Internet service

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
Assuming you have back-up electricity and UPS; is it possible to maintain uninterupted internet connection? How reliable are the providers?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
whahahahaha.... sorry... I just think that is a joke after my experiences today...

I'm not laughing at you... I commiserate... I have UPS, have a very good inverter... but I have to rely on banda ancha from Claro, and their service is...

right, I cannot use these words here...

5 hours without service...calling all their departments, to hear the same thing everytime... yes, we have 24 hour service, 7 days a week, but after 5 we cannot do anything at all, except to tell you that you will have to call back the next day...

And I just asked them... I get the message 'the external computer is down'... does this mean you guys are having a technical problem... simple question, and if they said yes... I could understand... happens everywhere... but they could not even answer that... so why be open?

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
whahahahaha.... sorry... I just think that is a joke after my experiences today...

I'm not laughing at you... I commiserate... I have UPS, have a very good inverter... but I have to rely on banda ancha from Claro, and their service is...

right, I cannot use these words here...

5 hours without service...calling all their departments, to hear the same thing everytime... yes, we have 24 hour service, 7 days a week, but after 5 we cannot do anything at all, except to tell you that you will have to call back the next day...

And I just asked them... I get the message 'the external computer is down'... does this mean you guys are having a technical problem... simple question, and if they said yes... I could understand... happens everywhere... but they could not even answer that... so why be open?

We have satellite internet here (I know nothing of banda ancha) and it is reasonably reliable considering our lack of power but we pay dearly for it.

goodvin

Jul 23, 2007

More important that you will pay for it, their contract doesn't provide for recount yours payments.
And it is very profitable business for them - clients pay always the same money, Codetel pay for the real internet traffic, so as less clients use it as much they can put to the pocket.
Do you think Codetel will solve this and other "problems" - no way.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
We have satellite internet here (I know nothing of banda ancha) and it is reasonably reliable considering our lack of power but we pay dearly for it.

please tell me... what's the cost for the installation and the monthly fee...

with all our dogs, we are never going to live in an area where dsl is available...

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
please tell me... what's the cost for the installation and the monthly fee...

with all our dogs, we are never going to live in an area where dsl is available...

Our situation exactly, can we discuss it next week as there are options which I believe are available that we cannot, currently, take full advantage of merely because we do not have US accounts.

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
Providers

How about the original question? Can someone tell me all the options for internet service and how reliable they are.

goodvin

Jul 23, 2007
The most reliable is ADSL from Codetel (I think), mostly because it works through the telephone wires and already well developed in main cities.
But, you have to remember that if you sign up the contract you can't stop it before its end without the penalty, even if service was awful or speed was much lower - they all (CP) do not care about it. They do not recount payments. They are not obligated by the contract to provide service always and provide appropriate speed. Everything can be different EXCEPT the payment.

All my amigas & amigos in Santo Domingo are happy with DSL Codetel, but speed at the day time always nearly 50% lower then it says in contract. At night - OK.

Correct me, if I was wrong! Please.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
The most reliable is ADSL from Codetel (I think), mostly because it works through the telephone wires and already well developed in main cities.
But, you have to remember that if you sign up the contract you can't stop it before its end without the penalty, even if service was awful or speed was much lower - they all (CP) do not care about it. They do not recount payments. They are not obligated by the contract to provide service always and provide appropriate speed. Everything can be different EXCEPT the payment.

All my amigas & amigos in Santo Domingo are happy with DSL Codetel, but speed at the day time always nearly 50% lower then it says in contract. At night - OK.

My contract, I think is for 128 kb/s. Everytime I test the speed it is higher than 400 kb/s. So in my case, I can't complain, and the speed suits my need.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

We have had Codetel DSL problems for the last 2 months...ongoing. Techs admit they have problems but don't know why.

We have received over $RD5000 credit because of the problems. It's possible, but you have to be a Pit Yorkie to get it.

goodvin

Jul 23, 2007
Yes it possible, if the problem is really serious.

