and i thought i'd heard every excuse already....

Jun 15, 2008
but this one is just plain ridiculous...

so here's my story..

went to pick up my kid from school, at 12 noon, as always. when i get there i see that the school is empty, and my 5-year-old is the only kid left there, sitting on the stairs. i go to look for the director, ask him what happened. he says: "we let the kids go at 11 because (here comes the part that left me speechless for a second...) IT RAINED YESTERDAY..." yesterday!! imagine not going to work and telling your boss u didn't show up because it rained yesterday...
i mean WTF!

so i ask them why didn't anybody call me and let me know, and guess what the director answers... he said: "you should know when u see kids in uniforms passing by your house." i mean, come on! that means that every time i take my kid to school, i have to stand on the balcony for 4 hours just in case, to see if kids in uniform pass by! incredible...

isn't it enough that they only study 3-4 hours a day? what kind of ?o?eria are they teaching those kids? they'll invent stuff to close the school sometimes (often...), like when it rains, even a little bit, which i find so funny (and sad at the same time). i'm sure i'm not the only one on DR1 who remembers walking to school with snow up to my waist (and more falling from the sky), at temperatures way below zero. but Dominicans say "la lluvia les da gripe..."

oh well.... just wanted to share my pique with u guyz...

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
OOOooooooooooooohhhhh I cant tell you how many times i have heard the rain being used as an excuse for just about everything!!

We had a special practice session yesterday and because it rained at 8am nobody turned up for practise until 5.30pm?!?!?!?! As i have heard so many times its because they will get a cold, I always ask them how they get on with showering twice a day in cold water and not getting a cold...but that of course is different ha ha!

Dont you know that Domincans are made of sugar???? ;)

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Are your kids in public school because it sounds exactly like the school my step kids go to? They normally have Fridays off too because the teachers have "something important" to do.
My daughter goes to the international school and they don't have that BS.

so here's my story..

went to pick up my kid from school, at 12 noon, as always. when i get there i see that the school is empty, and my 5-year-old is the only kid left there, sitting on the stairs. i go to look for the director, ask him what happened. he says: "we let the kids go at 11 because (here comes the part that left me speechless for a second...) IT RAINED YESTERDAY..." yesterday!! imagine not going to work and telling your boss u didn't show up because it rained yesterday...
i mean WTF!

so i ask them why didn't anybody call me and let me know, and guess what the director answers... he said: "you should know when u see kids in uniforms passing by your house." i mean, come on! that means that every time i take my kid to school, i have to stand on the balcony for 4 hours just in case, to see if kids in uniform pass by! incredible...

isn't it enough that they only study 3-4 hours a day? what kind of ?o?eria are they teaching those kids? they'll invent stuff to close the school sometimes (often...), like when it rains, even a little bit, which i find so funny (and sad at the same time). i'm sure i'm not the only one on DR1 who remembers walking to school with snow up to my waist (and more falling from the sky), at temperatures way below zero. but Dominicans say "la lluvia les da gripe..."

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com

so here's my story..

i mean WTF!

I get a pique just reading this!
I'd had a very, but very hard time to contain myself and not invite that "Director" to come "see" something behind the building where nobody could see us for a minute or two. :eek:gre:

Being vago is one thing, but letting a child sit there unattended for hours is unacceptable. I would pursue any and every options to make this idiots life miserable... very miserable. A school should be off limits to irresponsible idiots like the guy you described.
Does the school have a PTA?

... J-D.

gonzaloque

Feb 14, 2005
With all due respect... if your kids are in a public school in the DR you might as well keep them home and sit them in front of a TV set. They will learn more and at least be in a safe, nurturing environment. Kindly spring for a private school, even a low-cost one, right away.

Jun 15, 2008
OOOooooooooooooohhhhh I cant tell you how many times i have heard the rain being used as an excuse for just about everything!!

We had a special practice session yesterday and because it rained at 8am nobody turned up for practise until 5.30pm?!?!?!?! As i have heard so many times its because they will get a cold, I always ask them how they get on with showering twice a day in cold water and not getting a cold...but that of course is different ha ha!

Dont you know that Domincans are made of sugar???? ;)

LOL yea, they definitely are made of sugar... and i'm already used to rain being an excuse to anything, but this was the first time that "yesterdays" rain was used as an excuse on a perfectly sunny "today"... incredible but true...

Are your kids in public school because it sounds exactly like the school my step kids go to? They normally have Fridays off too because the teachers have "something important" to do.
My daughter goes to the international school and they don't have that BS.

