Canadian PR question and Ontario red tape!!

drbabe

Jul 29, 2009
I have two different questions....

How many of you who have successfully sponsored a spouse to Canada submitted any reference letters or character appraisals with your application?
How many and from whom were they?

So my next question...how to bypass stupidity and red tape?
In my experience, 99% of Ltin American people have both their mother and fathers' last names...yes, you and I know that.
So I finally go out to a Service Ontario Centre to change my name and try to explain to the miserable womam behind the counter that I will only assume my husbands "first last name", that being his fathers.
She proceeds to call a supervisor, who may I mention had an equally low IQ. She said she could change it free of charge to both last names and then I could do a legal name change for $130!!! Do these people ever quit scamming us?? And did I mention this would take 8 weeks??

If anyone has successfully assumed their husabnds first last name in Ontario at no charge, please tell me where and how, thank you!

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Congratulations! Wish you many years of happiness.

Regarding the name change, why not try the Driver's Licence bureau and see what they say. Maybe they have a different interpretation of surname... I doubt it. It's the government of Ontario's definition of surname and double surname that matters.

If you were to create a double surname from your surname and his with or without a hyphen, I think they would let you drop the last component. This is how it's done in other jurisdictions (SASK).

Regarding fees, yes, assuming a spouse's surname is free, creating a double surname from yours and his is free. (Reverting back is free also.) A change of name however is another process. 6-8 weeks is the standard time for all bureaucratic applications. Don't change you name legally.

Your father's name... his father's name... down with the patriarchy. ;) I like drbabe better. Ms. Drbabe

viajar

Feb 19, 2009
Hi Drbabe

Answering your first question we sent in two letters of recommendation.
As for the second we did not change any names in order not to delay the immigration process.

Good luck with your application

Johana

May 24, 2006
Drbabe,
I also had no luck with taking just one last name. According to the MTO their legal last name is both names therefore to assume their name you get both even after I explained that only his sister would have the same 2 last names. And yes just to take one name you would have to legally change it.

Jo-Anne

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
It is nearly impossible to get around this in Ontario.

If you happen to be lucky and get someone at the drivers licence office to change your name to 1 last name then the health card office should follow suit.

I called to the Registrars office to get the final word after speaking with both the ministry of transportation and the ministry of health.

Everyone said the same thing you were told....you can legally change your name including your birth certificate or you can assume both of your spouses last names as they appear on your marriage certificate.

What's interesting is that when you have a child you can give them any name you want as long as you check off the box that says its for cultural or religious reasons.....I think we should have the same option when it comes to marital name changes but our government isn't in agreement right now.

My only suggestion would be to try a different MTO location and see if you can sweet talk them into doing it...otherwise you will be stuck with 2 names like the rest of us.

I only have 2 names on my official documents and don't use both in everyday situations, work etc. Its hard enough to spell 1 of my 2 last names let alone deal with both.

Good Luck!
Sangria

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
In regards to Margarets suggestion about hyphenating and dropping 1 of the names.

Here is the response I got to asking that question..(Ontario Canada)

Your 3 options are:

1) Keeping your own last name

2) Hyphenating your last name with you spouses last name (exactly as it appears on the marriage certificate) = 3 LAST NAMES

3) Assume your spouses name (exactly as it appears on the marriage certificate) = 2 LAST NAMES

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
Our son has both my husbands and my last name... they never questioned it... i just recently went and got my drivers lisense changed to my husbands last name... paid the $10 or whatever it is and that's it... next it's health card and passport...

why would you go to service ontario first ???

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
la_barbie,

Service Ontario is now in charge of driver's licences, health cards, marriage licences, birth certificates, sin numbers etc.

If you have a question about anything that has to do with the above or a major life event (birth, marriage, death etc.), Service Ontario is where you are directed.

XXKWISIT

Apr 15, 2007
Hey,
I was successful in assuming only the first last name. I did my driver's license first (just at one of the small kiosks), then I did my credit cards with my drivers license as proof, then my bank card and mortgage and finally my health card. When I went to change my passport, they didn't even want the marriage certificate, all they wanted was my new driver's license. There was no charge for any of this.
Hope this helps.

CAT

I haven't changed my sin card, yet, but I know have to go to services can. I will let you know how that goes, when I get around to it.

Last edited:

drbabe

Jul 29, 2009
Hey,
I was successful in assuming only the first last name. I did my driver's license first (just at one of the small kiosks), then I did my credit cards with my drivers license as proof, then my bank card and mortgage and finally my health card. When I went to change my passport, they didn't even want the marriage certificate, all they wanted was my new driver's license. There was no charge for any of this.
Hope this helps.

CAT

I haven't changed my sin card, yet, but I know have to go to services can. I will let you know how that goes, when I get around to it.

Wow, would you like to tell us all which location you went to to successfully get one last name:cheeky:??

