Playa Fronton and Playa Rincon Beaches

byington

Nov 2, 2009
I am planning a honeymoon to Samana. I would like to take my wife to Playa Rincon and Playa Fronton. I was wondering if it is possible to drive a car without 4 wheel drive to Playa Rincon? I would also like to know directions to get to Playa Fronton. I am on a budget so anything we can do ourselves without hiring a guide or paying anyone would be great. Any information would help.

caipiranha

Feb 15, 2008
Playa Rincon: The road is very bad, but if you drive carefully a normal car will also do.

Playa Fronton: In April water taxis were offered from Las Galeras and from the Grand Paradise Samana to Playa Madame and Playa Fronton. You also can go to Fronton by mule, but you?ll have to climb down (and up again) to the beach. I was told, that it would be also possible to go nearby by car and walk the rest, but I never tried that, so I can?t give you this information, sorry.

Saludos

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We are in both places often.

The road to Playa Rincon sucks, but it's doable. There are also water taxis from Las Galeras to Playa Rincon.

Playa Fronton is hard to access. You have to either do it by foot, horse/mule or water taxi. Plus the services there are minimal.

miozio

May 23, 2009
The road to Playa Rincon is really bad, but an offroad would handle it. There is one thing that disturbed us. After 15 minutes on the beach a police officer approached us by motorcycle and said it was dangerous to stay longer as there were criminals with guns who could take our valuables. he told us to leave immediately for our own safety. he patrolled us all the way back to the main road. he was very nice and didn't ask for any tips for the service. We thought this whole thing was wierd! It happened a week ago!

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
The road to Playa Rincon is really bad, but an offroad would handle it. There is one thing that disturbed us. After 15 minutes on the beach a police officer approached us by motorcycle and said it was dangerous to stay longer as there were criminals with guns who could take our valuables. he told us to leave immediately for our own safety. he patrolled us all the way back to the main road. he was very nice and didn't ask for any tips for the service. We thought this whole thing was wierd! It happened a week ago!
WHAT????????

What time of day was that?

We've been there a couple of dozen times and NEVER had anything closely resembling that happen. I'm not sure I've ever seen any LE in the area.

Additionally, buses take that road down to Rincon. It's rough but doable. The part going down is all hardpack rock...because it's a riverbed when it rains a lot.

However, we have heard that armed ladrones have gone after folks hiking to Playa Fronton.

byington

Nov 2, 2009
Thank you all for the help. I received some information about the trail for Playa Fronton...I was wondering if you could tell me more about the criminals along the trail to Playa Fronton? That is scary!

miozio

May 23, 2009
WHAT????????

What time of day was that?

We've been there a couple of dozen times and NEVER had anything closely resembling that happen. I'm not sure I've ever seen any LE in the area.

Additionally, buses take that road down to Rincon. It's rough but doable. The part going down is all hardpack rock...because it's a riverbed when it rains a lot.

However, we have heard that armed ladrones have gone after folks hiking to Playa Fronton.

It was around 2pm, broad day light. We left the car under a tree and walked along the shore, 5 of us ( 2 married couples and a babygirl. ) The policeman wearing the uniform on a policia bike!

caipiranha

Feb 15, 2008

Did these "ladrones" only follow the folks or did they also rob them?

Some Dominicans I know at Samana carry a machete most time of the day - for general use - perhaps to kill a coconut - nice and harmless fellows, only looking dangerous.

But I also heard/read a lot about robberies at Samana - the beaches around Las Terrenas, Playa Madame, Playa Rincon. So I never take any values with me when leaving the hotel.

The securest, quickest and easiest way to Fronton is the water taxi.

Saludos

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Did these "ladrones" only follow the folks or did they also rob them?

Some Dominicans I know at Samana carry a machete most time of the day - for general use - perhaps to kill a coconut - nice and harmless fellows, only looking dangerous.

But I also heard/read a lot about robberies at Samana - the beaches around Las Terrenas, Playa Madame, Playa Rincon. So I never take any values with me when leaving the hotel.

The securest, quickest and easiest way to Fronton is the water taxi.

Saludos
The road to Playa Fronton off the main road to Las Galeras gets pretty isolated, and the Boca del Diablo area is a looong way from help.

We've only gone back there in a group.

byington

Nov 2, 2009
Thank you again for all the help. I am very excited to travel to the different beaches in a few weeks. I was also planning on taking my wife on a horseback ride along the beach. Can anyone tell me a good place and price to get horses?

caipiranha

Feb 15, 2008
I was also planning on taking my wife on a horseback ride along the beach. Can anyone tell me a good place and price to get horses?

At Las Galeras I really enjoyed these tours :really good horses, great guiding, but individual trips (Playa Rincon) are possible, too.

I also remember a ranch at Las Terrenas, called "Cedric?s Ranch", but I don?t know if it still exists. In LT you had to follow the way to Playa las Ballenas and than turn left, following its traffic signs. 2 years ago they offered tours to Playa Coson, one of the best beaches on Samana.

Near to Playa Limon there?s also a possibility to rent horses, please ask local people, Playa Limon is a perfect place for long gallopades along a beach.

Saludos (and sorry about my bad English)

byington

Nov 2, 2009
At Las Galeras I really enjoyed these tours :really good horses, great guiding, but individual trips (Playa Rincon) are possible, too.

I also remember a ranch at Las Terrenas, called "Cedric?s Ranch", but I don?t know if it still exists. In LT you had to follow the way to Playa las Ballenas and than turn left, following its traffic signs. 2 years ago they offered tours to Playa Coson, one of the best beaches on Samana.

Near to Playa Limon there?s also a possibility to rent horses, please ask local people, Playa Limon is a perfect place for long gallopades along a beach.

Saludos (and sorry about my bad English)

Your English is very good. Thank you for your help. I will do some research to find a great horseback tour.

CatherineD

Sep 3, 2006
Horse Back Riding

Karin from La Rancheta does nice horseback tours.

You can also take a boat from the main beach in Las Galeras to both of these beaches.

Ctehrine

toursamanawithterry

Jan 30, 2009
I hope that this post doesn't get misconstrued as advertising. I would never take people to Madame or Fronton on foot without a local that I trust. I take people all over the island but I would never go it alone on any of the beaches around here that you have to walk in to. The best bet would be to take a tour boat there or hire the boat from a reputable operator. In my opinion, unless you speak fluent Spanish and have lived here for a long time, it would be stupid for a tourist to walk even in a group to either of these beaches to save money.