"Real" debit cards from DR banks?

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Do any banks issue debit cards that function with or without a pin... like the ones issued from US banks? I just opened up an account at Banco Popular in Bavaro (it took 2 tries.. the first branch I tried said my reference letter from my US bank was insufficient... went to another branch and they didn't even question it). When I got the debit card for the account I quickly realized it's a Maestro card so it only works with a pin. I suppose they do this because the credit card style debit cards (the ones with the Visa or MasterCard logo) are too susceptible to fraud?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Do any banks issue debit cards that function with or without a pin... like the ones issued from US banks? I just opened up an account at Banco Popular in Bavaro (it took 2 tries.. the first branch I tried said my reference letter from my US bank was insufficient... went to another branch and they didn't even question it). When I got the debit card for the account I quickly realized it's a Maestro card so it only works with a pin. I suppose they do this because the credit card style debit cards (the ones with the Visa or MasterCard logo) are too susceptible to fraud?

decided to answer with a pm

S

sheepshanx

Maestro is Mastercard ansd I m not sure what you mean but my debit style credt card requires a PIN at a POS location and is accepted as a credit card at other style transactions.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
My debit card from my US bank (which is attached to my checking account) allows me to use the card anywhere I can use a credit card...even online. It was my understanding the Maestro card is limited to point-of-sale transactions and requires either a signature or PIN code. (Sorry, I was a little off in my explanation in my original post).

Visa makes a distinction between them calling the credit card style card a "Visa Debit" and the point-of-sale only card "Visa Electron". MasterCard is more nebulous about the whole thing in that Maestro cards work differently in different countries.

So I guess what I'm trying to confirm is that the debit card issued by Banco Popular is a point-of-sale only card.... I can't use it to purchase items online. When I tried to get clarification at the bank the woman just gave me a blank stare and didn't seem to know what I was talking about.

waynton12

Apr 26, 2011
I know that this is 2 years old, but I do have one comment that might help people
if they ever find this post :)

DEBIT Card - it is a simple ATM card, works with PIN number.
I prefer them over credit cards because your account can't go below zero!
If you do not have enough money on it, it's useless to anybody who steals it,
specially if they do not know your PIN.
However they can buy stuff from internet, but it takes one visit to
bank to figure out what has been ordered.
I have 2 debit cards - one with my savings, the other one with lower amount
of money on it - I take that one to shopping.
The other one is safe :)

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I know that this is 2 years old, but I do have one comment that might help people
if they ever find this post :)

DEBIT Card - it is a simple ATM card, works with PIN number.
I prefer them over credit cards because your account can't go below zero!
If you do not have enough money on it, it's useless to anybody who steals it,
specially if they do not know your PIN.
However they can buy stuff from internet, but it takes one visit to
bank to figure out what has been ordered.
I have 2 debit cards - one with my savings, the other one with lower amount
of money on it - I take that one to shopping.
The other one is safe :)

If it has a Visa/MC logo on it, it can be used as a credit card, & you DO NOT need the PIN to make a purchase, it may even have overdraft, hold on to your card!

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
You need to ask for a CHEQUERA ELECTRONICA. Its a debit card that comes with the Mastercard logo and can be use everywhere (including USA) without a pin.
Ask for the Platinum card.

waynton12

Apr 26, 2011
Yes, I forgot about logo.
True, if it has Visa or MC logo it does have overdraft.
I meant Visa Electron, that's what I use all the time.

So, are there Visa Electron cards or just Visa\MC cards?

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
The debit cards in the U.S. mainly come with both options. There are some pos places where it is only accepted as debit. The reason is the merchant is charged a percent of the transaction. Western union will only let you use it as a debit card. In the U.S. it is illegal to charge more for the use of a credit card. I've been told by some merchants in the DR that it would cost more if I used a credit card, but they would trust me to bring cash the next day. This is probably part of the reason U.S. credit cards charge 3% on charges there.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I couldn't get my Banco Popular debit card (Maestro) to work in Europe (UK, Germany and Czech Republic), this is despite the bank assuring me it would work.

Feb 7, 2007
Update an "true" VISA debit cards issued in the DR:

BHD - with savings or payroll account, VISA DEBIT, ATM w/PIN, POS & OFFLINE w/o PIN, with CVV
LEON - with savings or payroll account, VISA DEBIT, ATM w/PIN, POS w/o PIN, NO OFFLINE, no CVV
- prepaid, VISA PREPAID, ATM w/PIN, POS & OFFLINE w/o PIN, with CVV, works perfectly fine with PayPal, eBay, etc.
BANCO SANTA CRUZ - with savings or payroll account, ATM w/PIN, POS & OFFLINE w/o PIN, with CVV,

In cases of all VISA with CVV, it's best to have a second "main" account (best with Libreta or ATM card you rarely use) and transfer money with an Online Banking to such account that has a VISA with CVV linked to only when you are going to make a purchase).