Dominicans in the U.S. Can you identify?

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
This article quoted in another thread aptly describes my experiences and the curiosity I have about my own background. Commentary: 'But what's a Latino?' - CNN.com

For Americans, it seems they are so used to picking a neat little box, that they cannot fathom that in our country, its totally normal for people in a family to all have the same blood and appear to be of several different races and all the inbetweens.

I would say maybe Brazil and Cape Verde are the only countries with comparable history and even then we are all different.

Black Americans are often offended if you don't claim "just black". They say "there are people of different colors in my family too" but really theyre just talking about different tones of black. Its not different races like with us. Yet I can honestly say that apart from other Dominicans its black Americans who have taken me in...I think because they know even if I'm hispanic I still look black and we are thus on the same boat. Were it not for them I wouldve never come to terms with myself as a whole. As an Afro-Latina, not just an "Indian" or a "Spaniard".

White Americans try to make me give them a complete rundown of my ancestors and any Dominican knows how difficult that can be, being that we just don't usually keep track of it. To us mixing is just what people do and we dont give it any thought (obvious colorism issues aside).

Its like people here are baffled that you can be 8 different things and all come out different and still all feel that you are the SAME culturally. I know American History explains why these feelings exist but it makes for an interesting experience.

Then, Central and South Americans feel so free to talk crap about me right to my face, thinking I dont speak spanish since I dont fit the "stereotypical" Latin look that they are used to and that the media pushes.

This has made me think of my origins in a way that I know I wouldnt have if I had been raised entirely in the DR. The segregation and polarization I encountered in the U.S. made me think of this in much more depth and what it means for us culturally. How misunderstood we sometimes are because of it.

How has it been for you as a Dominican in the U.S....for those Dominicans who dont pass as white and who are black and/or ambiguous looking? I have noticed that many people who remain in Dominican neighborhoods rarely even see what I mean, but I know there are others who have.

Its not a woe, either. Its just interesting and unique to people like us who dont fit into neat little boxes.

30Taina

Oct 21, 2009
Ambiguity

As I recently discover that I may be the only Domincan in Boise, Idaho your article describes a dilemma that I often come across. People are often puzzled by my appearances and when I start to speak Spanish they are surprises. I think that our unique presentation is what makes us beautiful.

Sep 22, 2009
As I recently discover that I may be the only Domincan in Boise, Idaho your article describes a dilemma that I often come across. People are often puzzled by my appearances and when I start to speak Spanish they are surprises. I think that our unique presentation is what makes us beautiful.

I'm sure I am speaking for many when I ask out of pure honest curiosity: why Idaho? I've been to Idaho - even the people look like potatoes.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
People end up in odd places sometimes....our Dominican niece was an engineer in Santo Domingo, apparently a very good one because a company based in Oklahoma offered her an incredible job. Got her a green card, paid for her apartment, bought her a car, amazing salary, etc. After a couple of years there she married another engineer (American) at that company, and now she's a firmly planted Okie.

Who woulda thunk it? She probably wasn't exactly sure where Oklahoma was when they offered her the job.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Im often puzzled why americans label themselves so much, we dont have latino- English , or black English, everyone is just English

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It's like trying to compare apples and bananas. England has been full of Englishmen for many, many centuries. America, in comparison, is relatively young. Also consider the size of America. Beginning in the 1800s many different ethnic groups came here in huge numbers. Germans, Irish, Italians, till about 1920. More recently Asians: Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshi. Vietnamese. Not to mention the Latinos who arrived in droves in the past 50 years or so. We're talking about massive influxes of people rivaling England's population. Each group was ostracized upon arrival. They created their own enclaves, mostly in big cities, where they spoke their own language, cooked their own foods, helped others find work, etc. They were in America, but they were still Irish, Italian, Dominican, Vietnamese. They created their home country in their neighborhoods. A massive number of Americans, like me, are the 1st and 2nd generation born here.

Give us a thousand years to attain assimilation as England and Great Britain have. By then we probably won't be hyphenated Americans any more.

AE

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Just tell them your human. I'm find this need to "identify" oneself with a particular group of humans annoying to say the least. We're all human, we all share this world together, and aside from some variations in the tone of our skin and the shape of our faces we are amazingly alike.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
It's like trying to compare apples and bananas. England has been full of Englishmen for many, many centuries. America, in comparison, is relatively young. Also consider the size of America. Beginning in the 1800s many different ethnic groups came here in huge numbers. Germans, Irish, Italians, till about 1920. More recently Asians: Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshi. Vietnamese. Not to mention the Latinos who arrived in droves in the past 50 years or so. We're talking about massive influxes of people rivaling England's population. Each group was ostracized upon arrival. They created their own enclaves, mostly in big cities, where they spoke their own language, cooked their own foods, helped others find work, etc. They were in America, but they were still Irish, Italian, Dominican, Vietnamese. They created their home country in their neighborhoods. A massive number of Americans, like me, are the 1st and 2nd generation born here.

Give us a thousand years to attain assimilation as England and Great Britain have. By then we probably won't be hyphenated Americans any more.

AE

But your wrong most of those groups did not hyphenate. and they assimilated. something the massive amounts of Latinos have not done. Plus lots of them the Germans Swedes, Norwegians, Fins did not stay in the large cities, they moved to Kansas, Minnesota, Texas Nebraska, and populated the Midwest. You will never hear press 2 for German.

