputies has been given a legislative proposal that would be quite significant.

• collection of a RD$35.00 per day fee from each foreigner older than 12 years old that is staying in a hotel at a tourist area and a RD$17.50 charge for each Dominican 18-60 yrs old
  • limit the sale of food and drinks of any kind to designated areas
  • no use of campfires
  • watersports, social activities, & watercraft limited to specified areas... confiscation of equipment for violators
  • no beachchairs, umbrellas, etc for commercial use
  • animals prohibited in designated bathing areas
  • banning of total or partial nudity, prostitution, harassment or any exhibition that was against the public morality.

Fines/punishments from half a month's minimum wage to prison terms from five days to two years.

Foreigners who violate the law and would be convicted of this, their punishment would be deportation from the national territory.

source: A proposal to put a tax on beach use - DiarioLibre.com

D

dieselguy

I think this is another "Stake into the heart of Dom. Rep." I can just see a family of five at the beach. They will go home and tell all their friends and this is would be terrible.
Auto dealers have a rule of fourty. family of five total expend. 5000$us. x40 families = huge losses... The dom rep will have lost all forward momentum in the tourist area.

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
Thong

At this point is it still legal to wear a thong bikini and go topless?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Chamber of Deputies has been given a legislative proposal that would be quite significant.

• collection of a RD$35.00 per day fee from each foreigner older than 12 years old that is staying in a hotel at a tourist area and a RD$17.50 charge for each Dominican 18-60 yrs old
  • limit the sale of food and drinks of any kind to designated areas
  • no use of campfires
  • watersports, social activities, & watercraft limited to specified areas... confiscation of equipment for violators
  • no beachchairs, umbrellas, etc for commercial use
  • animals prohibited in designated bathing areas
  • banning of total or partial nudity, prostitution, harassment or any exhibition that was against the public morality.

Fines/punishments from half a month's minimum wage to prison terms from five days to two years.

Foreigners who violate the law and would be convicted of this, their punishment would be deportation from the national territory.

source: A proposal to put a tax on beach use - DiarioLibre.com

It's ridiculous and will never happen. It's just more brain dead waffle from some people. The "power" here will never let this happen, regardless of what a bunch of brain dead politicians come up with.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
hmm all tourists will have to buy their own beach chairs and carry them to the beach- have we thought this master plan through,they must have spent a good five minutes brainstorming

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
I agree with Robert on this, it's just another 'flatliner' with a proposal that won't fly. Imagine trying to collect.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
I really get a kick out of this. I hope those who kept blabbering about the abuse being committed by private owners and developers keeping beaches out of the public realm now understand who their real enemies are.
I knew it all the time. It is not the developers who build hotels and resorts who keep Dominicans out. It is our own politicians, who own beachfronts and devise laws to keep us from enjoy our beaches.
I hope we now join progress and support private development, which has made our beaches better and safer.