Info on Costambar & Area

C

Cathy

We are staying at a time share resort - Club Villas Jazmin in Costmbar, in February and are not familiar with that area ie resturants, shippong, etc. If anyone out there knows the area
any info you could provide would be greatly appreicaited!
(Having a heck of a time finding anything on the Web!!) THanks!

S

Susanne

Costambar is a very small, mainly residential area, just to the West of Puerto Plata. I will try to describe it - please bear in mind, though, that it is now 13 months ago since I visited. Something could have happened or changed since.

Everything is quiet, safe and peaceful. It is cleaner than a lot of places in the DR. You will mainly - but not only - find fairly well to do Dominicans and quite a few ex-pats in Costambar. There is a school, a taxi station, a nine hole golf course (aptly names Los Mangos) and about a dozen restaurants. We enjoyed the Italian one greatly as well as the Dominican one just by the gate to Costambar (yes, there is a gate to the whole community).

Shopping? Not much. You will find a grocery store or two in the village and a super market right by the gate. Enough for everyday items but for bigger shopping you will have to go to Puerto Plata. This doesn't take much more than ten minutes by gua-gua (shared taxi) or taxi, so it isn't a problem.

Inside Costambar you can walk everywhere. I have heard people (only Americans - are you guys trying to replace your legs with tires?;-))complain about distances, but from one end to the other it is hardly more than a mile and we never found it strenous although we had two small children along.

The beach is long, wide and sheltered, fringed with sea grape, mango trees and almond trees. Most places there is coral in the water so bring sandals or look out! The beach in the next community West of Costambar - which is named Cofresi - is better for swimming. You can walk there in about twenty minutes if you follow the shore, but you will have to cross a river. It isn't deep but you can't help getting wet. It's fun and the view on the way is lovely. If you don't feel like this, simply take a taxi. In Cofresi you will find another good selection of restaurants and bars as well as a few souvenir shops.

All in all Costambar is very enjoyable and although there are some tourists (a few apartments, a good B&B named Villas Olas Tropicales, some villas, a small all inclusive etc.) it is very relaxed and closer to everyday life than a lot of other places.

Depending on how long you are staying I would consider going for a trip to Samana for two or three days. You can take the bus from Puerto Plata. It is fast, cheap and comfortable. It leaves in the morning. Samana is another world altogether. You can find more about it on www.samana.net (link below).

Enjoy your stay there.

Regards,
Susanne

P

Prof. Tiberius Mineola

I agree with Susanne's comments. Be sure to visit Cofresi; Chris' Restaurant is worth the trip, a short cab ride. Also, be sure to visit Puerto Plata for a day; safe & very interesting. Get a ride to Parque Central; then walk @ for 4 - 6 blocks @ the park - any direction. Villas Jasmine is a gem of a time share resort; very clean, well maintained, good food; pleasant buffet breakfast; very nice location if you like the beach - @ 5" walk. Ask for Patrick. The help is very pleasant; they can suggest a few excursions; taxi drivers, available by the day, are abundant. Enjoy.

D

Diana

I went there with my family for Thanksgiving. The place is really nice. The community is small and seems very safe. There are two small markets there within walking distance for soda, milk, bread stuff like that. Better to go to the supermarket in the city. Take a taxi there. The staff at club villas is very helpful and will guide you as to where to go etc. No great restaurants nearby, but some are in the city that are good. Food at the villas is very good. I think I posted a message for you nce before. Good luck and have a wonderful time. You will love it!