preventive custody

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
I just read about murderer Jean Luis Valdez being sentenced to one year of preventive custody. This is the second time in recent memory that I've read here of such a sentence for a murderer. It sounds like a light sentence for murder. I am assuming that since there hasn't been a trial that preventive custody is like being held over for trial without bail in the USA, but would like to hear an explanation from anyone who really knows.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It means on remand while awaiting trial. Some prisoners in Dominican jails have been there for years and still haven't been tried.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
The new code of criminal procedure made preventive custody the exception, the rule being that a suspect will not be put in jail until a guilty verdict is pronounced (Art. 222) since he or she is presumed innocent until then.

Preventive custody may be ordered by a judge if there are sufficient elements that make it likely that the person has committed a crime, and that he or she may hide or flee ('existen elementos suficientes para sostener, razonablemente, que es autor o c?mplice de una infracci?n, que puede ocultarse, fugarse o ausentarse del lugar") (Art. 225).

The system is, in my opinion, more liberal than in the U.S.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And, FYI: Now they can't find the lovely Sobeida, the chick with the 4.6 million in dollars in her Humbee....gee, you think???

HB