a thread where people from U.S. offer/get paid to bring items w/them to DR?

eibbed

Jul 31, 2009
Hello. I've search the forum using all possible word combinations to ask this question:

Is there a thread where we can ask travelers from the U.S. (and, Canada and U.K.) to bring items with them to the DR? For instance, there's an item in the U.S. that I want, but the international shipping rate costs at least three times the price of the item.

Of course, I'd be more than willing to compensate the traveler for providing this type of convenience.

If a thread like this doesn't exist, is there enough interest making it possible to start one?

Thanks!

Sep 22, 2009
This is clearly not well-thought out. It costs 90 dollars to send a box full of stuff within 2 weeks. How much are you looking to pay some stranger where this turns into value-add for both parties?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Better to leave this on a case-by-case basis. If someone is travelling and offers to bring items they are free to offer, and if someone is in need of something brought over they can post a specific request.

Probably best to keep this on a non-commercial basis too.

eibbed

Jul 31, 2009
it was merely a question ...

.... thanks for your comments, though. I'm looking for a variety of items, and I don't have anyone in my home city who can do this for me. I'll just locate a personal shopper to pick up items, pack and ship to me.

My apologies ... wasn't my intent to suggest a commercial venture.

:rolleyes:

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
.... thanks for your comments, though. I'm looking for a variety of items, and I don't have anyone in my home city who can do this for me. I'll just locate a personal shopper to pick up items, pack and ship to me.

Just about anything you want can be located on ebay. Look for the item with free shipping to a shipping company such as Eps in Miami and it is a whole lot easier than having someone run around and shop for you. And you control exactly what you are purchasing. Normally from purchase to pick-up is one week. Just an idea...

eibbed

Jul 31, 2009
thank you

Thank you for the suggestion. In addition to the one item I want to purchase where the shipping is outrageously expense, there are other items I want/need that are not on eBay.

Thanks, again!

Just about anything you want can be located on ebay. Look for the item with free shipping to a shipping company such as Eps in Miami and it is a whole lot easier than having someone run around and shop for you. And you control exactly what you are purchasing. Normally from purchase to pick-up is one week. Just an idea...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Thank you for the suggestion. In addition to the one item I want to purchase where the shipping is outrageously expense, there are other items I want/need that are not on eBay.

Thanks, again!

Yous should try Amazon or Walmart. I have an account with Business Mail and it is pretty economical.

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
Purchases

We use TransExpress and the cost of our shopping/shipping has gone way down. I had some vitamins shipped and it was under $6.00.... and they arrived in a week. Just another observation on getting the things we want.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
transexpress

was the $6 the only extra cost on the transexpress shipping, I looked at the website and saw a 54 percent tax on luxury goods

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002

Thanks, again!

I'm really curious to what this item might be and what do you consider outrageously expense?

eibbed

Jul 31, 2009
to satisfy your curiosity

It's a household item that costs $69.99, I consider $149.00 to ship it to me here in the DR, much more than I'm willing to pay.

I'm really curious to what this item might be and what do you consider outrageously expense?

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com

I have an account at La Union in the Bronx. I buy stuff and send it there. When it gets to be around 250 lbs they send it here...door to door including customs. It's effective, inexpensive and nothing has been lost at all. Everything from fancy candles to flat screen TVs. That's how I would do it.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Good news, thanks to TheHun we have a new shipper that is possibly much more economical than Vimenpaq, Business Mail or EPS and they have offices in Santiago, Las Americas, Punta Cana, and PP. I'm talking with one of the salesmen and when I have more info I will post it. They also have air and sea freight options.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks Chip. I'm interested in hearing that because the only option I know of in Punta Cana is overpriced compared to the one we use in the capital.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i also use La Union shipping in the bronx, jerome ave, door to door, nothing ever lost, it might not be the place to use when sending a 69.99 kitchen appliance, but, it's a reliable company. across the street they can make your car louder than a metallica concert. i was on jerome ave sunday for about 5 hours and if i only looked at the people, and not the buildings, i'd of thought i was in SD.