House or appartment

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
We (my wife and I) are in the process of moving (back) to Santo Domingo from Europe. After arriving we will first spend some time at my in-laws house and try to find an appartment to rent within a few weeks. Our goal is to buy a house or appartment once settled.

We listed the pro and cons of houses and appartments and came with the following reasons to chose for a house or an appartment:

HOUSE
space
outside area (especially for the kids)
no shared building
privacy

APPARTMENT
safe
no mosquitos (on higher levels) (prevent dengue etc)
house is not 'alone' while on a trip
more central (within budget)

Do you guys have any opinions on preferring a house or an appartment and based on what?

Thanks!

gr. Mauricio

Nov 25, 2008
I myself have lived in apts and now own a house, it does not compare, HOUSE

but you have to live within your budget, in SD they are expensive

all depends on location

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Well, back in april, while on a visit in Santo Domingo, we saw a lot of houses and appartments in our price range and found that houses in e.g. altos de arroyo hondo can be found for the same price as a reasonable appartment in the center. I have always sticked to the opinion that I prefer a house (after living in an appartment in SD before and now living in a house in europe), even if it means to live 20 minutes from the center and maybe double at peak hour, but we are re-considering thinking about safety and risk of dengue and other mosquito caused diseases

Another option is a small penthouse just outside the city center, combining the safety of an appartment building with outside space, to not feel so 'encerrado'.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
security

i would add a bit plus for security
on the apartment side

I simply do not worry here in the little condo development since I am surrounded by people and everyone keeps an eye out....

I would feel very vulnerable in a house. I think that you would have to get a watchman, etc etc etc.... That said, of course, it all depends on your budget since there are many breathtaking houses that are completely enclosed and lots of areas that have great security...