utorrent and banda ancha

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
It is the end of the month, and thanks to the incredible speeds the last month, I have about 7 GB left of my 10 GB.

Today, I'm actually getting a downloadspeed from 1,1 MB/s compared to the 100 KB and less I'm trying to get used to (someone in Claro must have hit a wrong button today.... whahahaha (laughing out of misery))

So I thought I would do some downloading to get my 10 gigs worth... but I'm downloading at around 12 kbs, because of a portproblem according to utorrent...

anybody here who can give me some help and advice on this?

Thanks

P

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
This can be a bit complex and has to do with "forwarding ports' in your modem and router, if you have one. If that is the issue, It is not a simple thing to do without some research.

I use the banda ancha stick which Claro gave me, and that is where I'm stuck. Somehow, if I understand this correctly, I have to access the software of this device and open the port to utorrent. I know how to do this with a regular router, but how do I do that with this stick?

goodvin

Jul 23, 2007
You can try to find in the internet manual for your modem, and check first. Because usually this kind of modems don't have any kind of router inside, so more likely there won't be any "port forwarding" option there.
I am not sure that Codetel is really happy about your downloadings, so they easily can do something as well.
In utorrent you can test a ports for outside connection.
As I understand correctly "banda ancha" it just Wi-Fi, so your "banda ancha stick" - it is just ordinary wifi modem - shouldn't be any port forwarding option, there is only one IP and it's yours.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I have ongoing problems with utorrent also. I have to reboot my computer to get torrents to download, and then after a while of decent speeds just stop, even with proper port forwarding. I have DSL model and a wireless router and have manually opened ports in both along with a disabled firewall.

I suspect Claro throttles torrent sites. I'm not sure if anything can be done about that.

EM2Thrasher

Jun 29, 2008
Make sure you are using protocol encryption. This will prevent your ISP from know what you are sending/receiving. You will find the setting under the preferences, then in the bittorrent tab. set the outgoing to Forced and allow incoming legacy connections. You may also want to use a port not normally used by most bittorrent clients. I have mine set to port 30454.
Some ISP's restrict or limit bandwidth on the typical or normally used ports.
Make sure you have the following boxes checked under the connections tab
Enable UPnP port mapping
Enable NAT-PMP port mapping
Add Windows firewall exception

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Make sure you are using protocol encryption. This will prevent your ISP from know what you are sending/receiving. You will find the setting under the preferences, then in the bittorrent tab. set the outgoing to Forced and allow incoming legacy connections. You may also want to use a port not normally used by most bittorrent clients. I have mine set to port 30454.
Some ISP's restrict or limit bandwidth on the typical or normally used ports.
Make sure you have the following boxes checked under the connections tab
Enable UPnP port mapping
Add Windows firewall exception
I have all those set except for the port. I used a random selection by utorrent.

Still no luck.

goodvin

Jul 23, 2007
"Enable UPnP port mapping
Add Windows firewall exception"

And open your comp to anyone in the internet. No one should use this microsoft ****.
All you need is to turn on "protocol encryption" and manually configure NON STANDARD port + do manually forwarding. If it won't help - problems with Codetel internet.
What else, utorrent has a statistics of the download/upload speed, make it more detailed. And if you see something looks like "saw" (speed goes up-down up-down) - channel is overloaded.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
"Enable UPnP port mapping
Add Windows firewall exception"

And open your comp to anyone in the internet. No one should use this microsoft ****.
All you need is to turn on "protocol encryption" and manually configure NON STANDARD port + do manually forwarding. If it won't help - problems with Codetel internet.
What else, utorrent has a statistics of the download/upload speed, make it more detailed. And if you see something looks like "saw" (speed goes up-down up-down) - channel is overloaded.
Can you give specific instructions for port forwarding?

I'd be majorly appreciative and I know Peter/belgiank would be also...:classic:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
If I am not mistaken, the banda ancha is good for high speed until you reach like 4 gig and then it drops to 128bps for the rest of the month. I think you have used up your first 4 gig rapidly.
AZB

Feb 7, 2007
Why bother with torrent, when for a small monthly fee of about 10 dollars you can have the whole world of downloads available to you via rapidshare and megaupload.

There's not one single thing I wanted to download I would not find on rapidshare or megaupload.

