Upgrading to Windows 7

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Can anybody help me with the following..

I got an upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 English version. I never noticed it, as I use that many computers, but this particular one uses Vista Dutch...

So, when I start the installation with upgrade, I get the reply that as the 2 language versions are different, I have to choose custom... (which will erase all programs and settings)

Anyway to avoid this?

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Can anybody help me with the following..

I got an upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 English version. I never noticed it, as I use that many computers, but this particular one uses Vista Dutch...

So, when I start the installation with upgrade, I get the reply that as the 2 language versions are different, I have to choose custom... (which will erase all programs and settings)

Anyway to avoid this?

Send a pm to Rocky. He has been working with Windows 7 for awhile and if anyone knows the answer, he does.

pas

Jun 7, 2004
no.....
in this case you will have to do a clean instal..
or find your self a version of windows seven in dutch...
and instal that one ..
and use your code you got with your upgrade..to activate

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Are you saying that the disc will not allow you to upgrade because of the language difference's, thus leaving a custom install as the only option?
If so, as mentioned above, it would wipe everything clean, OS, programs and documents.
If there is an upgrade available to you in either language, you could accept it and then make the language change after the installation, a job that takes 15 minutes or less including downloading the language pack.
Another alternative, assuming that you must have a Dutch copy of Windows 7, would be to seek out the download on the internet (you will find it if you search enough) and burn it to a disc, do the upgrade and use your activation code.

If you are in the Sosua area, you would be welcome to drop by and let me deal with it (there is no cost, but I am off the coast of Africa right now and won't be back 'till the 21st)

Another point of interest to you is that the upgrades, although convenient. will never be quite as fast as a clean installation, for a host of reasons that I can go into detail, if you like.
So the upgrade saves you from re-installing all your programs and copying your documents to an external drive and then reloading them onto your machine, but as mentioned, you will lose fair bit of performance.

Yet another option, assuming that your hard drive is not packed with documents, and that you have lots of free space, I can make a dual boot system of your original Vista and Windows 7, so that you choose which one you want while booting up.
One of the advantages of doing this is that it gives you ample time to install your programs into the new OS, at your leisure, and the document transfer is as easy as pie, as they go from one partition to the other.
Once Windows 7 is exactly the way you want it, you can simply delete the old Vista OS, or if you prefer to keep it for any reason, then you can do so, as long as your hard drive still has 50% free space. After that, one does suffer some substantial slowdowns, as the puter has to work hard to find the data you require.

If this has served to confuse you more than help, as it sometimes does, depending on your computer knowledge level, you could wait 'till I get back and we could talk by phone or Skype, or even just bring the puter to me to have it fixed up the way you like, depending on how far away you might be.
Regards, Marco.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Rocky, thanks a lot for all the advice... and yes it was helpfull... I chose for a clean install... and it worked fine, except for skype... I somehow do not seem to be able to download skype... it locks up at 45%...

Hope you are enjoying your stay in Africa... we always loved Senegal...

Peter

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I have had difficulty with Skype and Win 7, while using the Beta version, as have many others.
Major issues with Skype 4.1.0.179 with Windows 7 32-bit‎ - 20 posts - Nov 2, 2009

I installed Skype 3.8 on Windows 7. I can sign in, but then it crashes after about 30 seconds. Is there a current fix? ...
<cite>forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=274081</cite>
<cite>

I have the version 4.1.0.166 installed on this copy of Win 7 and it works perfectly, so it may be the version or just one of those gremlins that defies explanation.
You could seek out different versions to see if you have more luck.
I have a stand alone installer that would work on Windows 7 that I could email you if you have a Yahoo email account, as most others will not allow .exe attachments. (if you do have a Yahoo account, please PM me the address, if you would like me to send the installer).

On another note, despite the extra work it created for you to have made a clean install, the benefits in performance are substantial and it'll be worth it in the end, once you're all set up.
Of course, if you prefer the OS in Dutch instead of English, you can download the language pack from Windows updates and make the changeover in minutes.

In the time that I have used and experimented with Win 7, they have come a long way in providing compatibility with hardware and software.
I have a fairly high quality Linksys wifi adaptor that would not work in a 64 bit environment and Linksys themselves offered no driver, but Microsoft has provided a driver with Windows 7 that works fine.
There was a lot of software too that was incompatible, like Superantispyware, which they have now resolved and it functions properly as well.
What with Win 7 using less resources and being a bit faster to respond than Vista, I believe you will be quite pleased with it.
If the default taskbar at the bottom of your desktop appears too big/thick, you can right click on it to properties where an option is provided (use small icons) and it will make the taskbar more normal in size.
Once you have fully installed all your software, it may be a good idea to save an image to another hard drive.
The option is available in the control panel under "Backup and Restore".
It can make a full image of OS, programs and documents in a short period of time and can be reinstalled at any time in the future, if the need arises.
Regards, Marco.</cite><cite></cite>

pas

Jun 7, 2004
the language pack download is only for the ultimate edition...
not the normale ones..

at i have skype working on my windows 7 64 bit..
no problem here

slrguy

Oct 17, 2006
Amazing. Simply amazing. The man's halfway around the world, and still taking time to help out. (I know, I know - for him, is all in a day's work...:classic:...but still....)

Reactions: Rocky

pas

Jun 7, 2004
well your welcome guys...

iff you really want a dutch version i can bring you one...
Windows 7 Home Premium
Windows 7 Professional
Windows 7 Ultimate
32 or 64 bitt versions

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Well, I made a clean install, and must say I'm happy with windows 7...

I cannot say I was impressed with their helpfunctions on how to install it... but the installation itself went without probs...

I downloaded skype on another comp, and installed it on this one... and cannot say I'm impressed... prob is I cannot tell whether the lousy sound and delay comes from my banda ancha or from skype...

Rocky, thanks for all the offers of help and great advice...

Peter

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Well, I made a clean install, and must say I'm happy with windows 7...

I cannot say I was impressed with their helpfunctions on how to install it... but the installation itself went without probs...

I downloaded skype on another comp, and installed it on this one... and cannot say I'm impressed... prob is I cannot tell whether the lousy sound and delay comes from my banda ancha or from skype...

Rocky, thanks for all the offers of help and great advice...

Peter
As well as what I mentioned to you by PM, another test you could do would be the echo123 Skype test call.
If the sound is fine, then it's your internet that causes you trouble when making a call.
If the sound is bad on the test call, then it would be your computer at fault.