Fullers Earth Cream in the DR?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Has anyone come across Fullers Earth Cream in the DR? This is an old remedy used for absorbing impurities, the cream version comes as a thick grey cream the ingredients of which are:
Kaolin heavy BP 20.76% w/w, zinc oxide BP 4.5% w/w, arachis oil (peanut oil), yellow beeswax (E901), light liquid paraffin, hard paraffin, wool alcohols (from lanolin) and yellow petroleum jelly

My search here has so far produced blank looks. I was asked what it is used for and stupidly said nappy rash :cheeky: whereupon the farmacia produced Desitin which is a completely different substance (white, liquidy not thick cream with the main ingredient being zinc oxide 40% plus various inactive ingredients: BHA - Butylated hydroxyanisole, which is a fat preservative -, Cod Liver Oil, Fragrance, Lanolin, Methylparaben, Petrolatum, Talc, Water).

Failing all else I suppose I could look for the main powder ingredient - clay - but there seem to be conflicting views as to whether this is a hydrated aluminum silicate like Sodium Bentonite
Hydrated Sodium Bentonite | Edible Clay Research

or Calcium Montmorillonite
History of Fuller's Earth, About Fullers Earth - HRP Industries, India

So, my questions to chemists here or anyone else who knows are: does Fullers Earth Cream exist in the DR, is it presented in a different way, what is it called and where might I find it?

Thank you for reading this.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
You probably know this, Fullers earth cream is widely available on the internet in 60g size. It is also quite inexpensive. It also appears that it is marketed by several companies including Avon for $5.50
I don't think any Pharmacy here will understand.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
i have found the best thing for removing impurities is a hot piece of banana skin.

Take one platano. Peel it. Heat skin in gas flame on cooker. Place on affected site for as long as can stand heat. Repeat.

Works wonders and is a campo remedy.

matilda

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Well I actually used a rulo but I think Plantains would work as well. Must be green though and not maduro

If that works that would be the first I like about rulos...Love Bananas and Plantains, but never cared for Rulos.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Has anyone come across Fullers Earth Cream in the DR? This is an old remedy used for absorbing impurities, the cream version comes as a thick grey cream the ingredients of which are:
Kaolin heavy BP 20.76% w/w, zinc oxide BP 4.5% w/w, arachis oil (peanut oil), yellow beeswax (E901), light liquid paraffin, hard paraffin, wool alcohols (from lanolin) and yellow petroleum jelly

My search here has so far produced blank looks. I was asked what it is used for and stupidly said nappy rash :cheeky: whereupon the farmacia produced Desitin which is a completely different substance (white, liquidy not thick cream with the main ingredient being zinc oxide 40% plus various inactive ingredients: BHA - Butylated hydroxyanisole, which is a fat preservative -, Cod Liver Oil, Fragrance, Lanolin, Methylparaben, Petrolatum, Talc, Water).

Failing all else I suppose I could look for the main powder ingredient - clay - but there seem to be conflicting views as to whether this is a hydrated aluminum silicate like Sodium Bentonite
Hydrated Sodium Bentonite | Edible Clay Research

or Calcium Montmorillonite
History of Fuller's Earth, About Fullers Earth - HRP Industries, India

So, my questions to chemists here or anyone else who knows are: does Fullers Earth Cream exist in the DR, is it presented in a different way, what is it called and where might I find it?

Thank you for reading this.

I have sent an email to our very helpful and knowledgeable pharmacist in Cabarete and will let you know when I receive a reply as to whether she knows of a source or a suitable alternative.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Thank you, whirley, that was most helpful of you. And thank you to the others for the suggestions including the person who very kindly mailed me to see if his wife could pick up some in US. I'll tell you now what I use it for - as a lip salve. I don't wear lipstick & it is by far the most effective remedy I have found for dry lips. Better by far than all the Body Shop lip balms, & other brand gels, salves etc. I didn't mention that earlier because I didn't want people to waste their time looking up other lip salves etc. So..........I really would like to locate a source here in the DR - we'll see what whirley's pharmacist comes up with.

I can believe your banana skin remedy for impurities, Matilda. For those old enough to remember Donovan's song back in the '60's Mellow Yellow.........;) not sure if your body would feel cleansed or you would feel so high that it wouldn't matter anyway............
The Psychedelic Properties of Banana Peel: an Appraisal A. D. KRIKORIAN
Full article in Economic Botany Volume 22, Number 4 October, 1968.

aross

Nov 15, 2007
..... I'll tell you now what I use it for - as a lip salve. I don't wear lipstick & it is by far the most effective remedy I have found for dry lips.

Gosh, I thought it was going to be used to try and make Grahame look handsome so that is why you are trying to find a supplier that carries it in gallon jugs.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Thank you, whirley, that was most helpful of you. And thank you to the others for the suggestions including the person who very kindly mailed me to see if his wife could pick up some in US. I'll tell you now what I use it for - as a lip salve. I don't wear lipstick & it is by far the most effective remedy I have found for dry lips. Better by far than all the Body Shop lip balms, & other brand gels, salves etc. I didn't mention that earlier because I didn't want people to waste their time looking up other lip salves etc. So..........I really would like to locate a source here in the DR - we'll see what whirley's pharmacist comes up with.

This was Bruni's reply at 6.31 pm:

"about the cream you are asking me for, it is a little difficult to get some like that here with the same ingredients, for example you can get most of the components but in the different way or presentation not together, but maybe in a drugstore called FARMACIA NORMAL IN SANTIAGO they can do it for you, maybe I'm not 100% sure.. I will get the number for them tomorrow and will let you know what it is"

I will forward the telephone number to you as soon as she sends it to me.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
The telephone number for Farmacia Normal in Santiago is 809 471 7111 and Bruni tells me that the Doctor there may well make up the cream for you if you give her the relevant ingredients. Hope they can help and I would like to be able to pass on a success story to Bruni at We-Cares Farmacia in Cabarete as she is so knowledgeable and helpful always.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Lambada: I know the Farmacia Normal quite well. Let me know if I can do something for you.

HB

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
The Farmacia Normal receptionist was most helpful. They don't have it in stock but I got her to put me through to the pharmacist, Carina, who said it might be possible to make it up but she understandably didn't want to take the ingredients over the phone in case of error. Hillbilly, can I now call on your assistance? Will PM you the ingredients and when you are next in the vicinity perhaps you could call in and see the pharmacist? Many thanks.