Making Miracles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 21, 2007
Not as a means of fundraising, but rather as an effort to raise awareness, I am writing this (apologetically long) posting about one of many families being helped by Dominican Crossroads, USA, the non-profit run by ?Dr. Bob,? known by most as the North Coast vet by Coastal.

About a month ago, we began assisting a Haitian refugee mother and her mal-nourished, hydro-encephalic baby, Carlos Miguel. The baby was 6 months old and weighed 7 pounds. When he came to us, he was covered with fungus and had cradle cap.

We took the mother and baby to Cabarete Medical Center, where we were told the baby needed a shunt in order to survive. However, before the operation could be done, he needed to be healthy and nourished.

For the next month, Dr. Garcia, the pediatrician from CMC, worked with the mother, teaching proper nutrition and hygiene. Dominican Crossroads provided housing for the mother and baby and necessary food, diapers, and medications.

Two weeks ago, a renown doctor from Belgium volunteered her services to perform the operation.

The hospital continued follow up treatment and consults, while Dominican Crossroads paid for the services and support.

Within one month, Carlos Miguel gained 5 pounds. After much care, he was ready to return with his mother to their home in Montellano. His two sisters were there waiting with friends.

This week, we received the news that during the time Carlos and his mother have been in our care tending to Carlos? medical needs, his mother lost her house. Although ready to return home, now, there is no home to return to. Her rent was 1000 pesos a month.

Such are the struggles of the poorest of poor. For those of you who do not know, Dr. Bob runs a clinic two times a week from his veterinarian office. A Haitian doctor does the consults.

This is only one case of the 60 or so we deal with each week. Tomorrow, I am taking one of his patients, an HIV positive women, to Puerto Plata for a blood transfusion.

If you use Dr. Bob?s services for your pets, please next time you go, say thank you for the work he does. If you find it within your heart to offer volunteer services or donations, know that Dr. Bob has no one receiving pay from his non-profit. Only volunteer hours and donations make miracles happen.

And miracle makers are in short supply.

Lindsey

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Thank you Lindsey for taking the time to tell people about Dr. Bob's work away from the animals. We sent a visiting physician's assistant from US to sit in on this clinic with the Haitian doctor a couple of years back and he was both impressed and humbled. I'm glad you raised people's awareness about this because Dr. Bob himself is very self-effacing and rarely tells people unless really pushed.

If you get a chance to look at your emails before leaving in the morning, please do so.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
This is a wonderful story and does much to help highlight to many the good deeds and efforts of Dr. Bob and the other volunteers of Dominican Crossroads. He is an example to us all of how, one by one, we can help make a difference in the lives of those less fortunate than ourselves. Every little bit helps and we should all do what we can, even if it is only offering financial donations or volunteering a few hours of time.

Next time I am in Dr. Bob's I am going to give him a donation of USD $500 from Villa Castellamonte to help. I challenge everyone here to match some or part of this donation to help him continue what wonderful work he is doing. Are you willing?

Jason Matthews
Owner, Villa Castellamonte

Aug 21, 2007
This is a wonderful story and does much to help highlight to many the good deeds and efforts of Dr. Bob and the other volunteers of Dominican Crossroads. He is an example to us all of how, one by one, we can help make a difference in the lives of those less fortunate than ourselves. Every little bit helps and we should all do what we can, even if it is only offering financial donations or volunteering a few hours of time.

Next time I am in Dr. Bob's I am going to give him a donation of USD $500 from Villa Castellamonte to help. I challenge everyone here to match some or part of this donation to help him continue what wonderful work he is doing. Are you willing?

Jason Matthews
Owner, Villa Castellamonte

I just returned home from my day of taking one HIV+ patient to the public hospital in PP for blood transfusions and working Dr. Bob's clinic, where the another HIV+ woman now looks near death's door. Aside from them, we saw a child with multiple fractures in her wrist and arm that were more than 2 weeks old, an old man with a suspicious lump near his thyroid, a man whose x-ray shows something unusual with his heart, a young man with hepatitis, and about 25 other men, women, and children with miscellaneous problems.

Thus, Lambada's kind words of support and Jason Matthews' extremely generous offer are welcome gifts after a hard day's work.

Thanks to both of you.

Please know that the support that you and other's offer is truly making a difference. Anyone wishing to see this work in action is welcome to observe the Dominican Crossroads Clinic at Dr. Bob's on Mondays and Thursdays, from 3 pm until 6 pm. Patients begin lining up in the morning hours, willing to wait all day. (This coming Monday, November 9, is a holiday. The clinic will not operate.)

While we ex-patriates can take advantage of all this country has to offer, we must not turn our heads to the reality and struggles of many.

And to those of you who contribute on a personal level to your own causes, thank you as well. Each bit helps.

Lindsey

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Wow, very impressive, angels work indeed.

I find some comfort knowing there are humble and generous people out there helping the less-fortunate and giving them chances they may never otherwise have.

With sincere respect and admiration.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Admirable and wonderful work undertaken for these people by all involved.

There were a number of people there beginning to make a queue when I passed by at well before 11 am.

As you suggest, Lindsey, every little bit helps to achieve large tasks.

Aug 21, 2007
And just one more posting which I am making very reluctantly. I received a call from Dr. Bob this morning. The mother of the hydro-encephalic baby who lost her home while the baby recuperated with Dominican Crossroads returned with the baby to Montellano to live with a friend. Last night the friend's house burnt to the ground.

Everything was lost.

The mother and baby Carlos Miguel are now back in our care.

So sad.

Lindsey

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Damn. You wouldn't blame religious minded people for at least having a few doubts, under these circumstances................how much more does this poor woman (& her friends) have to put up with? And yes, we know, don't we.........a lifetime of it.

More power to your elbow for involving yourself in this sort of support work, Lindsey. I know full well how stressful it can be, more so for a volunteer than for a professional worker. You be sure to take plenty of breaks and look after yourself, too, won't you? And if you need it, get someone to listen to the stresses you go through with this. See, that's yet another way volunteers can help, as a support system to the frontline workers...........

Status
Not open for further replies.