Duty-exemption househould goods returning dominican citizen

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Hello all,

I have been reading through a lot of posts about the import tax on household goods when moving but couldn't find the information I am looking for.

My wife (dominican) and I are planning our return to the Dominican Republic after living for 4,5 years in Europe. Actually we are planning to move end of this year.

According to one thread i read here the import of household goods is exempt for a dominican (once in a lifetime) after living for 5 years abroad. However our moving company says this is after 2 years, and one dominican moving company (International Packers) says the same. I looked up Ley14-93 on Direcci?n General de Aduanas - DGA and found there 2 years as well. However, my wife called the dominican consulate in my country and they said 5 years.

If it s really 5 years, maybe we should wait half a year (however I found a job and what are the chances it's still there in half a year.

Anyone here that has the final answer.......?

thanks,

Mauricio

Sep 22, 2009
Hello all,

I have been reading through a lot of posts about the import tax on household goods when moving but couldn't find the information I am looking for.

My wife (dominican) and I are planning our return to the Dominican Republic after living for 4,5 years in Europe. Actually we are planning to move end of this year.

According to one thread i read here the import of household goods is exempt for a dominican (once in a lifetime) after living for 5 years abroad. However our moving company says this is after 2 years, and one dominican moving company (International Packers) says the same. I looked up Ley14-93 on Direcci?n General de Aduanas - DGA and found there 2 years as well. However, my wife called the dominican consulate in my country and they said 5 years.

If it s really 5 years, maybe we should wait half a year (however I found a job and what are the chances it's still there in half a year.

Anyone here that has the final answer.......?

thanks,

Mauricio

Prepare for the worst - Hope for the best.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
It's two years:

Art. 13 of Law 146-00, amending Law #14-93

d) Las importaciones de efectos personales y del hogar, pertenecientes a extranjeros que vengan a residir definitivamenteen el pa?s, y de los dominicanos que hayan residido en el exterior por un per?odo de dos (2) a?os consecutivos y regresen a establecer su residencia definitiva en el pa?s, siempre que no se les haya concedido anteriormente este privilegio. Asimismo, las importaciones de libros para uso personal de dominicanos que regresen definitivamente tras realizar estudios en otros pa?ses

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Thanks a lot! That's good to hear.

My wife actually called the consulate again this afternoon, telling them that 14-93 says 2 years, the guy said: oh if it says that then it's 2. When my wife asked: but why did you say 5 years then? The answer was: oh last month there was a couple here moving back and they said it was 5 years :paranoid:

gr. Mauricio