With all due respect... if your kids are in a public school in the DR you might as well keep them home and sit them in front of a TV set. They will learn more and at least be in a safe, nurturing environment. Kindly spring for a private school, even a low-cost one, right away.

yea, my kid is in public school, because where i'm living right now the couple of private schools they have here have even worse reputation... so why pay money for the same BS you can get for free? :) anyhow, this is just a temporary thing until i move to a more civilized area of this beautiful country... i guess i can live with that for a couple more months :)

Jun 15, 2008
I get a pique just reading this!
I'd had a very, but very hard time to contain myself and not invite that "Director" to come "see" something behind the building where nobody could see us for a minute or two. :eek:gre:
... J-D.

trust me, if he wasn't twice my size i'd invited him behind the building myself :)
but at least le dije de to' a ese MMG and i guess he has more respect now cuz this morning when i took my daughter to school, he personally came up to me to tell me that today they will close at 10... yes, because it's friday and the teachers have "something important" to do :D

Reactions: Celt202
Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Yes indeed public schooling here I think is even worse than in Haiti!!
Remember when we moved to JD and went to inscribe my step children in school. Since they were quite a bit behind I asked the principal whether she could get me a tutor. No problem she said and she'd call me. After 2 weeks I still hadn't heard from her so I went to the school to ask her. She replied, " yes I did and the person asked me how much is the man going to pay?"
This really pi$$ed me off and she got a mouth full of my barrio Spanish. It was a disgrace because being a teacher it's kind of like a calling not something to become rich of and especially this was the reaction of the possible tutor.
A normal person would have said let's sit down with the man and have a talk but not here in the DR.
I stopped going to that school because every time I get hit for money so I have my woman go for me.
Feel bad for my step children but that's life.

Sep 22, 2009
I just don't see how anyone is surprized. I spend most of my time listening to Domincian excuses (on both a professional and personal level).

It hurts when kids suffer at the hand of this BS, but recall I told a story of how I called out an Exec. at Citi---- for being late to 3 consecutive meetings (one excuse was a flat tire) and they TERMINATED me contract within 3 weeks!!

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Well one should consider that maybe the school was flooded and not fit for classes. My yard got so flooded last night that my pool pump house was under water and it ruined my pool pump. Regardless, they should notify you when school closes but what can you expet in Banana-land.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Tell me "waytogo" from where to where was he turnip truck going and where did it unload the turnips (or swedes for that matter) 'cos I can't find any on this island.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Regardless, I think the worst part is that the child was left unattended! That is truly unacceptable. Not to mention dangerous.

If the school has water, it can easily be cleaned out. The cleaning staff should be in early enough to do so. That being said, it's not easy if the playground is filled with water and the younger kids especially can't get all their energy out playing - but I still can't imagine the school closing and the parents not being informed and a child left unattended!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
This happened at the school my son went to for first grade. My son had missed school due to illness the previous day so we did not receive the note saying that the school was closing at 12 instead of 2:30 for a teacher training session. Even though there was only a handful of children in the same situation the school did not bother to phone the parents. They were left waiting in the midday heat for two-and-a-half hours.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Regardless, I think the worst part is that the child was left unattended! That is truly unacceptable. Not to mention dangerous.

If the school has water, it can easily be cleaned out. The cleaning staff should be in early enough to do so. That being said, it's not easy if the playground is filled with water and the younger kids especially can't get all their energy out playing - but I still can't imagine the school closing and the parents not being informed and a child left unattended!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At my wife's school in Jarabacoa it's the kids that don't show up when it's raining because the parents are afraid of the rain. Numerous times we've taken kids back to the house because nobody picks them up at the end of school when it's raining. Most of the time in this case they show up a couple of hours late, looking sheepish, but several times we've actually had kids stay over night. That's when they send an older sibling to pick the child up because they know they'll get a tongue-lashing if they were the one's arriving. No kid waits by themselves, regardless of age.

Aug 21, 2007
At my wife's school in Jarabacoa it's the kids that don't show up when it's raining because the parents are afraid of the rain. Numerous times we've taken kids back to the house because nobody picks them up at the end of school when it's raining. Most of the time in this case they show up a couple of hours late, looking sheepish, but several times we've actually had kids stay over night. That's when they send an older sibling to pick the child up because they know they'll get a tongue-lashing if they were the one's arriving. No kid waits by themselves, regardless of age.

As it should be....too old now, Bob, but if I weren't I would wish I were a child in YOUR school!

Thanks for doing what is right for the kids.

Lindsey

Jun 15, 2008
Well one should consider that maybe the school was flooded and not fit for classes. My yard got so flooded last night that my pool pump house was under water and it ruined my pool pump. Regardless, they should notify you when school closes but what can you expet in Banana-land.

the school was dry, and there were maybe two small puddles on the playground

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Tell me "waytogo" from where to where was he turnip truck going and where did it unload the turnips (or swedes for that matter) 'cos I can't find any on this island.
I just want some greens.

?

? bient?t

mas_freca_que_chinatown:) i'm sure i'm not the only one on DR1 who remembers walking to school with snow up to my waist (and more falling from the sky) said:
"la lluvia les da gripe..." [/I]

Yeah, I remember walking to school... uphill, both ways, snow falling. But seriously, cuantas no?er?as en las escuelas p?blicas!

Y padres ?o?os:

I call my brother: Y entonces, mi'jo, la ni?a y la escuela... d?melo?

No, no la mand? hoy; aqu? 'ta lloviendo.

Reactions: Celt202