Best Stereo Store

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
After 5 years of fighting the sea salt on the ocean, my 600w Sony Receiver I brought from the US has finally passed on. A moment of silence, please (pun intended).

So, who knows of the best place in the capital or Santiago to acquire a suitable replacement? I'm thinking Onkyo, Sony, Pioneer or the like. It needs to be very top end, 600watts or more, with iPod compatibility. I know places like La Sirena, Plaza Lama and Pricesmart have some stereos but I need something a whole notch or two ahead of that.

Any ideas?

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
McIntosh...The very best, I believe is available in the capital.
But take a deep breath when asking the price. I have been a Mac owner for 30+ years and have enjoyed every minute with my systems.

Try a pair of Mcintosh MC1000 ...1000 monowatts each.
2000 watts total power. As Marco would say, this is the bomb.....

Last edited:

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
After 5 years of fighting the sea salt on the ocean, my 600w Sony Receiver I brought from the US has finally passed on. A moment of silence, please (pun intended).

So, who knows of the best place in the capital or Santiago to acquire a suitable replacement? I'm thinking Onkyo, Sony, Pioneer or the like. It needs to be very top end, 600watts or more, with iPod compatibility. I know places like La Sirena, Plaza Lama and Pricesmart have some stereos but I need something a whole notch or two ahead of that.

Any ideas?

I posted this a while ago - it may be what you're looking for.....

Top end has got to be Ruiz (the Bose people, but stock other brands too)
They're on the west side of Lincoln just a very little north from the junction with 27 de Febrero. Try a search for Bose on DR1, I think I posted their full address and phones awhile back. I believe they have an outlet in the CitiTower too.

Generally, hypermarkets and supermarket/ferreteria chain stores are not the best place to buy electronics, their range and service (particularly after sales) is, reportedly, not great (forgive the Brit understatement).

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Bose

there is a Bose store in the Capital.. Robert could tell you where... and I know that PriceSmart has the little Bose speakers that I use

after years of travel I simply adapted to the system of traveling with my $100 Bose speakers, and my headphones, which I plug into either my laptop, or a radio or a disc player... ok. so perhaps it is primitive but it fills the room as well as any set of solid state system I ever had

plus it all packs into a suitcase for travel.

plus it does not inspire envy in passers by

plus if one component breaks

i do not weep and wail

just a suggestion

do not know what is compatible with the ipod since i only have the shuffle and am still stuck on the pc

which is a lot cheaper here, as well

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
add

wanted to add that i bought a little travel computer, one of the minis, last time I was back.. and had the apartment wified

so now I can listen to all my favorite news stations (of course, NPR) while I cook dinner and hardly even know that I left the States....

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
Thanks all. I think the Ruiz store might be what I am looking for as I need to see the top end products. I'm fortunately aware of the cost of these things in this country but grabbing one from the US will just take too much time for now. I have guests coming and they need their boogie music!!

Thanks, all!

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
Ruiz Centro Stereo might be the best choice for top end electronics in santo domingo. besides Bose, they carry also Sony and Pioneer.
abraham lincoln 410 phone: 809 566 5555, they have a store also in Acropolis center.
Molina, in Ave. tiradentes, centro comercial naco is another option.
I will also check Plaza Lama in 27de febrero esq. winston churchill. they also carry some good stuffs, as well the new Jumbo store in Ave. Luperon.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
Thank you, all! It was a major shopping success today. A new DENON receiver is soothing my nerves with crystal clear sound. Exceptional service provided by Ruiz as well. Let me poke, touch, argue and negotiate everything with a smile on their faces. Even filled the wife up with coffee (which might be a strategy, come to think of it).

Thank you all so very much!