W5 show on Immigration Canada

kacy

Feb 3, 2008
Just as a note I gave W5 my feedback about how its not easy as their show makes it out to be....

Jess1

Jul 11, 2009
I just finished watching it also!!!! I couldn't believe my eyes!
It's because of things like this segment on W5 that makes it so difficult for people in genuine relationships to bring their spouse to Canada.

Jess

missrnb

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 26, 2009
I think the lawyer is right, The laws must be changed so the PR is not given untill a certain time.

And I do agree with Kinney, the spouse has a responsability for maring this person...

I sent feedback too.
They should investigate on abusive immigration agents!!!!

Sunflower333

May 25, 2009
I also was shocked at some of the things that were shown.

Waiting to get a PR makes alot of sense- a truly genuine couple should have no problem with that and esp. if it helps to weed out the ones just in it to get here.

I agree with Kacy- it IS the sponsoring spouse's responsibility and is made very clear on the form. A person will spend time and effort to prove to Immigration that the marriage is genuine and real and then they want to blame Immigration if it isn't??

kacy

Feb 3, 2008
it does and it doesn't - in the US they get there sooner but aren't granted PR until after - however - its a big place to disappear in and still stay in the country and it doesn't mean the fraudsters just won't stick it out until they have PR status....
there is some validity to a longer application process before they get into your country.. but bottom line you'll never stop it all -Also, there's no guarantees in any marriage - many people marry without true intentions inside Canada...

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
I think we should follow the UK's process.

The spouse can come fairly easily as long as the sponsor can afford the responsibility.

If the couple is still together and married after 2 years they can get residency. If they break up the applicant has to go back.

Its pretty easy and protects the country and the sponsor.

Also, they grant a lot more visitor visas.

kacy

Feb 3, 2008
That's interesting...

not sure how I feel about it - I'm sure the UK system has their issues as well (be interesting to find out how many people end up leaving when asked to - I'm sure some stay anyways) and I've always heard that the canadian process is quite rigorous in that the work is done up front to make sure the bad ones never make it in the country in the first place. I just know that the system is pretty clear as to what your responsibility is as a sponsor - those people made it sound like no one told them that before - and you need to think about what your plan is if it doesn't work out - if you're not up for the what-if then you should likely reconsider being a sponsor. its all the complaints to immigration canada after the fact that results in longer processing times. didn't someone on the forum say the officer actually said she was looking out for them and wasn't their response that they could look out for themselves - well you can't really blame them for taking a harder look at applicants if people don't live up to the bargain.... if we want immigration canada to protect us as sponsors then we really can't complain about the level of scrutiny they put us through. I just think we can't have it both ways.

coco55

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 25, 2009
Kacy, yes they have to be harder but keep in mind that their decision has to be profesional not based on feeling like its often the case. We sent over 50 proofs and she admited that she didnt believe what my husband said!!! The agent has to do his job with proofs not personal impresion to protect us.

kacy

Feb 3, 2008
Coco55 - I can't comment on your specific case - my point is that the one guy in the show sent in his proof and no interview was required - he now says the immigration system wasn't thorough enough because they didn't even interview him or his wife- and its complaints like that that result in immigration workers being more skeptical - as in perhaps your situation. So he too had 'proof" and the case worker looking at his file said it looks to be genuine. We all submit proof and at the end of the day we do not know what it is that make some successful and some not - only the caseworkers know that. But we can't come down on them for being wary after seeing shows like that - when the first thing people do when it goes wrong is say it was up to immigration canada to protect them. you can bet that after a complaint is made it goes back to the caseworker and perhaps the government says "why weren't you tougher...how did this happen?" So as a result that caseworker is going to think long and hard before approving the next application put in front of them.

Reactions: AnnaC

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
We used to have another system in place before this one where immigrants had to put in x amount of time with their sponsor/spouse before receiving residency in Canada. I just wanted to add that no matter what rules they put in place, if an applicant's sole intention is to get to Canada he/she will wait out the 2-4 years or whatever is required till they get that piece of paper.

Kacy, you are absolutely right, when things don't work out the first thing the sponsor will do is blame Immigration for not catching the "fraud" as if saying that releases the sponsor from their responsibilities.

Immigration does not have the resource to chase anyone after the fact that is why they have to be extra vigilant first and that is also why the sponsor takes full responsibility once that PR has been approved.

Unfortunately they ( immigration) are only human and make mistakes. As someone mentioned before some applicants have been approved that should not have and some that should have were not.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
I agree Kacy,

I think part of the problem is that when sponsors sign the agreement to be responsible for 3 years, they are assuming that their spouse 1) would never take advantage of the system and/or 2) loves them and would never do anything to hurt them financially or otherwise.

Marriage is an investment and when an investment goes bad you don't get your money back. You have to take the loss and move on. One would hope they have made a wise investment in the first place but sometimes this isn't always the case.