XXKWISIT

Apr 15, 2007
heh, i guess I should have mentioned that. sorry.

It was at the driver's license office in Barrie, on Burton Ave. It's a small plce and the lady looked at the certificate, asked me my new last name and wrote it down. It took all of 5 minutes. No charge.

CAT

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Cat,

You are very lucky!!! So much less confusion to have to deal with on a daily basis!!

DRBABE....good luck!!

XXKWISIT

Apr 15, 2007
Sangria,

I just realized how lucky I am! I couldn't imagine explaining to people how to pronounce my husband's second last name. lol

CAT

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
I was able to change my last name and only assume my husband's first name. Here was the scenario:

My husband has three names - FIRST LAST (Father) LAST (Mother)

Before changing my name I also had three names - FIRST MIDDLE LAST

I went to change my health card first and kept all three of my names and just added my husband's first last name (the one of his father). I did not hypenate my last names. Therefore, my name is now as follows:

FIRST MIDDLE LAST (maiden) LAST (husband's father)

I remember I either had to show my marriage certificate or my husband's birth certificate (can't remember) (originals or at least a certified copy). It was not hassle at all. I told them I did not want it hypenated with my name and I explained that in the DR people only assume their husband's name. I guess I was lucky. After that I changed my driver's license and then my passport.

The location I went to change my health card was in a little strip plaza on the east side of Keele Street, just south of either Steeles or Finch. I changed my driver's license downtown at the location that used to be in a business building on Victoria Street. That office has now moved about two blocks south but it is still on Victoria Street. I changed my passport at the Toronto passport office on Victoria Street.

It might help if you change things like your utility bills, bank cards, etc. first because they likely don't get all technical on you and would be less likely to ask for proof. Then take a utility bill with your new name to the Service Ontario location when trying to change your name and say you've already assumed your husband's name and this is how is should look... Good luck!

As an aside, I did not do my name change stuff until long after I sent my husband's papers in for processing because I didn't want to waste time in sending them off. Also, in Canada not everyone changes their name to their spouse's name anyway so I didn't think it would make any difference and it was a non-issue with my husband's sponsorship application.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
As an aside, I did not do my name change stuff until long after I sent my husband's papers in for processing because I didn't want to waste time in sending them off. Also, in Canada not everyone changes their name to their spouse's name anyway so I didn't think it would make any difference and it was a non-issue with my husband's sponsorship application.

Thanks for the info FM I was about to ask you that question. Seems it's best to leave the name changing till later to avoid confusion.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
The location I went to change my health card was in a little strip plaza on the east side of Keele Street, just south of either Steeles or Finch.

Sorry... just realized I gave the wrong directions for where I changed my health card. I thought I just said the wrong side of the street but I even said the wrong street! Sorry.

Here is the correct address and hours:

Unit 4A, 4400 Dufferin Street North (on west side just sound of Finch)
Toronto

Hours:
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday,Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Closed on public holidays.

XXKWISIT

Apr 15, 2007
Hello again,

I, as well, waited until all the paper were sent off, until I started changing my name. I will send CIC in Haiti a copy of my new passport, license, health card, ontario gov't work ID and benefits card once my hubby gets his new CEDULA. It wasn't worth it to delay the application any longer.

CAT

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
I will send CIC in Haiti a copy of my new passport, license, health card, ontario gov't work ID and benefits card once my hubby gets his new CEDULA.

Why would you do that? Once you send in your application you don't need to send them your name change documentation. I changed my name a couple of months after we got married, while my husband's papers were being processed, and I never sent Haiti anything indicating to them that I had changed my name. That's just my opinion but I don't think it's necessary, it's too much hassle and it may even confuse things. To me, I would think whether or not you change your name is irrelevant to proving whether the relationship is legit (especially since you are the Canadian and it's usually the Domincan's intentions they want to really figure out).

kacy

Feb 3, 2008
I sent them my change of name information as well after we were in process. No idea whether it helps but it definatley didn't hurt anything or confuse anything. If anything when i sent them the update they responded with an email indicating a letter that we had never received requesting an interview so it sped things up. It does show to some extent the combining of affairs which is one of the things you should be able to demonstrate and i seem to remember someone on the forum saying she'd been questioned as to why she didn't change her name.... either way - its up to each person.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Yes, of course if it makes one feel more comfortable or "safer" about their process then everyone should do what they want. I just was thinking that if someone is having a hard time getting the name change thing done and it's holding up their sending in the paperwork, it may not be worth the hassle to do it and it adds stress. I suppose it doesn't hurt as long as the documents get there and get placed with the file without problem.

I just want to add that it seems ridiculous that the immigration people making the decisions on these applications can actually expect that two people living in two different countries (not by choice) could completely combine their affairs until they are able to live together and build their life together.