more corruption:police involved

donquixote

Aug 2, 2005
my daughter recently had her car stolen in the dr. she reported it to the police, gave all information.she offered a reward if located .

a few days later the police who took her information phoned her , told her they found her car but wanted to deal without the police: lol he was the police.

they wanted a certain amount which she offered less..they said they wanted the money wired in advance and gave a name who to send it too.

she sent a small deposit only which they agreed to then deliver the car and get balance of money. they phoned to say they changed their mind and wanted the balance which she refused.

the result was my daughter was at the point of so sick of the corruption and dishonesty of the country she moved back to canada...so stupid....of the dominican thieves. now she will not be buying meals, food, trips and all she spent there which was over 50,000rd per month for the past 4 years...

a lot of other people now will get less money because of the thieves that are supported by the police and the government with their leading by example the corruption

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Car-kidnapping (as opposed to carjacking) was reported in yesterday's DR1 news as the latest crime trend in the DR.

Your daughter's experience is just another confirmation that there's not much difference between the criminals and the cops.

I hope she did at least try to report the lowlife.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Well, if she didn't know how high up the line the 'carnapping cell' went, I can understand her reluctance to report because of potential retaliation. Her best bet would have been to report to Canadian Consul and get him to pass it on. Unless she had other high ranking contacts whom she knew beyond any doubt were clean.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Hearing on a day to day basis how vile and loathsome the police are, it really makes me sick to my stomach. They are not police, they never were police, and they never will be police. They are nothing but cheap ignorant thugs with a badge. It is such a terrible thing when a countrys people have to be afraid of the very ones that are supposed to be here to protect them. And the good cops can't do anything because they are surely outnumbered and afraid themselves.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Does anyone know if these car-nappings are targeting everyone equally, or are they primarily going after non-Dominicans?

Receta

Nov 6, 2009
carnapping! wow, that's a new low even for DR. Although I heard this story straight from the horses mouth. This guy sold his girlfriend's mother a car (which was previously stolen) and then stole it from his girlfriend's mother. The girlfriend knew about it, too. Not even her own mother was exempt from malfeasance. Then of course the thief resold the car to someone else. I don't know if he stole it from the "new" owner.

PrincessaDR

Nov 4, 2009
You can now have a GPS tracking devise installed and if the car is stolen it can be located in 5 minutes. cost is about 400 US per year......

donquixote

Aug 2, 2005
corruption

Yeah what's up with that?

she has not turned them in because she lives alone and is feared if the police are involved there would be worse repurcussions.
the point is the corruption in the country chases people away who do spend money and helps the local economy

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
she has not turned them in because she lives alone and is feared if the police are involved there would be worse repurcussions.

Sensible. There was the alternative I indicated in post above, to report through Canadian Consul (assuming she is Canadian). Even if she had turned them in, it is still quite a good idea to get a message out on a public forum that she hasn't......................;)

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
Once she has left the country permanently she should divulge all known information so that possibly someone can take interest. At least this way other people can be aware if they run into any of the people involved what they are up against.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
my daughter recently had her car stolen in the dr. she reported it to the police, gave all information.she offered a reward if located .

a few days later the police who took her information phoned her , told her they found her car but wanted to deal without the police: lol he was the police.

they wanted a certain amount which she offered less..they said they wanted the money wired in advance and gave a name who to send it too.

she sent a small deposit only which they agreed to then deliver the car and get balance of money. they phoned to say they changed their mind and wanted the balance which she refused.

the result was my daughter was at the point of so sick of the corruption and dishonesty of the country she moved back to canada...so stupid....of the dominican thieves. now she will not be buying meals, food, trips and all she spent there which was over 50,000rd per month for the past 4 years...

a lot of other people now will get less money because of the thieves that are supported by the police and the government with their leading by example the corruption

Please all be aware of this. It is a scam between the police and jail prisoners. The police collect the information and they pass it to the prisoners who make the call demanding money back in order to return the car. Most of the time they do not even have the car, but they will get money from you and you will assume that they have your car.

Hearing on a day to day basis how vile and loathsome the police are, it really makes me sick to my stomach. They are not police, they never were police, and they never will be police. They are nothing but cheap ignorant thugs with a badge. It is such a terrible thing when a countrys people have to be afraid of the very ones that are supposed to be here to protect them. And the good cops can't do anything because they are surely outnumbered and afraid themselves.