It's really difficult to put your emotions aside and look at the seriousness of what it means to sponsor someone to live in Canada....I understand how love can blind people to the bigger picture and all the potential problems that can and unfortunately sometimes do happen.

It's easy to sign the papers and send the application because you want to be together as fast as possible.

Either way, our responsibility as the sponsor is a risk that we have agreed to take and have to deal with whatever happens.

Last edited:

TheHun

May 4, 2008
Yes, they did a good job to show the weakness of the canadian immigration system.
Did you guys and gals know that Mr. Williams, the PI from the documentary is actually a DR1 member? ;) :bunny:
He is a great person and a real professional.

The Hun

abused

Feb 4, 2009
I think we should follow the UK's process.

The spouse can come fairly easily as long as the sponsor can afford the responsibility.

If the couple is still together and married after 2 years they can get residency. If they break up the applicant has to go back.

Its pretty easy and protects the country and the sponsor.

Also, they grant a lot more visitor visas.

i agree 100%, put yourself in people like myself who have been lied to by their husbands , only to find once they arrive in canada and is too late to do anything about it. The UK is smart in protecting their people , Canada isnt because once they are in our country, they are free to do whatever they want. Canada should protect their people, if marriage is still good after 2 years, then fine, but if marriage is broken within 2 years, then yes, they should return back to their country. Remember the only reason they are entering canada is because they want to be with the other person, so if it doesn`t work out, then go back to your country again. other countries do their best against fraud, canada doesn`t. All canada is interested , is in having a larger population, they don`t care about their own people.

Sweetkiwi

Jul 16, 2009
i agree 100%, put yourself in people like myself who have been lied to by their husbands , only to find once they arrive in canada and is too late to do anything about it. The UK is smart in protecting their people , Canada isnt because once they are in our country, they are free to do whatever they want. Canada should protect their people, if marriage is still good after 2 years, then fine, but if marriage is broken within 2 years, then yes, they should return back to their country. Remember the only reason they are entering canada is because they want to be with the other person, so if it doesn`t work out, then go back to your country again. other countries do their best against fraud, canada doesn`t. All canada is interested , is in having a larger population, they don`t care about their own people.

I don't necessarily agree with that Abused. If Canada was only interested in increasing its population then the screening process wouldn't be so rigorous. While it hurts me to be separated from my husband I am also grateful that this process is so tough based on all the frauds out there, many of whom are from the DR.

What is your story if you don't mind my asking...? You sort of hint that you have personal experience similar to those in the W5 special.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
As far as I'm concerned, you people brought your ho/sankie to Canada. Pay the price and quit blaming the government. When the imigration people take too much time to decide, you complain. When they let them in and you realise you srewed up, again you complain and blame the government. Make up your minds. The Canadian people have enough problem paying taxes for health, education, etc. without having to pay for your stupidity,

Ellie2008

Aug 8, 2008
Eddy,

Although i agree with some of the points you have made, there is not need to be so harsh.

These men and women all truly believed to have been in a real relationship, and I can empathize with their pain.

Speaking for myself, I have sponsored both my husband and Step Daughter to come to Canada. They have been with me here now for 2 months, and I have never been happier. When this entire process began, I did a lot of research and read the sponsoring documents fully. I understood the risks involved with sponsoring not 1 but 2 people to Canada.

Although nothing in life is a guarantee other than death and taxes, i understood my role in the process and risk associated with it and chose to proceed. My husband was interviewed, so in my opinion immigration did what they could to protect me as the sponsor. Obviously any concerns or questions the immigration officer had, were satisfied after speaking with my husband.

God forbid something was to happen to my relationship, I would pick my self up and move forward. I would not blame the government nor would i publicly broadcast my story on W5 :)

Visa fraud is an ongoing issue with Canada. Some changes need to be made to the system.....however i look at it this way.....if you truly believe it to be a real relationship...how can you blame the immigration officer if he/she believed it as well??? Do we require them to do further investigation on the spouse ie: as the PI did on W5?? Do we really wish to extend this process even longer??

Just my 2 cents

viajar

Feb 19, 2009
I too watched the program and my impressions are as follows, firstly I was very dissapointed in the minister of immigration who stated that these people (sponsors) ultimately need to take responsibility for their decisons. Come on, these people were duped by fraudsters. As far as I could see they were asking only for recourse against against wrongs committed against those sponsers and in a broader sense against the Canadian people as a whole. To suggest that fraud should be born by the victims is like Alan Greenspan suggesting that the derivitive markets should be unregulated as fraud will be prevented by the markets. A view that he ultimately admitted was wrong, but a view that resulted in a great deal of anguish to a great deal of people. Canada needs laws that punish all types of immigration fraud period. Sure there are complicated cases but that is why we have a government to work these things out so that they can be applied as fair as possible. I think as long as such views as those expressed by the minister, dealing with the real problem will be ignored and unfortunately those who have ligitimate immigrations aspirations will continue to pay for the failures in the system. The system can be fixed as we can see from the suggestions in this forum and other sources, all that is missing is the will.