What happens if?????????

blanca

Jan 23, 2003
I was wondering what would happen or what are the consequenses if you come to the DR and just don't go back to the US.
If you a stopped by the police and your tourist card is expired, can they do anything?
An if you have to leave say a year later what happens at the airport?
Thankx,
Blanca

aross

Nov 15, 2007
I was wondering what would happen or what are the consequenses if you come to the DR and just don't go back to the US.
If you a stopped by the police and your tourist card is expired, can they do anything?
An if you have to leave say a year later what happens at the airport?
Thankx,
Blanca

You will not have a Tourist Card to show the Police because 10 yards after you pick it up from one official you will give it back to another official.

At the Airport when leaving they will quite happily charge you 2,500 $RD if it is just under 1 year and 4,000 $RD if over 1 year and under 1.5 years. Then they will wish you a good trip and say come again soon.

See the list of Overstay Fees here: Direccion General de Migracion

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
and you lose all rights to bitch about illegal immigration in your home country.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Remember if you are leaving the US (a US citizen) and you do not have perm. residency here you will not be allowed to board your plane if you don't have a return ticket.

Bob K

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
not so

Remember if you are leaving the US (a US citizen) and you do not have perm. residency here you will not be allowed to board your plane if you don't have a return ticket.

Bob K

there is no problem with this... I have flow here for the last four years on a one way ticket with no residency. At first they asked me and I just said I lived here. Then I flew Jet Blue which only sells one way tickets anyway.... no problems. It is not up to the US to enforce this provision of DR law and the DR does not check on return tickets. They are happy to have you stay as long as your money holds out...and if you get totally stranded the Embassy has a loan fund which it will use to send you back home.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
there is no problem with this... I have flow here for the last four years on a one way ticket with no residency. At first they asked me and I just said I lived here. Then I flew Jet Blue which only sells one way tickets anyway.... no problems. It is not up to the US to enforce this provision of DR law and the DR does not check on return tickets. They are happy to have you stay as long as your money holds out...and if you get totally stranded the Embassy has a loan fund which it will use to send you back home.

Although it has never happened to me -
flying out of Miami returning to Haiti, several friends have been told that the return portion (PaP - Miami - PaP) of their ticket was not sufficient and that before they boarded the plane to PaP they would need to buy a ticket back to Miami from PaP. Of course last minute tickets can be expensive.
This has happened to US residents and non US residents alike.
It just depends how the airline employee if feeling at the time - it seems completely arbitrary.

This has happened with Air France and American Airlines.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
from the little I know the reason for the return ticket requirement is, that if for some reason you were denied entry, and had to return to your home country, its at the airlines expense, if you dont have a return ticket.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com

Bob K

Not quite accurate. My family travels back and forth on one way tickets all the time and none of them have perm. residency here. It was a problem many years ago but for the past four or five years it has not been any problem.