used cars in Puerto Plata ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
Where used cars are offered for sale in Puerto Plata? Any place to post bills like Playero in Sosua? I want to buy a reasonably priced used car in good condition for light local driving.

BTW, supercarros.com does not have PP cars for sale at all! Amazing!

Boricuajoe

Dec 30, 2004
What are you looking for

Is there a particular type of car which you are interested in? How much are you willing to spend? Those are some considerations and you may find private sales of vehicles which are available.

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
Is there a particular type of car which you are interested in? How much are you willing to spend? Those are some considerations and you may find private sales of vehicles which are available.

for a right car i would be willing to spend up to $8000-$13 000, but hopefully and ideally - less.

any type will do - just to find a very attractive price/value/condition combination.

WHERE can I finde these private sales in Puerto Plata? Where are they posted/advertized? Anybody knows?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I would not be aware of a well kept up bill board like at Playero's exit in Puerto Plata. I personally always check the bill board at Playero, even when I'm not in the market for anything... it has turned out to be an interesting gauge of what's going on. I think, it's a spot you might find some really desperate sellers... but possibly also some shade ones. Many of them, might just want "out"... so, be careful... no money back guarantee there either.

I don't think Puerto Plata to be a great spot to shop for cars anyways. Too little gringos needing out and too many locals dreaming of gringos making them rich, quick.

IF you buy, get yourself educated about the title-registration transfer (traspaso de matricula y titulo) process BEFORE you move any cash over (or under) the table. Follow the legal process STEP by STEP to the letter of the law. Don't accept "smart" short cuts! (there are loads of threads on here about this very subject).

Buy a vehicle which is common here. If in doubt, check in for a friendly chat at any Repuestos (parts) store and ask if the vehicle you are eying is something there are parts around for. Some gray market imports have almost no parts available locally.

... J-D.

Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
I would not be aware of a well kept up bill board like at Playero's exit in Puerto Plata. I personally always check the bill board at Playero, even when I'm not in the market for anything... it has turned out to be an interesting gauge of what's going on. I think, it's a spot you might find some really desperate sellers... but possibly also some shade ones. Many of them, might just want "out"... so, be careful... no money back guarantee there either.

I don't think Puerto Plata to be a great spot to shop for cars anyways. Too little gringos needing out and too many locals dreaming of gringos making them rich, quick.

IF you buy, get yourself educated about the title-registration transfer (traspaso de matricula y titulo) process BEFORE you move any cash over (or under) the table. Follow the legal process STEP by STEP to the letter of the law. Don't accept "smart" short cuts! (there are loads of threads on here about this very subject).

Buy a vehicle which is common here. If in doubt, check in for a friendly chat at any Repuestos (parts) store and ask if the vehicle you are eying is something there are parts around for. Some gray market imports have almost no parts available locally.

... J-D.

Tons of useful and friendly information here, thank you ladies and gents!!

I am old. I am very old. So, I do not rush neither cut corners.
I am seriousely old. I am substantially old!!!

Please, where to get more and precise info on "(traspaso de matricula y titulo)"? On the very correct and honest procedure.

I am pretty much familiar with auto and parts business, so it`s not an issue, I know what to buy and what not to buy, but I know that I can get in big trouble in this country because of legal or paper work.

Where to look for this legal info, please?

Any recommendation of a proven used car dealer (or better two or three) in Moca?

I am not desperate to buy. For a very long time I rent one day a week for $20 to do shopping, and very happy with it. But will buy one of my own if stars get in the correct position and car+price+condition+ seller`s motivation are right. I have all CASH (money) available and will PAY right away.

May 24, 2009
www.swellsurfcamp.com
Any recommendation of a proven used car dealer (or better two or three) in Moca?

Try Charlies Hernandez - he's based in Santiago. I have bought 4 vehicles from him in the last 6 years and have been happy both with price and the vehicle. His family are involved with the motor dealers association and he appears to have standards to uphold.
I tell him what I want and how much I will pay and he finds me the vehicle and brings it to Cabarete for me. I either buy it, or don't buy it. He then deals with the transfer of Metricula for me. He speaks perfect English. His number is 809 430 3325. Good luck with your search, whoever you buy a vehicle from.

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
Try Charlies Hernandez - he's based in Santiago. I have bought 4 vehicles from him in the last 6 years and have been happy both with price and the vehicle. His family are involved with the motor dealers association and he appears to have standards to uphold.
I tell him what I want and how much I will pay and he finds me the vehicle and brings it to Cabarete for me. I either buy it, or don't buy it. He then deals with the transfer of Metricula for me. He speaks perfect English. His number is 809 430 3325. Good luck with your search, whoever you buy a vehicle from.

