27 Charcos

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinyt

Oct 20, 2009
I'm going to be going to 27 Charcos and we want to do all 27 waterfalls. From the website it looks like I can go on my own in the morning, but I know you need a guide. How do I book this or does anybody know if the guides leave at a certain time everyday for the full tour?

I also see you can hire igauna mamma tour company but they only have tours on Sat. and Tues. Unfortunately I can't make those days.

Any advice will be appreciative.

Thanks

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Hummmmm all I have to say is be careful. Experienced swimmers have drowned there. Do a google search and read on. If you see there are rainy conditions it's not a favorable condition as water comes in unexpectedly from the mountains.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
I'm going to be going to 27 Charcos and we want to do all 27 waterfalls. From the website it looks like I can go on my own in the morning, but I know you need a guide. How do I book this or does anybody know if the guides leave at a certain time everyday for the full tour?

I also see you can hire igauna mamma tour company but they only have tours on Sat. and Tues. Unfortunately I can't make those days.

Thanks

My daughter and her friends did this, you just go there and hire the guide but if you cannot easily cross the river at the bottom do not go! the rains make them very dangerous. There are other tour companies so just check further for tours, you can also check at your hotel when you arrive and arrange a tour very easily.

Last edited:

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com

Thanks

Two things:

1. Be very careful as even experienced swimmers have perished there;
2. Hire a guide to take you;

Also, if you do all 27 you will be one super tired dude. Even those in excellent shape get the stuffings knocked out of them on this 'excursion'.

But it is gorgeous and a TON OF FUN!

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Agree with all the above....except that there is no need to pay a tour company an outrageous amount of money.

Hope on the bus (ask for Javila bus). You should pay about RD$40. Ask the driver to let you off at 27 Charcos and walk down the gravel road. If I recall we paid about RD$500 for the guide and the first 7 falls...may be a higher fee to do all 27 I would imagine.

Again, PLEASE heed all the advice re your safety and the rain.

Enjoy, its beautfiul.

May 8, 2009
just there yesterday

We just did the falls yesterday. Currently the water level is VERY low.. In fact the guide suggested not sliding down some of the falls because the landing would be in water that was pretty shallow.

tinyt

Oct 20, 2009
Coastline construction -

How many falls were you able to climb? We're going in December which is considered one of the two rainy seasons so not sure we will be able to do it if it rains too much.

Also, did you do it through a tour or just go to the place and pay their tourguides?

Tinyt

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Remember to worry about rain in the mountains, folks. It's that stuff that will drown you. If it's raining way back in the hills and you are enjoying a sunny day in the waterfalls you are risking a lot.

Always, and I mean always, keep a close eye on the water level in any river or waterfall area fed by a nearby set of mountains. If it looks like it rising a little bit get the heck outta there because a major water 'bubble' is coming at you. Don't guess, move!

Reactions: Lucille
Status
Not open for further replies.