Windshield repair business status?

Manzana

Jan 23, 2007
A question for residents, as I never paid attention on vacation. What's the windshield repair business like in the DR? You know, the business of fixing stone strikes and chips before the cracks spread and the whole windshield has to be replaced. Does comprehensive auto insurance in the DR typically cover it? Have you noticed the service offered outside of auto glass places? Do local shade tree mechanics do this? Any idea what they charge? TIA.

Nov 25, 2008
In Santiago theirs 2 companies side by side [about 100 feet apart], its not a money making business, also mechanic shops now offer this.
Insurance companies does cover it, but a 4=8 inch crack is about $28.00 to repair

Spec Ed Teacher

Apr 21, 2009
In Santiago theirs 2 companies side by side [about 100 feet apart], its not a money making business, also mechanic shops now offer this.
Insurance companies does cover it, but a 4=8 inch crack is about $28.00 to repair

Can you tell me where these are? And what I might expect to pay for a new windshield? There are 2 cracks going pretty much from top to bottom on the drivers side.

Any chance either of these have someone who speaks english (I know - pushing it here) or should I take someone with? We've just started lessons - our spanish is REALLY basic still ;)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Every "crystal" shop, and many general mechanic shops do windshield crack repair.

We had two stone cracks repaired by one of the shops jorgesarduysousa mentioned (the green one) for like $RD800. Both are a couple blocks towrad Puerto Plata across the street from the big cockfighting stadium on Estrella Sadhala.

One guy does it in the park across the street from the hospital across from the Palace of Justice in Santiago. No doubt more all over.

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
I had a small chip in the windshield repaired last year for about 2000 pesos in Santo Domingo.
Can't remember the shop, however, I have had the pleasure of watching the crack spread accross the window over the same period so that now it reaches half way through the passenger side. Can;t get the windshield at SD Motors, so I have to send it in from the states and have a garage/technical shop install it.

Manzana

Jan 23, 2007
Windshield

I had a small chip in the windshield repaired last year for about 2000 pesos in Santo Domingo.
Can't remember the shop, however, I have had the pleasure of watching the crack spread accross the window over the same period so that now it reaches half way through the passenger side. Can;t get the windshield at SD Motors, so I have to send it in from the states and have a garage/technical shop install it.

Ouch. I take it that there was no warranty or it started up again just after it expired.

NYerinDR

Jan 9, 2004
Hi,

Is there any windshield repair shops in Sousa or Puerto Plata ? I have 2 small dings in the windshield, and I don't want to drive all the way to Santiago.

I know I can repair that in the States for around $20.00 for each spot, and in 15 mins.

Thank you for any informations.

NYerinDR

Feb 7, 2007
I have used Dominican Glass Repair in Santiago about 2 and 3 years back. I used them 3 times, one time to fix a star crack on a rental car, and two times to remove wiper scratches on my own car. They did a good job, and it was about 1000 pesos. I even drove to ST from SD to do it, because Dominican Glass in SD was a laughcake.