Best of all, RS/MU downloads are over port 80 (http) so no throttling...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
If I am not mistaken, the banda ancha is good for high speed until you reach like 4 gig and then it drops to 128bps for the rest of the month. I think you have used up your first 4 gig rapidly.
AZB
He has the 10g "unlimited" plan. The speed slows to 128k ay 10g.

And he'd LIKE 128k after some of the speeds he's had...

goodvin

Jul 23, 2007
Ok, for any one who want to forward port check this "http://portforward.com".
But from the other hand utorrent should works good without any open ports.

Any way one need to forward 1 port, according to this

"8. What ports should I use for ?Torrent?

It is generally recommended to not use any port in the range 6881-6889. ?Torrent only uses one port, however, so you only need to forward one. It is best to use a port number above 10000."

But, I am not sure that you get external IP address when connect to the "banda ancha", if your IP is internal - "port forwarding" is useless.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
at this moment I have downloaded 2,8 GB, and uploaded 650 mb, this month. I would have liked to have done more, but with my speeds of banda ancha it is simply impssible (statistics provided by claro mobile partner).

Anyways this morning I had 350 kbs, and now I have 110

So this has nothing to do with banda ancha. That is another problem altogether, and I am planning on climbing the tower tomorrow to adjust the disc myself...:eek:gre:

how can I check whether the IP-adress is internal or external?

goodvin

Jul 23, 2007
"on climbing the tower tomorrow to adjust the disc myself" - what are going to do, I don't understand, sorry?

Usually if your comp. got from the DHCP server something like 192.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x - this is internal IP.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Ok, for any one who want to forward port check this "http://portforward.com".
But from the other hand utorrent should works good without any open ports.

Any way one need to forward 1 port, according to this

"8. What ports should I use for ?Torrent?

It is generally recommended to not use any port in the range 6881-6889. ?Torrent only uses one port, however, so you only need to forward one. It is best to use a port number above 10000."

But, I am not sure that you get external IP address when connect to the "banda ancha", if your IP is internal - "port forwarding" is useless.
I bought the portforward software and followed the directions.

Still no go.

goodvin

Jul 23, 2007
To: cobraboy
Can you tell me first 3 numbers X.X.X._. of your IP address, according to utorrent or "ipconfig", please?

Or, better, when you enter to "portforward.com" what is "Your external IP is"?

For ex. for me it shows "Your external IP is 200.88.90.51"

Last edited:

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Can you tell me first 3 numbers X.X.X._. of your IP address, according to utorrent or "ipconfig", please?

Or, better, when you enter to "portforward.com" what is "Your external IP is"?

For ex. for me it shows "Your external IP is 200.88.90.51"
My IP:200.88.234.209

goodvin

Jul 23, 2007

Your comp. should be reachable from internet. You can check it from within utorrent program. This test as well shows you if a port is open. It should be somewhere in "settings/network".
I haven't used utorrent for about 1,5 year, I use ktorrent in linux, but I don't have external IP and therefor I never thought about to forward any ports, it works without it, not so quickly, but works.

Another way to check is to enter this page:
"www.utorrent.com/testport?port=PORT", but instead of the "PORT" type your port number.

Last edited:

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

Your comp. should be reachable from internet. You can check it from within utorrent program. This test as well shows you if a port is open. It should be somewhere in "settings/network".
I haven't used utorrent for about 1,5 year, I use ktorrent in linux, but I don't have external IP and therefor I never thought about to forward any ports, it works without it, not so quickly, but works.

Another way to check is to enter this page:
"www.utorrent.com/testport?port=PORT", but instead of the "PORT" type your port number.
I have gone through every combination possible.

I used to be able to get fast utorrent downloads. Then they stopped, even when the little green ball on the bottom says I'm connected.

It's frustrating.:tired:

When I do a restart, sometimes the downloads will restart and I get rapid downloads. Then in a few minutes, they stop.

They only conclusion I draw is that Codetel doesn't like the downloads and throttles them to nothing.

goodvin

Jul 23, 2007
Hi
If you have little green ball - means that connection is OK. So, I suggest to leave utorrent working for several hours, for example for the night. And I am sure it starts to download much quicker. Sometimes it needs just to stay turned on.

Another good idea is to reduce "global open connections" in the utorrents network settings to 100, or may be less - say 70. It may help.

Last edited: