Canadian Missionary Arrested At Casa Marina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Reading the account of the guy, it seems that he was Dr.Jeckel and Hyde, doing some really great things and some really bad things.

HB

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
What a sad situation, If it is really true. Lets just remember the old innocent untill proven guilty theory. How do we know that this guy was not just being accused of these terrible acts by very poor familys trying to blackmail him for some big Canadian dollars. Why do we always automaticially convict people based on a newspaper article.Hey I still think Michael Jackson was innocent.;)
And if he is guilty, he is not only sick but very stupid. In a poor place like Haiti he would have no problem finding some willing young men over 18 for his perverted activities for a little amount of money.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
And if he is guilty, he is not only sick but very stupid. In a poor place like Haiti he would have no problem finding some willing young men over 18 for his perverted activities for a little amount of money.

Point of order!!!
I agree that it is wrong to brand this guy guilty before he has been tried.
I like reading your posts as you seem like a cool guy - so please clarify the following. (You might want to re-think your second paragraph.)
You think that homosexual sex with men over 18 is perverted? That is what you wrote - please correct me if I am wrong.

And yup, he sure would find willing men.
However, some people like to have sex with children, regardless of their sexuality.
Is there a distinction between a heterosexual pedophile and a homosexual pedophile other than sexuality?
For me - no.
I think that having sex with children is wrong - whatever their gender.

Last edited:

Trig

Aug 20, 2006
What I don't understand is that supposedly the crimes are committed in Haiti then why is there a warrant from Canada?
Can somebody enlighten me on this?

If you travel and have sex with a minor, you can be charged and prosecuted by your country. At least here in the U.S. and I'm pretty sure Canada also.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
deserves pulitzer for nipple ring reporting...

"Duarte, his close-cropped hair dyed a brassy blonde at one time and sporting tattoos and a nipple ring, worked tirelessly for the poor in Haiti, according to charity workers."

I was surprised to encounter this apparently key detail in the Windsor paper and not the DR one. :ermm: Is this their subtle way of trying to say they think he is GAY, because they know they can't say it outright?

He might be a child-molester, but maybe not. Let him have his day in court, and remember that people shouldn't be considered guilty until proven innocent, it's the other way around.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
What I don't understand is that supposedly the crimes are committed in Haiti then why is there a warrant from Canada?
Can somebody enlighten me on this?

According to this article (no nipple rings!) it was the Canadian organisation he worked for & co-founded, Hearts Together for Haiti, which received the original complaint, investigated, reported to the police in Canada and accepted his resignation.
CBC News - Windsor - Ex-Windsor priest arrested for sex abuse in Haiti

So clearly they behaved in a responsible fashion and it is to be hoped don't suffer too much damage now, a couple of years after the event, when their work still continues. I noticed their website is currently closed for maintenance, apart from a front page. There also appear to be several other completely separate organisations with remarkably similar names: there's a heartsforhaiti.org from Indiana, a Hearts4haiti.com from California, a heartsforhaiti.net from Ohio and a heartswithhaiti.org from Raleigh. I won't post links because I have no idea what these organisations are like, but a google search will quickly uncover their websites. One wonders if any of this will impact on them also.

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Point of order!!!
I agree that it is wrong to brand this guy guilty before he has been tried.
I like reading your posts as you seem like a cool guy - so please clarify the following. (You might want to re-think your second paragraph.)
You think that homosexual sex with men over 18 is perverted? That is what you wrote - please correct me if I am wrong.

And yup, he sure would find willing men.
However, some people like to have sex with children, regardless of their sexuality.
Is there a distinction between a heterosexual pedophile and a homosexual pedophile other than sexuality?
For me - no.
I think that having sex with children is wrong - whatever their gender.
NO, NO, pedro, I could care less if men choose to have sex with men, that does not bother me one bit, it just is not my choice. What I meant about perverted activities was that this man could find other adult men to replace the sick and perverted stuff that he is accused of doing with those minor children..He is not a gay man, he is sick and perverted if the accusations are true.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Look, I knew the guy back from when he was a Catholic priest in Haiti...

He is mostly a good guy, but for once, let me state that he is guilty as charged of pedophilia, and this is an inexcusable behavior...

As the leader of Hearts together for Haiti in the Labadie area, Father John was exceptionally efficient. He helped a lot of folks, created schools & "dispensaires", everybody liked him...

But no one is blind, first off, the guy is gay, which is ok if you are not a Catholic priest, but you can't be both according to the rules, right ?

Second, as much as people in Labadie liked John, they couldn't give him the liberty to go on with his vice. So he got kicked out...

He then resurfaced in Sosua, as a diving instructor...

It is really too bad this guy couldn't keep his vice under control, as he is a very smart man, very gifted, big potential to do good things...

But he simply couldn't keep his willy in his boxer shorts, and now his picture is all over the media as a child-molester... I am so sorry for his family, whom I met once...

That said, I get to wonder how the Catholic hierarchy works out, since it is well known that they were aware since the start, (mid 90's) of that child-molesting pulsions...

John, if ever you get to read those lines, I am sorry for all that... I just wish you could have behaved differently... Everyone in Labadie enjoyed your company, but we simply can't turn a blind eye on ugly behavior...

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
more from Cap Haitian

This is the second case about such behavior in Cap Haitian... the first one was Doug Perlitz who was extradited and indicted in CT, ... once was the commencement speaker at Fairfield University, a prominent Catholic University, and has a great deal of money behind his defense.....

Here is one very sad commentary on some of the swarmy tactics being used
Haitian Times - Classifieds, News, Business, and Events

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
He is mostly a good guy, but for once, let me state that he is guilty as charged of pedophilia, and this is an inexcusable behavior...

It is really too bad this guy couldn't keep his vice under control, as he is a very smart man, very gifted

Whilst I respect your "inside knowledge" and dont discredit it, I find it hard to imagine the "good" qualities you describe as going hand-in hand with anyone disturbed enough to carry out the acts of which he is accused. (yes, innocent until proven guilty but usually, where there is smoke, there is fire).

Status
Not open for further replies.