Where to stay in Puerto Plata Area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTMom

Oct 19, 2009
:ermm:Hi Everyone,
I have been reading & reading here & all over the internet about Puerto Plata & the Dominican Republic in general. I thought it was going to be a great family vacation spot just like other islands we have visited like Grand Cayman & Aruba. I'm starting to wonder if I made a mistake getting tickets. Can someone please help me out here? Is it a safe place to go to? What do you think is the best resort, with the best food & it doesn't have to be All inclusive as we like to go to restaurants, although I'm thinking maybe we can't leave the resort at night? I'm traveling with my husband, one pre-teen & two teens. We like white sandy beaches, with blue water & I'm reading that I can only find that in other areas, not in Puerto Plata, which I don't get. We're not that hard to please, I swear! I just want to be sure my children will be safe, nobody will get sick from eating food or water & I'm not going to find bugs/roaches in my room. I don't think that's too much to ask for, right? It seems most people only post things when they want to complain instead of posting the 'good'. (not on this forum)
Thank you in advance!! :)
CTMom

:ermm:Hi Everyone,
I have been reading & reading here & all over the internet about Puerto Plata & the Dominican Republic in general. I thought it was going to be a great family vacation spot just like other islands we have visited like Grand Cayman & Aruba. I'm starting to wonder if I made a mistake getting tickets. Can someone please help me out here?You made a fine choice in coming to the Dominican Republic and especially Puerto Plata,There are many fine resorts and definately one to your tastes if you look on all the common travel websites. Is it a safe place to go to? What do you think is the best resort, with the best food & it doesn't have to be All inclusive as we like to go to restaurants, although I'm thinking maybe we can't leave the resort atYou will be fine in the Dominican Republic, The only problem I can possibly forsee for you and your family is overspending on something from a vendor,this happens in any tourist destination. night?At night I would suggest using a taxi from whatever resort you choose to use, you will enjoy fine restaurants a short ride from Puerto plata in Caberete right on the beach or in Sosua I'm traveling with my husband, one pre-teen & two teens. We like white sandy beaches, with blue water & I'm reading that I can only find that in other areas, not in Puerto Plata, which I don't get. We're not that hard to please, I swear! I just want to be sure my children will be safe, nobody will get sick from eating food or water & I'm not going to find bugs/roaches in my room. I don't think that's too much to ask for, right? It seems most people only post things when they want to complain instead of posting the 'good'. (not on this forum)
Thank you in advance!! :)
CTMom

Put your mind to rest, you made a very good decision to come to this fine Island. The resorts on the north coast are all really clean and have for the most part decent food. Enjoy your vacation.

CTMom

Oct 19, 2009
Thank you so much for your reply. I truly appreciate you taking the time to answer me. We are looking forward to our vacation. Now I just need to find a place to stay! :)

May 24, 2009
www.swellsurfcamp.com
CTMom, stay in Cabarete (25 mins from the airport). There's a whole load of hotels to suit all budgets - it's safe and family friendly with a nice beach and restaurants lining the bay + a few good places to eat off the beach. Perhaps you can tell the forum what you want to spend on the hotel and they can make some suggestions; there's a lot of choice.

CTMom

Oct 19, 2009
Thank you SSCC...I had read that the water was rough in that area and that it is very windy, so I thought it wouldn't be a good place to stay, but I have absolutely no idea, just from things I read. It seems like a great area, and I saw some places there I liked a lot, not AI, which is our preference. I was given a rate at Casa Colonial from $600-$900 a night plus 26%, and that is a lot more then we would like to spend. I guess it's more because we are five people. I would pay up to $350 or so a night but would rather pay less. We are food lovers, my in-laws are chefs & my husband is an awesome cook, so meals are going to be important for us, that's why I know we wouldn't like an AI type place. :)

May 24, 2009
www.swellsurfcamp.com
The water can get a little rougher in the afternoons, but generally it is like a millpond until 1 or 2pm.

I suggest that you guys rent an apartment in Ocean Dream or Ocean One or Harmony - a 3 bed place in OD for example will cost you more or less 2000 USD for the week and these are very nice places just a few metres from the beach.

Here are a couple of suggestions for checking prices; Casa's De Claire: Oceanfront Rentals in Cabarete, Dominican Republic (not me by the way) and SeaLane luxury condos. http://www.oceandreamcabarete.com/oceandream-oceanfront-residence.html

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Is it a safe place to go to?
What do you think is the best resort, with the best food & it doesn't have to be All inclusive as we like to go to restaurants, although I'm thinking maybe we can't leave the resort at night?
We like white sandy beaches, with blue water & I'm reading that I can only find that in other areas, not in Puerto Plata, which I don't get. We're not that hard to please, I swear! I just want to be sure my children will be safe, nobody will get sick from eating food or water & I'm not going to find bugs/roaches in my room. I don't think that's too much to ask for, right?

DR is as safe as any holiday destination so i would not not worry about that.
cabarete is a nice choice because there is a young crowd there and you could have your teens try windsurfing, kite surfing and other water sports. not so boring.
other than that in POP itself you have playa dorada complex with many different hotels plus some restaurants. the best hotel is indeed casa colonial but you can drop there for dinner too. very expensive (25-30 dollars for a main course) but the food is great. there are some more nice places in the city itself.
you can leave your hotel at any time and take taxi into town, both in cabarete and playa dorada. ask at reception about taxi prices.
no white sand on the north coast, it is true but we have many beautiful beaches too.
both cabarete and playa dorada complex will also offer you choices of trips - from diving and horse riding to natural parks.
as for getting sick from food and water: not very likely. if you want to eat in town we can recommend clean and good restaurants.
cucarachas - in DR we have a flying cucaracha, as big as a zippo lighter. you may see one of those, they fly through open windows - just smack them with a shoe. :)

CTMom

Oct 19, 2009
Hee hee...smack them with a shoe...ewww!! :p
Thank you for your recommendations. Everyone has been so helpful, I appreciate the responses both on here and in private messages. Please keep it coming. I would LOVE some restaurant recommendations. We will definitely eat at Casa Colonial since I won't be staying there. Wish they would lower their prices, lol!!

mrdifficult

Mar 6, 2009
I am planning my third trip to the dominican republic in April 2010 and would like some advice on lodging. During the 1st and 2nd trip i came down with 4 of my friends and we stayed at the Sousa Bay Resort. We enjoyed our stay; however, as you may already know guests are not allowed unless you pay. So, a lot of people have been telling me to rent a villa or condo. Can anyone suggest a villa or condo that's on the beach, between Sosua and Cabarete, can accomodate 6 people and that's in the center of the nightlife (bars & restaurants).
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.