Rabies vaccinations for pets

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
I have been traveling with my pets back and forth from Canada to the DR for nearly 10 years now. Never a problem with the papers and documents.

Here is my question: The Rabies vaccination which is administered in Canada is good for 3 years. Does anybody know, if this is accepted in the DR?

I hate to over-vaccinate my pets. They are indoor cats, Himalayan and Persian. My Vet does not really recommend vaccinating them against Rabies when it is not necessary, but so far I have been doing this. Tomorrow is the day, because we will be traveling soon.

Any comments and/or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

Adam Spenser

Nov 29, 2002
When I lived in the DR and periodically travelled to the US and back I was advised by both the animal official in Puerto Plata and my vet that DR law required a rabies shot every year notwithstanding my dog had a 3 year rabies shot in the US that was in its 2nd year. To get around over innoculating my dog when necessary within the 3 year periods she got half shots. Unless something has changed in the last couple of years I would make certain that a 3 year shot if beyond the 1st year is ok. A DR vet or the airport official for animals should know.

Adam

Aug 21, 2007
In the past, my dog had 3 year vaccines. We traveled into and out of the DR about 10 times with no problems........however, when that vaccine expired- just in case- I re-vaccinated with a one year.

This is nothing new to the vets at the airport.....they recognize the 3 year vaccine.

Lindsey

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
Thank you all for your responses. I will discuss it again with my Vet when I take my cats this afternoon for their annual boosters and health check.

The reason I asked for advice is that I don't want to be stuck arriving at the airport in POP and the vet has a problem with my vaccination papers.

I remember the nightmare story of these poor people who wanted to import their pet bird.

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
I just wanted to follow up on this.

We have been in Cabarete since December 3rd now. No problems at the airport! I did not get my cats vaccinated for Rabies again and my papers were accepted as they were. (3 year Vaccine)

I was just reminded to make sure I had a Vet's Health Certicate from here when we are leaving to go back to Canada. They are getting quite sticky about this now, if you are staying longer than a couple of weeks with your pets.
This certificate is really a joke. My cats were never examined last year when we left. My husband took the papers to the vet's office, he filled out the paperwork and collected RD$ 3200 for the two cats. Apparently RD$1000 per animal goes to the Veterinary College and the rest is for filling out papers.

Another money grab, but I don't mind as long as I can bring them with me.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
when we arrived her in august with our 11 dogs, we were told beforehand by the consulate of the DR in Belgium that the rabies shot should be less than one year old...

we do not like to over-inoculate our dogs either, and as they were fine to European standards, our vet just filled out an official form (available on his comp) that all our dogs had received inoculation that year...

on top of this, nobody at POP even looked at those papers (and we brought the dogs in 4 at a time, so 3 times in total)...

just make sure they are inoculated as I have been told rabies is a problem over here...

hi3cmz

Oct 19, 2009
Hi everybody, I am going to move with two dogs (one mix, and one labrador) from Taiwan to Santiago (STI), I have all (rabbies, lyme, distemper and so on, that has 8 disseses together) vaccines shot 6 months ago, also got two health certificate, first is local vet certificate with vaccine record, and other is Taiwan state animal bureau official certificate, which only list rabbies shot, my question is, will all those paper good to let them entry into DR painless? I have read that uppon arrival, I should pay some fee for vet check? please somebody help, thanks~~!

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
10 dollar fee for each dog and the only paper the veterenaria check is a paper saying, in spanish that your dog is treathed against internal and external parasites. has to be resent, few days no more (the exaxt number i forgot) and this paper has to be signed by the vet who administred the treatment and the ministry of sanitation of country of departure

Greetings

Johan

hi3cmz

Oct 19, 2009
Done, 10 US each pet, and rabies certificate is the only requirement as JAN/2010, very easy, thanks for everyone!

torreylee

Oct 24, 2009
www.mesothelioma-lawsuit-advice.com
10 dollar fee for each dog and the only paper the veterenaria check is a paper saying, in spanish that your dog is treathed against internal and external parasites. has to be resent, few days no more (the exaxt number i forgot) and this paper has to be signed by the vet who administred the treatment and the ministry of sanitation of country of departure

Greetings

Johan

Are you speaking in regards to leaving the DR?

I am very concerned about what I need for my pup while entering the DR permanently. I am getting very,very nervous. Not only do am I not sure of EXACTLY what I need, but after talking to American Airlines today I found out that I can't fly from my home city but I will have to fly from either Chicago or Cleveland because they don't ship dogs as Cargo from Detroit! I AM FREAKING OUT!

I will fly from Chicago because I have many friends their and I can make it a nice going away party weekend in the CHI, but I need things to be correct when I go to the airport. Please help with any info and help you may have...

Anyone...

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
:)Torry,

When you get here not a big deal. Just to the left of the baggage area (when you are looking at the exit) is an office that you will hand in your papers and $10 and you are on your way. Takes about 5 min to do and not a big deal. So relax you are in the DR now :)

Bob K

torreylee

Oct 24, 2009
www.mesothelioma-lawsuit-advice.com
:) Thanks Bob I got your PM as well! You've always been so extremely helpful and trust me, I truly appreciate it! I also found out that I CAN fly from home, I just ship her as checked luggage instead of cargo! She's goin for her rabies shots in about an hour and a half and we are flying out March 29th, I just booked my one-way ticket last night! DR here we come!

:)

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
:) Thanks Bob I got your PM as well! You've always been so extremely helpful and trust me, I truly appreciate it! I also found out that I CAN fly from home, I just ship her as checked luggage instead of cargo! She's goin for her rabies shots in about an hour and a half and we are flying out March 29th, I just booked my one-way ticket last night! DR here we come!

:)

Great for you and welcome to the DR... just one word of advice... make sure at check-in that they tell the pilot there is a dog on board as checked luggage (concerning temperature and oxigen), check again when you board the plane and ask confirmation from the stewardess, asking her to check with the captain... If you have a stop-over, check there to make sure they do not leave your puppy outside in the sun, and make sure it is on the right plane...

I don't write this to scare you, and we never had any problems at all, as in general airline crews are very helpful as animals are concerned.

Once in POP, we had trouble with customs as they wanted taxes for our dogs (on top of the 10 $), my wife started to argue, but I told her to pay the 500 pesos and get the hell out of the airport.

hi3cmz

Oct 19, 2009
Ok, this is final result. I went into DR via STI, and they charged RD$400 per head, and US vet paper was Ok, just rabies vaccine. I have had everything in hand, and less than 10 minuues I am waiting for truck to bring them to new house here in Santiago. Airport people where friendly with pets. Hope this helps!

pebdiver

Oct 4, 2010
We are planning to travel with our dog the the DR for 5 months and than returning back to Canada with our dog. What do we need to re-enter Canada for our dog?

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
We are planning to travel with our dog the the DR for 5 months and than returning back to Canada with our dog. What do we need to re-enter Canada for our dog?

Not sure what the rules are in your country for re-entering a dog but some other posters can answer you for sure on that one.

Concerning leaving the DR with the dog, you need a paper (health certificate in Spanish) from a local vet (cost around 1,000 RDS).
Once at the airport before checking in, you need to ask at the desk to bring you to the responsible person from the Ministery of Agriculture, get a stamp on the health certificate which will cost you 300 RDS and with that paper you can check in the dog at the airline desk then. Be there on time because it can take some time to get the paper at the airport.