Great! Called him. Left message.
Is this # still alive?

When did you call him last time?

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
s--- you can buy a good clean used toyota corolla for under 5000$us autom. a/c. 3000-5000- or under 180kpd. I reco. santiago- as used car place. you have to know where and how to look but shop @ for a few days. There are a bunch of dealers on the highway. If you want some buying tips , please ask...

Yes I want tips!!

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Please, where to get more and precise info on "(traspaso de matricula y titulo)"? On the very correct and honest procedure.

We had a sticky once, based on my experience. However, it has been all our experience too that procedures change on the fly here... so, what was true 3 years ago... might be completely upside down today.

Anyways:

• Usually, once you have selected a vehicle you draw up a buy-sell contract. The seller will try to have a deposit as high as possible and you as low as possible.. The contract MUST be subject to a successful traspaso process in a timely fashion!
  • Then, not necessarily in this order, the vehicle will have to be inspected physically by the Police (PN), which should issue a paper stating that there is nothing pending on the vehicle (like it being stolen).
  • Buy some stamps, certifying some signatures at various gov. offices.
  • Finally, file for a new matricula (registration-AND-deed-in-one).
There are express (VIP) services available at most offices for a small (yes, official) extra fee. Take advantage of these!

There are tramitadores set up with their offices around most related gov. offices offering their help. Check out their prices, especially if you are not in good command of the local language. DO NOT let your seller control the process. Especially dealers are likely to have "contacts" allowing them to skip some steps. YOU WANT your papers to be obtained with all steps, especially those which may give you some assurance there are no leans or impediments against the vehicle or its sale to you!

Moca is the nation's capital for imported used vehicle sales. Some of these dealers have outlets in Santiago too (Santiago is so much easier to reach from Puerto Plata if you don't have a car).

... J-D.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
  • Usually, once you have selected a vehicle you draw up a buy-sell contract. The seller will try to have a deposit as high as possible and you as low as possible.. The contract MUST be subject to a successful traspaso process in a timely fashion!
  • Then, not necessarily in this order, the vehicle will have to be inspected physically by the Police (PN), which should issue a paper stating that there is nothing pending on the vehicle (like it being stolen).
  • Buy some stamps, certifying some signatures at various gov. offices.
  • Finally, file for a new matricula (registration-AND-deed-in-one).
... J-D.

I forgot to remind: You will also have to pay a transfer tax... which can about 2 or some % of what you are paying. Dealers will try to talk you into signing a "contract" stating a much lower price than the one you will eventually pay.
DO NOT. If there are issues later... THAT'S the contract they will pull and wave at you!

... J-D.

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Whatever you do, please check the CarFax on any vehicle you are considering. I import cars to the DR, and other places and believe me the miles always seem to change when the cars arrive to their new home.And many flood and previous salvage vehicles are imported to the DR.

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
Whatever you do, please check the CarFax on any vehicle you are considering. I import cars to the DR, and other places and believe me the miles always seem to change when the cars arrive to their new home.And many flood and previous salvage vehicles are imported to the DR.

If I would check them on Carfax I will never buy here in my life time. So my expectation is much more reasonable,realistic and achievable -- to find the one that at least can drive straight, can accept a correct wheel alignment, still has airbags (and they are in working condition), has engine and tranny that are not completely dead yet.

From what I see around even this task is not going to be easy.

Previous accidents, bondo, paint/body work, salvage,floods and rolled-back odometers I accept as an unavoidable given and see no chance to avoid or escape it and this will be the car I will gladly own and happily drive eventually.

Just let it at least be able to go the same direction that I need and have a strong engine and tranny - and I will be happy and content. Nobody in his/her right mind would ever sell a reliable, safe and good quality car, period. People drive it. People do not sell it.

I will never go further than to Santiago from Sosua and will never drive faster that 60 km (45 miles) per hour anyway. And daytime only.

I am not difficult. I am not demanding. I am not spoiled.

I am a very good buyer. Almost ideal. Carfax does not exist for me. I will change timing belt right away. The very same day. I know that I bought a quarter million miles car at least. I have no problem with it. I am not going to trust it anyway. Just to go for oranges, bread and water in Playero.

I appreciate all the good advice, gents! I value it sincerely.

Status
Not open for further replies.