Santo Domingo Country Club

nygoesdr

Jun 15, 2009
Does anyone have any info on the Santo Domingo CC?? I visited the club last week when I was in SD and looks like a very well kept operation. I was told that you would need two members and $1.5M RD to join. Is this $$ a bond or one time fee?
What is the make-up of the members? A snooty bunch or somewhat down to earth??

Thanks
NYgoesdr

Sep 22, 2009
Does anyone have any info on the Santo Domingo CC?? I visited the club last week when I was in SD and looks like a very well kept operation. I was told that you would need two members and $1.5M RD to join. Is this $$ a bond or one time fee?
What is the make-up of the members? A snooty bunch or somewhat down to earth??

Thanks
NYgoesdr

SD Country Club membership is composed of basically the "who's who" in crony business and cornerstone family blood of DR. I am personally not aware of any elite club anywhere in the world that does not come with its own sub-culture, unless you are speaking of a municipal course in Jersey (Budweiser-guzzling gamblers and fanatic sports- goes looking for a bar fight)

I do not "think" they are looking for you to secure your membership with a debt vehicle either.

Why don't you go down and speak to someone in adminstration? They will be happy to go over the terms and qualifications.

nygoesdr

Jun 15, 2009
Thanks for the info Mangu

I am a member of a club in NY and they require a $150K fee that is held as a bond - on their end. If and when you decide to leave the club $$ are returned. You have a minimum $$ that you need to spend in the club each year.

Are you a member of the SDCC?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I understand that it is sort of a bond or "share" as I heard it.

If you play golf or tennis, it is a great place to be. It's membership, like any such place, is probably the better element of the Dominican society. Some are really cool, and others are, well you know, like "others"...

HB

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
It's 1.5 Million Pesos fee, NON REFUNDABLE!, if accepted. You have to be sponsored by 3 members that had being themselves members for at least 5 years, and further your application is publicly posted on the club grounds for at least 1 month so if any member knows any reason that the applicant does not meet the criteria (good social/moral conduct and customs) can notify the 5 member board that has to vote unanimously on the application. There are confirmed stories of notorious and not-so-notorious "unsavory" applicants that have ben rejected, some of them have asked how much does the whole club costs so they can buy it! These people were known at the time to posses the net worth to actually carry the purchase; Matter-of-factly they were terselly rejected -no explanations-, when they give one they just say the applications are halted because there are not more shares to be sold. The by-laws are currently in spanish, but in 1920 when the club was founded by american citizens which played golf in what is today the baseball "Estadio Quisqueya" grounds they were drafted in english. By the way The Club or "The Country" as is known by its members was the first non-for-profit entity created under executive order 520 of 1920 (Non-for-Profit Organizations legislation) dictated by Admiral Knapp in the first american ocupation of the DR (No english exam is necessary tough, but being fluent wouldn't hurt you at the links!). Members are not stuffy, you just meet the 2% percent of dominicans that know to distinguish and use cutlery, do not throw garbage in the floor nor shout when they speak, do not like bachata and their families know each other for more than 4 generations. So its a exclusive and expensive club. Difficult -not impossible- to become a member, but if you do, you'll be surrounded by old traditional, well manered members (The ultimate place for dominican high-powered networking) that recognize that in these times of social mutability and instability, high standards are hard to come by, but wanted; and yes I am a member, thak you.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Robert u missed this part

(good social/moral conduct and customs)