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
My bad. I just realized this thread was moved from where I posted it. I had intended it to be mostly towards other Dominicans in the U.S. but I see why it may be of interest generally, I guess?

Bienamor, White immigrants to the U.S. are also just accepted as "All American" as soon as they learn english or when their 1st generation kids are born. With other races it doesnt occur that way. You can have roots in the u.s. for 97967857543 years back and assimilate fully from day 1 and still be labeled with a hyphen. Apples and Oranges. You are correct about that.

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
Oh, human is by far the best label of all. Our society hasnt come that far yet, however.

I guess what I was getting at was that I now want to know where in Africa my ancestors came from. What my Lebanese great grandparents were like. What my great great grandad's Chinese surname was. That kind of deal. If I were solely in the DR I might have never cared but in the U.S., you are kind of forced to look at yourself more in that sense when you not polarized towards one race or another.

So now I want to get DNA tests done. And I feel pangs of shame and guilt for how much we hide our blackness as if its not clear as day anyway. I would probably not feel this way if not for the influence of the U.S.

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
Shame ?!? Guilt ?!? Morena, get yourself together !!! True, I prefer the Dominicans from the island from the ones from Washington Heigths, but chica, **** the world's perception !

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Shame ?!? Guilt ?!? Morena, get yourself together !!! True, I prefer the Dominicans from the island from the ones from Washington Heigths, but chica, **** the world's perception !

Yeah, it is like you guys prefer all Dominicans to be in the DR rather than the US. We get it.;)

Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
lol koredjk, excuse me if the fact that i have been looking in the mirror at a black woman my whole life, while having everyone around me tell me "black is terrible. never say you are in any way black" was bothersome and confusing. you dont think thats a little.....weird? unless you have been in my place its probably difficult to identify.

While at this point in my life its no longer an issue as I have learned and adjusted to live between worlds just fine, it was still a factor in forming my identity and thats what my thread is about. Unless you have been a Dominican in that situation it may be hard to fathom. Its difficult to fathom for Dominicans who have never lived away from other Dominicans in the U.S. as well.

Its more about a comparison and clash of cultures and views than insecurities.

Last edited:

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
Yeah, it is like you guys prefer all Dominicans to be in the DR rather than the US. We get it.;)

Do you, really ?
Mi amor, as an immigrant myself to NY I came to "make it"...I am happy with what I achieved and I do not need the ones around me to acknoledge any of it especially when it comes to backround...si tu tienes un insecuridad, then that's it's your problem, so please don't blame it on the environment, NY is the best chance for ANY immigrant ( who wants to work ). And I also prefer the americans that live abroad.

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
unless you have been in my place its probably difficult to identify.

:)))) I crossed the iron courtain as a teen and when they seen me with my long hair, "clothes" and attitude the border guards were shocked...When I went for my first (real) job interview my english was really really bad ( as it is now ) but I got the job because of my math...you cannot imagine the way the italians and the french looked at me...no issues with the brits 'till thw gipsies arrived and they start asking me questions :)

it's all down to who you are and what you want, it's easy to blame the environment.

Last edited:

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
:)))) I crossed the iron courtain as a teen and when they seen me with my long hair, "clothes" and attitude the border guards were shocked...When I went for my first (real) job interview my english was really really bad ( as it is now ) but I got the job because of my math...

it's all down to who you are and what you want, it's easy to blame the environment.

but blame for what? at no point in time was any blame placed on anything or anyone. there werent any complaints made.

this was about experiences in the us for dominican americans. no problems were noted. simply comparisons on cultures, views and experiences that are unique to dominicans attempting to assimilate into american society. you seem to have misunderstood somewhere along the line.

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
Basically, for me, accepting that I am part African and being proud of it, is part of my assimilation into Americanness. Its something that I preferred to drop from my Dominican upbringing because I found it hurtful. There are also aspects that I will never pick up from American culture for the same reasons.

Immigrants all have their own take on assimilation or lack thereof. We all pick and choose what we want to keep....or if we want to just start with a fresh slate as those of european descent have been more prone to do for what i deem to be cultural reasons too.

As Latinos we are often taught to be very deeply tied to our culture in a way that other cultures are not all as stringent about. I think that makes us look as if we just dont care or dont want to fit in. When in reality statistics show by the time the 1st gen comes along we have already assimilated for the most part. Its just that there are certain things we never let go of. What those things are will differ from person to person.

I just like to ponder on how differently we all percieve it all.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Basically, for me, accepting that I am part African and being proud of it, is part of my assimilation into Americanness. Its something that I preferred to drop from my Dominican upbringing because I found it hurtful. There are also aspects that I will never pick up from American culture for the same reasons.

I just like to ponder on how differently we all perceive it all.

My question would be: why be either ashamed or proud of your African Heritage? You after all are an individual moulded by your environment to a certain extent, but you are more than the sum of your ethnic makeup. Americanise in my eyes doesn't mean putting one part of your heritage above another- you simply are what you are and that's not a colour. I honestly have never heard a Dominican deny being part African. Italians and Greek communities, or family retain their culture very well and also assimilate well at the same time.