Seeking Sandfly Repellent in Samana

Apr 8, 2005
:ermm:
I would be extremely grateful to someone who knows how to repel those awful, awful sand flies in Samana.
Thanks!!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Do you mean the regular Off Insect Repellent (with the orange can) that's sold everywhere??
Si. It has enough DEET to do the job without overkill.

Do a search on mayes. They are a nasty critter. Don't ask how I know...:paranoid:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
flap.JPG

There are a few threads about them.

Feb 15, 2005
question? How does one rid them from beachfront property? Does it require major constant spraying on a large scale?

yachtwork

Dec 14, 2009
Probably the best article on Sand fly defense is here-

The link for the rest of the free article and photos is here-
Sandfly defence

Sand Fly Defense

By Captain Scott Fratcher

New Zealand, Canada and many other countries abound with the world's finest natural scenery. They have glaciers, lakes, mountains, rivers, stunning harbors and a healthy population of sandflies.

For those that have yet to meet the sandfly they are a small black gnat like creature with a humped back. Traveler blogs refer to the sandfly as "hated, filthy, and annoying." Scientists often downgrade the sandfly to a "nuisance" category only because it is rare for anyone to die from a sandfly attack. Still some medical literature refers to sandfly bites as causing-

* ? Acute discomfort,
* ? Irritation, and
* ? Severe local reactions

In the last few years many advancements have been made in managing travel in sandfly prone areas. With a little forethought and ...

The link for the rest of the free article and photos is here-
Sandfly defence

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
:ermm:
I would be extremely grateful to someone who knows how to repel those awful, awful sand flies in Samana.
Thanks!!

sankofatravler: Someone recommended "white vanilla" as a repellent and it works. Easy to buy (super markets-colmados) inexpensive and I love the smell.
Delifruit ( the brand) in spanish (vainilla blanca)

Last edited:

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
sankofatravler: Someone recommended "white vanilla" as a repellent and it works. Easy to buy (super markets-colmados) inexpensive and I love the smell.
Delifruit ( the brand) in spanish (vainilla blanca)

Are you talking about vanilla flavoring for cooking? If so, wouldn't that attract those pesky little sugar ants?

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Are you talking about vanilla flavoring for cooking? If so, wouldn't that attract those pesky little sugar ants?

Yes, vanilla flavoring for cooking.
Even it helps to keep the mosquitoes away I have a severe allergy and the vanilla works perfect for me.
Give yourself a try...lol..
So far, I have no problems with ants...lol

Sep 22, 2009
If you're talking about "noseeums", Avon "Skin so Soft" is a miracle worker, and no need for hard insect repellents.