But, most annoying when speed is low for the whole day. In this case impossible to get anything back.

kflow11

Oct 22, 2009
Broadband

I hear a lot of talk about DSL and none about broadband internet services....does that mean DR does not have broadband services?

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I hear a lot of talk about DSL and none about broadband internet services....does that mean DR does not have broadband services?

Broadband doesn't imply a particular technology... just the data transfer rate. Broadband is a rather nebulous term (in the US the FCC deems anything over 768 Kbps as "broadband").

Broadband speeds are available all over the DR. I'm in the east (Bavaro) and the only broadband internet I have access to is from TriCom. It's a wireless technology called WiMAX (not to be confused with Wi-Fi... it's very different). WiMAX can operate over many kilometers.

My experience with TriCom has been very favorable. I'm consistently getting about 1.5 Mbps (my contract stipulates 1.4 Mbps) and it rarely fluctuates and very rarely is out of service. I pay US$130 per month.

My internet stays in service if the power goes out (that is as long as my UPS lasts) but that's not much of an issue since power outages are very infrequent here.

kflow11

Oct 22, 2009
Broadband doesn't imply a particular technology... just the data transfer rate. Broadband is a rather nebulous term (in the US the FCC deems anything over 768 Kbps as "broadband").

Broadband speeds are available all over the DR. I'm in the east (Bavaro) and the only broadband internet I have access to is from TriCom. It's a wireless technology called WiMAX (not to be confused with Wi-Fi... it's very different). WiMAX can operate over many kilometers.

My experience with TriCom has been very favorable. I'm consistently getting about 1.5 Mbps (my contract stipulates 1.4 Mbps) and it rarely fluctuates and very rarely is out of service. I pay US$130 per month.

My internet stays in service if the power goes out (that is as long as my UPS lasts) but that's not much of an issue since power outages are very infrequent here.

Whoa!! I didnt know it would be that much ($130?).....That price more than double here in the states. Also, DSL here in the states (specifically Atlanta) for me is slower than broadband. Its something about getting internet from the phone jack bothers me, but thats just me...it may be perfect for others. I have had internet since it was invented: Dial-Up, DSL and Broadband (Home), T1, T3, T4 (Work). Once a person gets comfortable with high upload/download speeds, its hard to go back :)

kflow11

Oct 22, 2009
Bundles

I forgot to ask....do you know if they offer bundle packages (internet, cable and phone/cell) like here in the states? Just trying to plan accordingly for my arrival next month.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I believe there are bundled services available but I'm not familiar with any specific packages. Maybe someone else has some info.

goodvin

Jul 23, 2007
I forgot to ask....do you know if they offer bundle packages (internet, cable and phone/cell) like here in the states? Just trying to plan accordingly for my arrival next month.

Yes, of course. For example, if one rent a flat without phone line, Codetel will gives - phone line, and provide phone and DSL internet; WindTelecom provide phone, internet and TV (but I don't know what quality is).

kflow11

Oct 22, 2009
Yes, of course. For example, if one rent a flat without phone line, Codetel will gives - phone line, and provide phone and DSL internet; WindTelecom provide phone, internet and TV (but I don't know what quality is).

wow...ok...thanks

I will see if I can locate them on the internet. If anyone out there with other companies, please share. It would be nice to shop around and compare prices. Thanks for you knowledge ladies and gents!

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
wow...ok...thanks

I will see if I can locate them on the internet. If anyone out there with other companies, please share. It would be nice to shop around and compare prices. Thanks for you knowledge ladies and gents!

I live in SD and Samana,el limon...I have claro internet service here in SD,with their second fastest speeds,and am happy with it...but i do not work on the internet..i pay about 800 pesos for internet,and about 400 pesos a month for the phone line..in samana i have claros banda ancha attached to my lap top with the unlimited usage for about 2000 pesos a month...so i pay about 100 dollars a month for these services...

remember,this is a third world country,just beginning to arrive...in samana,cell phone service just arrived about 6 months ago,before that,no phone service...

no internet,no cable tv....and it goes on...
bob