Barcelo Capella Juan Dolio??

CanWest66

May 11, 2008
Canada
Anyone been to the Barcelo Capella in Juan Dolio lately?
My wife and I will be on the south coast for four days in December and I was considering the Barcelo but have read mixed reviews. We will be there from a Monday to a Thursday. (I heard the weekends are to be avoided)
Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

CanWest

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
If you want all inclusive it is at best a three star, but there are many good restaurants in Juan Dolio so you may be better off going to a non all inclusive apart hotel such as Playa Real or Albatros. The alternative is Embassy suites which is inside the gated community of Metro Country Club but too far to walk to the restaurants. or you could rent an apartment in Costa del Sol and self cater too

matilda

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Minor correction to Matilda's post. That would be Plaza Real. Playa Real has been closed for a few years.
Capella is the top A1 in Juan Dolio but the top only has to be a 3* now.
Embassy suites is nice but...not on the beach and is across the highway from the beach. You would not want to walk from there to anywhere.
There is also Costa Caribe. Not great but not bad either for a couple of days.
I have stayed at all of them (not recently) and if making a choice now I would choose Plaza Real. They have continually improved while most of the others have gone down in quality. I do keep in contact with people in the know abourt JD.
Wherever you choose, if you live in the country make sure to barter the price as a residence price.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Something to add, Plaza Real is not all in however one can negotiate with them to have breakfast included. Within walking distance you'll find all kinds of good restaurants as also Matilda stated. Would hurry though because December is high season.

Minor correction to Matilda's post. That would be Plaza Real. Playa Real has been closed for a few years.
Capella is the top A1 in Juan Dolio but the top only has to be a 3* now.
Embassy suites is nice but...not on the beach and is across the highway from the beach. You would not want to walk from there to anywhere.
There is also Costa Caribe. Not great but not bad either for a couple of days.
I have stayed at all of them (not recently) and if making a choice now I would choose Plaza Real. They have continually improved while most of the others have gone down in quality. I do keep in contact with people in the know abourt JD.
Wherever you choose, if you live in the country make sure to barter the price as a residence price.

CanWest66

May 11, 2008
Canada
Thanks for all the good input. We stayed at Plaza Real before and found it quite acceptable. The Barcelo does not seem compelling enough at this time so we will go to plaza Real one more time. Any idea if those high rises across the street are near completion?

Tom

Collingwood

Dec 4, 2004
Barcello

Frank, I have stayed at both the Barcelo Capella & Coral Costa Caribe for 4 days each over the last month with my finance and toddler.

Barcelo Capella is nicer than Coral Costa Caribe and Barcelo's food selection was more varied and superior.

However 4 days was enough - AI's are too sterile for my liking and the same food and cheap drinks were just toooooo boring for me. My little boy however loved it.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Totally agree with you there.

Frank, I have stayed at both the Barcelo Capella & Coral Costa Caribe for 4 days each over the last month with my finance and toddler.

Barcelo Capella is nicer than Coral Costa Caribe and Barcelo's food selection was more varied and superior.

However 4 days was enough - AI's are too sterile for my liking and the same food and cheap drinks were just toooooo boring for me. My little boy however loved it.