Passive Dominicans

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
I live in Martin Alonzo three days ago the fuse exploded on the transformer in the road in front of my house this transformer does over 21 houses. I had my wife call Edenorte and tell them that the fuse had blown. They called back wanting to know every bid of information except the birthday of my first-born. Said they would do something this was early in the morning well nothing happen next day they came out looked at it and left. When my wife called again they said they would do something. As of right now we are still without electricity. After saying this out of 21 houses we are the only one that called and there are three carmadas on that same transformer. None of the group wants to cause trouble.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I live in Martin Alonzo three days ago the fuse exploded on the transformer in the road in front of my house this transformer does over 21 houses. I had my wife call Edenorte and tell them that the fuse had blown. They called back wanting to know every bid of information except the birthday of my first-born. Said they would do something this was early in the morning well nothing happen next day they came out looked at it and left. When my wife called again they said they would do something. As of right now we are still without electricity. After saying this out of 21 houses we are the only one that called and there are three carmadas on that same transformer. None of the group wants to cause trouble.

carmada??? Maybe you mean colmado. As far as not wanting to "cause trouble", the only reason they wouldn't want to do that is if they are stealing power, a very common thing here of course.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I see your problem, from a previous post it appears you have no meters in your village and you didnt like the 200 peso per month charge, maybe this explains the reluctance to rush into restoring the power- they probably save money while it is off.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
go solar

In the village of Martin Alonzo the prices of electricity just went crazy. They get electricity about 10 hours a day if lucky and They just raised the price 550% on some people. There is a neighbor of mine that has 4 light bulbs and a fridge they where getting charged 200 pesos per month and now they want 1,100 pesos this is not the only person the whole community is being over charged. Most of the families in that small community only have the basic to live on. Edenorte should be ashamed of themselves for ripping off the poor.

This is also what the OP said about his village. Lots of months in SD, my electric bill is 1100 pesos, complete with fridge, tv, lights, computer, internet, and all those little lights that seem to stay on all the time........ So indeed it does seem that there is a problem here in the Campo.

Where is this village?

I know that there were a couple of NGO projects near the border that were getting solar panels on houses where were very basic. OK, so perhaps you could not run a fridge on them, but you could certainly run your lights and perhaps share a fridge. The panels cost 5000 pesos which of course was also a lot for the campesinos...

I saw one guy in Haiti that had a small panel set up in his village, a lakou, it is called there, where there was NO electricity. So he had a small solar panel from which he ran a system of charging cell phones. He could charge 10 at a time. From this, his cousin lived, and he paid rent to his uncle, and had already paid the entire cost of the solar panel.

There is business to be had here in solar panels.+

Feb 7, 2007
As far as not wanting to "cause trouble", the only reason they wouldn't want to do that is if they are stealing power, a very common thing here of course.

I would suppose so as well... here in this "barrio" where I live, is middle to upper middle class, we have officially 24/7 power (sometimes less, but officially 24/7), when the power goes out, and I call let's say 30 minutes after that, many times there are already reports of the outage from this zone... sometimes several people call within very few minutes. So if 21 houses just "stay put" there's something wrong with them (or their meters).

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
carmada??? Maybe you mean colmado. As far as not wanting to "cause trouble", the only reason they wouldn't want to do that is if they are stealing power, a very common thing here of course.

Your right i meant colmados this is the campo they don't have meters and most are being charged 500 pesos for the basics like 1 light bulb or maybe a fridge and only 10 per day. You don't need to steal power if your not on a meter.
They finally came late last night to put in the fuse.

Martin Alonzo is about 5 miles from Luperon

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Your right i meant colmados this is the campo they don't have meters and most are being charged 500 pesos for the basics like 1 light bulb or maybe a fridge and only 10 per day. You don't need to steal power if your not on a meter. They finally came late last night to put in the fuse.

Martin Alonzo is about 5 miles from Luperon

...assuming that people are paying that.

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
The fuse lasted 24 hours and we are without power as I am writing this. They will cut off the persons that don't pay rightfully but they should service the people that do.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
so you are probably going to be without power for the weekend. in a poor neighborhood, in SD, if it was only a fuse one of the locals would be up the pole putting in a jumper. i saw a guy once, barefoot on a roof, throw a wire on to a live one, it took a couple of attempts, lots of sparks, but when done just right the wires welded together on their own and we had lights.......another time i lived near the top of a hill in las palmas de herrera, SD, the roof provided a great view of the beehive all around and on a friday night sitting up there drinking it was inevitable that you'd get to see a transformer blow up and then a certain section would go dark.