I Want To Get Married In Barahona . . .

Quisqueya430

To be specific, I plan on getting married in Bahoruco on Jul 14, 2010. I would like a Beach Ceremony. I am a US Citizen and my fiance was born in Barahona. I'm having trouble finding an official to perform the ceremony {maybe I'm not looking in the right place}. Who do I contact to perform the ceremony? I need to ask them what paperwork my fiance and I need to have in order before the ceremony and what requirements we need to meet, and fees we have to pay to be LEAGALLY married on July 14, 2010 . . . ANY information will be greatly appreciated . . . :)

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
To be specific, I plan on getting married in Bahoruco on Jul 14, 2010. I would like a Beach Ceremony. I am a US Citizen and my fiance was born in Barahona. I'm having trouble finding an official to perform the ceremony {maybe I'm not looking in the right place}. Who do I contact to perform the ceremony? I need to ask them what paperwork my fiance and I need to have in order before the ceremony and what requirements we need to meet, and fees we have to pay to be LEAGALLY married on July 14, 2010 . . . ANY information will be greatly appreciated . . . :)

Is this a new type I am unaware of?

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com

I assume you know you do not need an 'official' to perform the wedding ceremony? Most wedding ceremonies in this country seem to be conducted by laypersons such as hotel managers, concierges, wedding planners and the like. This is because the ceremony is not the legal wedding; many people tend to marry at the civil judge in town and have a ceremony later.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006

This should answer a number of your questions Legal Options For Marriage in the Dominican Republic - U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com

REQUIREMENTS FOR CIVIL WEDDINGS IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC: Getting married in the Dominican Republic does not require you to get a marriage license, but a registration. The DR local City Clerk (Oficial?a del Estado Civil ) charges about US$50.00 for registering, and this is the start point towards getting married in the Dominican Republic. You both will need to submit the following paperwork in order to get your marriage certificate:

? PASSPORT
? BIRTH CERTIFICATE
? SINGLE STATUS AFFIDAVIT TRANSLATED INTO SPANISH BY AN OFFICIAL TRANSLATOR
? DIVORCE CERTIFICATE TRANSLATED INTO SPANISH BY AN OFFICIAL TRANSLATOR, IF APPLICABLE

(Legal transcripts of the birth certificates, single status affidavit and divorce act need to be prepared at the Dominican consulate in the country where the documents were issued.) Two witnesses are needed, if the witnesses are foreigners they will need to present copies of their passports, local IDs

( Cedulas ) are accepted if the wedding witnesses are Dominicans. We can provide two witnesses if you are getting married with no friends in the island. People who are divorced in the Dominican Republic under the Special Divorces Law will have to follow the 24 hours waiting period before getting married again.

After the marriage, you will be provided with a legal document that proves the wedding took place. You will then request a marriage certificate from the City Clerk ( Oficial?a del Estado Civil ) that married you. The document issued by ?Oficial de Estado Civil? (City Clerk) is a valid marriage certificate overseas, but in case you are considering a name change or applying for a visa for one of the spouses, you may consider validating the marriage certificate at your consulate in the Dominican Republic.

REQUIREMENTS FOR RELIGIOUS WEDDINGS IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC: Have your Matrimonial Preparation at the Parish of your place of residency if the couple is living together, or at the Bride?s Parish if you are engaged.

You will both need the following documentation:

? Birth Certificates
? Baptismal Certificate, with no longer than 6 months of issuance, with indication of Confirmation if applicable.
? Civil Wedding Certificate, if applicable.
? Birth Certificates of your children, if applicable.
? Divorce Certification, if applicable.
? Annulment Certificate from the Church, if applicable.
? Death Certificate of a previous spouse, if applicable.
? Written proof from the Parish of the Matrimonial Preparation.
? Document from the Parish?s Priest authorizing this marriage to be celebrated out
of his Parish, and delegating this Marriage to corresponding priest, Dominican Republic.
? Document of the Chancellor of the Dioceses approving this matrimony out of his
territory.
? Translation of these documents to Spanish, if the language is other than French,
English, Portuguese or Italian.
? Couples? names, parent?s names, places of birth, photocopies of Passports.
? Two witnesses, send their Passport copies if they are not from the Dominican
Republic.

Reactions: AnnaC
Sep 22, 2009
Firstly: Congrats.

To voice an opinion here: I look at these things more or less the same as those folks who write the forum about opening a business here.

Chances are, if one has to ask this community about DR regulatory environment, social economics, where to buy power generating solutions, how to open a bank account AND, last but not least, how to get married-- chances are none of the decisions were well-thought out.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Yep...
... and BEFORE you sign ANYTHING, have a lawyer (not picked by her family) give you at least a little orientation chat on what you are getting into.
US citizen or not, this is the DR and DR laws will apply to YOU and YOUR marriage.
In other words, unless you have less to your name than she has, you might find out that what you really want, is to get a DR prenupt.

... J-D.

Quisqueya430

requirements for civil weddings in the dominican republic: Getting married in the dominican republic does not require you to get a marriage license, but a registration. The dr local city clerk (oficial?a del estado civil ) charges about us$50.00 for registering, and this is the start point towards getting married in the dominican republic. You both will need to submit the following paperwork in order to get your marriage certificate . . .

thanks for your help !

kacy

Feb 3, 2008
We got married in Barahona - you need to have all your documents - as mentioned in the post above single status, birth certificate translated into spanish (can be done in your country quite quickly) and legalized in Santo Domingo. even though they were stamped by the DR embassy in your country - they just verify that seal.

then you need to go into the civil office in barahona and speak to them about what you want - when and where - and your documents have to be in order and correct before they will perform the ceremony. YOu can reserve your date prior to this but you should finalize your documents well ahead of the wedding and take them to make sure they're all in order - because if something isn't - you're going back to Santo domingo to fix it. Once I had my documents translated and legalized here - I faxed them to my husband who took them to the office to have them check them - then they told us where to go in Santo domingo to get them legalized again - verifying the seal from the DR embassy in canada.

Its not as easy to arrange your ceremony there but very possible - its just at a resort they do all the legwork for you - in Barahona you need to do your legwork yourself.

after your ceremony it takes a couple days to get your certificate and then it has to be taken to santo domingo and legalized.

my husband did all the arranging but I can find out more specifics if needbe - just pm me.