I realize there are bad cops in the DR but to assume most of them are bad is not correct. You have to report this type of behavior right away and move up the chain of command as you do. Believe me I know for a fact some of them are corrupt and have had dealings with them, Those cops don't even look my way if we pass in street. You can not be afraid to report these abuses or they will just continue. I also know it is a little easier for me to deal with this because of some of the people I know but you must not let these people dictate to you how you live your life.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I realize there are bad cops in the DR but to assume most of them are bad is not correct. You have to report this type of behavior right away and move up the chain of command as you do. Believe me I know for a fact some of them are corrupt and have had dealings with them, Those cops don't even look my way if we pass in street. You can not be afraid to report these abuses or they will just continue. I also know it is a little easier for me to deal with this because of some of the people I know but you must not let these people dictate to you how you live your life.

When you read so many threads and posts about corrupt police and the government in a whole, what are people supposed to think? If and when you need the help and co-operation of the police, does one really know if you are compounding the situation by asking for their assistance. For me personally, it would have to be a very very serious event before I would even talk to them. You just don't know what can of worms you could be opening.
I have learned to live a sort of low profile life here and never make any waves. It's not being afraid, It's being practical.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

No of course not all cops are corrupt, badpiece, but the problem is knowing who is & who isn't. There are cops I've known years who I could have sworn were OK and maybe they still are but who knows? Some of these have themselves (or their families) been threatened so they prefer not to make waves. Would you feel absolutely secure in reporting your issue to a no wave maker? Would you be convinced there would be no retaliation from someone else further down (or up!) the line? And if I admit after living here quite a long time, that I no longer know with absolute certainty who is OK and who isn't, what chance does a less experienced expat have? And I have to say, to challenge an assumption I sense in your post, there is nothing magical about the chain of command here. It isn't all the foot soldiers who are corrupt; there are captains and colonels also (just the price is higher :cheeky:).

You and I both have people we trust if an issue is important enough to warrant reporting. But not everyone does. And what if they make the wrong choice? They could be setting in motion a chain of events which will inexorably go downhill. It isn't a matter of 'being afraid'. The first rule has to be 'do no current or future harm to self'. One cannot continue to challenge abuses if one is locked up, extorted, run out of town or worse. One's own skin has to be first priority. You're advocating the moral highground, badpiece, and up to a couple of years ago, I would have done so too. But things have changed. Now I advocate the pragmatic highground like using Embassies and Consular reps. And above all using stealth - no trail back to the expat.

You said the corrupt cops with whom you have had dealings do not even look your way. Personally I would prefer to still be greeted by these individuals because they didn't know it was me who shopped them because I did it at three degrees of separation ;).

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
Well, if she didn't know how high up the line the 'carnapping cell' went, I can understand her reluctance to report because of potential retaliation. Her best bet would have been to report to Canadian Consul and get him to pass it on. Unless she had other high ranking contacts whom she knew beyond any doubt were clean.

I think it was more dangerous had she completed the deal and actually meet the cops than just turn them in. I can't figure out any possible way in which it would be safe for her to recover her car.

No of course not all cops are corrupt, badpiece, but the problem is knowing who is & who isn't. There are cops I've known years who I could have sworn were OK and maybe they still are but who knows? Some of these have themselves (or their families) been threatened so they prefer not to make waves. Would you feel absolutely secure in reporting your issue to a no wave maker? Would you be convinced there would be no retaliation from someone else further down (or up!) the line? And if I admit after living here quite a long time, that I no longer know with absolute certainty who is OK and who isn't, what chance does a less experienced expat have? And I have to say, to challenge an assumption I sense in your post, there is nothing magical about the chain of command here. It isn't all the foot soldiers who are corrupt; there are captains and colonels also (just the price is higher :cheeky:).

You and I both have people we trust if an issue is important enough to warrant reporting. But not everyone does. And what if they make the wrong choice? They could be setting in motion a chain of events which will inexorably go downhill. It isn't a matter of 'being afraid'. The first rule has to be 'do no current or future harm to self'. One cannot continue to challenge abuses if one is locked up, extorted, run out of town or worse. One's own skin has to be first priority. You're advocating the moral highground, badpiece, and up to a couple of years ago, I would have done so too. But things have changed. Now I advocate the pragmatic highground like using Embassies and Consular reps. And above all using stealth - no trail back to the expat.

You said the corrupt cops with whom you have had dealings do not even look your way. Personally I would prefer to still be greeted by these individuals because they didn't know it was me who shopped them because I did it at three degrees of separation ;).

I must say you are right on this matter. I have to look at it thru another eyes and situation.